It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome, Nato, to Chicago's police state

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
1. The voicing of anger against politician rulers, protesting and street assemblies in PUBLIC AREAS are sacred Constitutional Rights, to prevent tyranny and act as a channel for the masses, regardless if major or minor, to be heard, for they too, are all fellow citizens.

2. The police, are solely responsible for law and order, not by squashing citizen's rights to protest, but by being vigilant against unlawfulness by the violent in a peaceful protest. It is the JOB of the police to be alert, watch out for it, and stop it before it gets worse, the way a bouncer of pub will pull out a troublemaker before he creates hell for peaceful patrons.

Failure to do so will lay upon them, and worse if violence is inflicted upon peaceful protestors. The rule of law must prevail, observe by all, INCLUDING police officers, and they too, must be subjected to trial and justice if they had brokened the law, or the faith of the citizenery will be lost on them, leading to mistrust and chaos.

3. In the past, security agencies easily disclaimed responsibilities to terrorism alertness by claiming that they have small budget and agents handling a big nationwide area. As such, HSA was created with a huge outlay of taxpayer funding - to prevent terrorism even before it happens.

It is their job and responsiblility, so that american can freely go on with their lives as normal, not hindered in anyway or give up any further their freedom.

If the HSA fails, or sought to blame elsewhere, or seek for even more power to control the nation, then citizens must question their competence, and MUST never allow it another inch of power. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Let not the day that HSA becomes the ruler of the nation instead of Congress, the way Nazi Himmler called the shots in germany instead of the party organisation.

There must be oversight, check and balances. There is no security if we are bound and enchained unless one loves living in a solitary cell for oneself and one's loved ones to share such cells.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

You know.. if they have these damn conferences and then lock out any protest, any access, any visualization.. WHY HAVE IT IN A CITY??

How about a nice mountain resort in the middle of nowhere. How about a secure military facility. How about a @#$ telephone conference. I just don't understand ransacking a major metro area, spending billions of dollars on security, beating the crap out of protesters .. all for a summit. Have it on a frikin aircraft carrier.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Just goes to show ya- Protest all you want, but don't cry about it when you're having your butt handed to you by the Police for acting like an idiot.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

You know.. if they have these damn conferences and then lock out any protest, any access, any visualization.. WHY HAVE IT IN A CITY??

How about a nice mountain resort in the middle of nowhere. How about a secure military facility. How about a @#$ telephone conference. I just don't understand ransacking a major metro area, spending billions of dollars on security, beating the crap out of protesters .. all for a summit. Have it on a frikin aircraft carrier.

Totally agree. Of course, then they couldnt spend millions on security contracts, or gain real-world experience in urban warfare/crowd control, or further acclimate the public to the police state, or arrest trouble makers with no impunity.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

I agree with you. Why the ILLUSION of Democracy when such acts are nothing more than proven POLICE STATE? And worse with police brutality?

[sarcasm]
If the authorities are so fearful of protest, and have no faith in HSA agents to stop terrorism or police to be alert for violence, then scrap HSA and police funding, and hold ALL internation meetings in North Korea. I am sure baby Kim will welcome them with open arms. No BS there. Cheaper and more honest by far, and americans can get on with their jobs and lives.

[/sarcasm]

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dero
Just goes to show ya- Protest all you want, but don't cry about it when you're having your butt handed to you by the Police for acting like an idiot.

Hmmm. Do you have anything to say that relates to this SPECIFIC topic? Or are you just against any sort of protest, as a rule? I mean, I agree, that some people act like idiots at these things. I tend to think that this sort of protest is futile and largely accounted for, if not explicitly scripted. But to actually defend the kinds of tax dollars it takes to turn a US city into a real-deal Federal police state? Seriously?

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101

[sarcasm]
If the authorities are so fearful of protest, and have no faith in HSA agents to stop terrorism or police to be alert for violence, then scrap HSA and police funding, and hold ALL internation meetings in North Korea. I am sure baby Kim will welcome them with open arms. No BS there. Cheaper and more honest by far, and americans can get on with their jobs and lives.

[/sarcasm]

sarcasm aside, thats a very valid point.

There is ZERO reason for them to have this in a US city.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

Which guys?

Why the protestors of course.

I see. So when you said "But these guys aren't just protesting. They are there to cause trouble." you meant all 250,000 some odd protesters there?

They are ALL there to cause trouble, eh?

edit on 21-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Police in Chicago have spent $1 million on high-tech “riot-control” equipment in the last few months. Protest groups preparing to march and speak have made repeated statements of peaceful, nonviolent intent, but the new military urbanism in Chicago is determined to “leave nothing to chance.” City and corporate authorities have hired private security mercenaries to control those who oppose NATO’s U.S.-led “humanitarian” militarism. Chicago’s arch-authoritarian and super-militarist mayor Rham Emmanuel (“Rhambo”) has secured the services of county and local police from across the Chicago metropolitan area. The Chicago Police Department (CPD) recently announced that it will be receiving assistance from anti-riot cops sent by Philadelphia, Milwaukee, and Charlotte, North Carolina, home of this year’s Democratic National Convention. Illinois state troopers will work “motorcade duty” and patrol the city’s NATO security command center. Officers from across the state have been called in to help as the Associated Press reports that “Chicago Police are planning a range of crowd-control techniques.

The methods include: EXTRACTION (the removal of “individual lawbreakers from crowds to keep problems from escalating”), CUT TEAMS (“dispatched to separate protestors who have chained themselves to each other…to block traffic”), TEAR GAS/PEPPER SPRAY (“to thwart assaults on officers”), CORRALING (“surround[ing] a crowd so non one can move, a method known as ‘kettling’” and SOUND CANNONS which “emit ear-piercing noise to paralyze or disperse crowds”)..

www.indypendent.org...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
The "protest" was the biggest joke of all protests.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
The "protest" was the biggest joke of all protests.

I see. How so?

Which aspect of it?

Were you there?

Thanks for your reply.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Wow, this thread is getting trolled pretty hard by the pro-police state posters.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
One of the streams I had been watching had a pretty good view of things, and was on the front lines of most of the action.

He went to the cops throughout their line, talking to them. They were responsive to him as he was to them. Was a nice thing to see actually, in the midst of all the heat going on between the two groups.

One thing he kept saying to them that I thought was REALLY good, and stuck out to me the most, out of all the other things that went on.

He kept saying, "You guys know the difference between doing your jobs and becoming something far beyond that? It's pushing with your batons, not swinging with them."

Just kept saying that to the cops, over and over, down the line. And you could tell some of them definitely took those words to heart. You could see some of them actually switch hands, shift the batons into better pushing positions, etc. Was really cool to see.

He kept telling them, :"Hey, we're here, you're here, and we know there's a lot of bad blood going on. That doesn't mean we don't respect YOU, we just don't like what's going on in the city. This isn't about US against YOU. It's about all of us being human to each other."

That guy, seriously, impressed me, and I think if all the protesters could get an attitude like this guy, it'd open up dialogues a lot more often, as opposed to the ever-growing hatred that is going to fester into something none of us in the world really want.
edit on 21-5-2012 by Jomina because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

And as for the curtailing of the civil liberties. Well that's the fault of the protesters. If the protests were peaceful there wouldn't be an issue.
But when you throw in anarchists in the mix. And they start hitting cops. Well it's not a peacefull protest anymore. A bad few apples ruin things for everyone else.

What fecking tripe. Cops beat the crap out of all sorts of people. And their very presence,in riot gear, shutting down public space for a PRIVATE NATO meeting is the curtailing of civil liberties. The protesters are just there pointing it out.

Try as you might, you cant defend the police state and try to pretend you are a conservative.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Hey Hoe Tep, you need to get yourself more info. They bussed in the crowds from New York and elsewhere with the help of an anonymous donor. "Open your eye's before your mouth".

Everyone thinks their knowledge is superior to others, it's not.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by D1Useek

Hey Hoe Tep, you need to get yourself more info. They bussed in the crowds from New York and elsewhere with the help of an anonymous donor. "Open your eye's before your mouth".

Everyone thinks their knowledge is superior to others, it's not.

Fascinating. Do you have sources for your superior knowledge, or should i just take your word for it?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join