It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N.C. teacher tells student he could be arrested for talking badly about Obama

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
This begs the question,does the teacher really believe this or are they one of the ones that are still "mesmerized" by Obama's 2008 campaign speeches that theyll defend him no matter what is true or not true..aka in denial?

ETA: Sorry about the caps in the title, it was a copy/paste

Source

Last Monday, a high school student in North Carolina engaged his social studies teacher in a heated debate about politics and the two leading presidential candidates. During the exchange, the teacher (an obvious Obama supporter) got very angry with the student and accused him of disrespecting the president. She even went so far as to tell the boy that he could be jailed for speaking ill of Obama. Sarah Campbell of the Salisbury Post first reported on the story. She claims that the school district is not releasing the name of the teacher and that she is not responding to requests for public comment (although the two students identified her to the newspaper). According to Campbell’s story, the teacher will not be suspended or even face disciplinary action for what was heard on the recording. A statement from the school was released at the end of the week: “The Rowan-Salisbury School System expects all students and employees to be respectful in the school environment and for all teachers to maintain their professionalism in the classroom. This incident should serve as an education for all teachers to stop and reflect on their interaction with students. Due to personnel and student confidentiality, we cannot discuss the matter publicly.”

edit on 20-5-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-5-2012 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I don't think just lame talks about Obama will get you in jail. Talking as if you are trying to commit a crime against him is what will get you in jail for sure!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
This begs the question,does the teacher really believe this or are they one of the ones that are still "mesmerized" by Obama's 2008 campaign speeches that theyll defend him no matter what is true or not true..aka in denial?

Seems like two Trollish statements hiding in a loaded question.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheEnlightenedOne

Yea, obviously threatening harm or death towards any President will get you in hot water but I dont thats the case here.
However, I wouldnt doubt if cases like this become more and more frequent and people will actually start being arrested for criticizing heir furor.

Seems like two Trollish statements hiding in a loaded question

Its my opinion, no trolling involved..If thats all you get out of the post, then you're welcome to ignore it.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Maybe that's where we are headed.
Like in the past when the King was insulted the perp was likely killed.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars

Originally posted by Juggernog

Seems like two Trollish statements hiding in a loaded question.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

edit on 20-5-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem

Votes? Obama agrees !

Chicago Politics.....

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by popsmayhem

Votes? Obama agrees !

Chicago Politics.....

the secret service is going
to give us a visit if we aint careful

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

No harm at all !!!!

The pic,was relevant to the post,cause it was meant as satire .......

I thought it was a hell of a funny response!!!!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Having read the article and reviewed the video the following can be stated:

The teacher needs to learn the lesson, that was once taught to a nation long ago, and that being: Dissention does not equal disloyalty. Speaking ill of a sitting leader or government in this country is not a crime, it never has been, nor should it be considered such. Those who disagree with the current government and who vote have a lot of weight to criticize and speak ill of their government. Even a sitting president, no matter how it is or when they were sitting in office. Every president, from the first to the current have always had those who did not agree with their policies or even who they were. No matter who they were, people found reasons to not like them. That is the way of the world. And we as citizens of the USA have the right to call and even criticize openly a sitting president, no matter what.

On the flip side, the student needs to do a bit more research in his arguments and not try to make the instructor look bad, as well as, have his facts right there to call the teacher on such. If he is in the wrong, he needs to understand such.

The bottom line of this entire thing, is that politics and religion, if in a heated debate, should be moderated and the person moderating such needs to remain neutral, not take one side of the other.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Ahh yea... Chicago politics

And that legacy will continue with Rahm Emanuel involved.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
It is hard to believe morons such as this are allowed anywhere near children in a greater capacity than an oil dipstick on a car.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
These are the people teaching our children.... no wonder we have to keep lowering the bar. Sounds like she should work for metro.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doalrite
These are the people teaching our children.... no wonder we have to keep lowering the bar. Sounds like she should work for metro.

Haha, yep... If the kids are failing, just lower the bar. Then in 3 or so years, the next batch will start failing, rinse n repeat..

Source

The Florida Board of Education voted unanimously to lower the passing grade for a state writing test after complaints from educators that the state pushed through tests with inadequate time for teachers and students to prepare, the News-Press out of Fort Myers, Fla., reports.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
To me it sounds like the student really riled this teachers feathers. Think back to any very heated arguments you've had and how easy it is to throw out an empty threat here or there simply because you're frustrated and you end up running your mouth off.

I know when I get into a heated 'discussion' with the spouse I sometimes say things I really don't mean.

Just saying, I doubt this teacher actually thought the kid would or could get sent to jail, she was probably just trying to frighten the kid because of how frustrated she was, possibly losing ground in the argument in front of an audience.

Just my 2 cents.

edit on 20-5-2012 by seeker11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
listening to that video one could jump to a card played a lot lately it rimes with RACE!!!
edit on 20-5-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
If you get to trash talk one side you get to trash talk the other side.

Bad teacher.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Reading the article, I agree, the teacher was completely in the wrong. The students sounded like the rational adults during the argument.

It sounds like the teacher was trying to bully and intimidate the students into agreeing with her side. This teacher should, at the very least, be suspended.

On a side note, I had a history teacher in middle school that gave a yearly lecture on the JFK assassination. Every year he'd spend a day going over the official history of the assassination with his students. He'd then spend a day going over evidence that countered the official story. He never told his students what to believe, he just gave them the facts and let them judge for themselves. Easily the most enlightening lesson of my life. It taught me to never take what you see, read, or hear at face value and to always ask questions. I learned that asking "what, why, when, and where" is not a crime, and not something to be ashamed of.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Typical Union thuggery.

Twas 1991, Freshman in College, and I get this question from a Political Science teacher: What Constitutional amendment would you change? I responded "The one the restricts Presidents to 2 terms". The teacher asked why. I responded "Because Reagan would still be President." Couldn't make out her full response but the expression on her face was not an approving one.
edit on 20-5-2012 by Carseller4 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join