It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to make my own Mjolnir

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
After seeing Thor in the Avegrers and his mighty hammer I really wanted one. His mjonir looked so epic I thought I should try to forge my own. What matereal did it looke like it was made of that is able to be forged into a hammer? and what would I need to do the ingraving? FYI mjonir means in old norse somethig that smashes. and I like weapons that smash or crush. Weapons experts; I need advice on equipment and matereals to forge a replica of thors hammer.
edit on 19-5-2012 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
You can buy one here....

www.amazon.com...

or learn how to diy here...

www.instructables.com...

I would suggest finding a blacksmith or perhaps a metallurgist to get some hands on experience.It would seem that all you need is a large amount of metal and a good piece of hickory. If you used aluminum it would be easier to engrave and would not be too heavy.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I would also suggest seeing the movie Thor as it is way better than Avengers

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by paranormal78

Simply look for a large meat tenderizer. I've seen them not quite that big, but your muscles are probably not quite as Thor's either. Good luck in your search. I understand batteries not included in those from Ebay.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a block of metal that big would be quite heavy.I had a Death Dealer axe head made up as close as I could to the original picture.It weighs about 10 lbs.So to replicate the Marvel characters hammer would be to create a trophy because it would not be a weapon you could wield.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

You'll need a soft/ mild steel.
You'll need anvil or other hard flat surface you can beat on for hours.
You'll need a forge and blower
coals lots of coal
many tools, its not going to be quick, easy or cheap.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

Holy crap, Redbarron--thanks for that Instructables site!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

First things first, find 100Lbs of iron, fold it 4000 times and then another 4000 times using only one arm to flatten and fold.
After that, your arm might be big enough to wield a hammer worthy of the name mjolnir.
Then get your materials together for the hammer.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

First things first, find 100Lbs of iron, fold it 4000 times and then another 4000 times using only one arm to flatten and fold.
After that, your arm might be big enough to wield a hammer worthy of the name mjolnir.
Then get your materials together for the hammer.

What he said!

IF you really want to forge a hammer. Old leaf springs from cars are high quality metal. You can heat and fold and forge them into your hammer. Pick the type of handle you want ahead of time so you can forge it right into the hammer. I would think an oval shaped iron handle with finger grooves. Probably forge the handle first, and then build it into the mighty hammer itself. If you really did the whole thing yourself and created some popeye arms in the process, then maybe you could swing the giant thing.

Personally, I'd take a little Krav Maga and buy a .380 to conceal. That combination seems a lot more effective than a giant hammer.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

disregard all of the above advice
as it's obvious they know not whereof they speak.

Mjolnyr is made of URU-metal
which is the 1st thing you need to make one of your own

good luck on your quest for finding some

edit on 20-5-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
it is an impossible task, you require a svartálfar skilled with a blacksmiths tools, good luck.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
To forge a honking big metal hammer what you'd need is a forge, an anvil, smaller hammers to make the bigger hammer, Time, patience, and some steel or iron.

Steps:

1. forge the handle out of I'd guess some bar stock or if you want to get fancy some oval stock if you can find it.
a. In order to do this you would take your oval stock and heat it in the forge until it glows a cherry red then beat
metal into the shape you want using your hammers and the anvil. You will probably have to reheat the metal
several times while in this process
B. When making this handle make it so the end you will insert into the hammer is actually a half inch or so too
long so that a nub will be sticking out of the top of the hammer. You'll actually use this nub to secure the
head and the handle together.
C. Once you have the handle in the shape you want it put it on a metal lathe and turn down section that is
going to be inserted into hammer head so it is a standardized size that you can make with a drill bit and at
least an 1/8 of an inch less in diameter than the rest of the handle. (Ideally you will want the part you grip
to be an oval and the part you put into the hammer head to be circular.) So now you have a handle with an
oval shaped grip shaft and a circular end for sticking into the hammer head which will extend about a half
inch above the top of the hammer head.
D. Since you have softened the metal appreciably by working it you might want to heat treat the handle so it will resist bending once you have the hammer built, do not heat treat the nub that will stick up above the top of
of the hammer because we will be pounding this nub down to seat the hammer head to the shaft.
en.wikipedia.org...

2. Forge the hammer head.... this will be difficult you will need to start with mutliple pieces of steel and forge them all together into a big giant block. This block will be heavy and hard to work with.
a. I'd go about this by using sheets of 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch steel and heating two at a time which I"d then attempt to fold around each other then hammer the hell out of it until it makes one piece out of the two.
b. After you've made I'd say a good half a dozen of these super sheets I'd combine two of the super sheets
again folding and hammering until it's one piece of steel not two. At this point you're still not worrying about
the shape all that much you are just trying to get a large enough hunk of metal to build the hammer head
C. After you've combined all the super sheets into one massive block you can now begin to shape the hammer
head. Again you will be heating it up and pounding the snot out of it until it looks like a hammer head which
can take anywhere from a few hours to a couple days.
D. Take a drill press and drill a hole through the center of your hammer head that matches the size you turned
the hammer head shaft to.
E. Insert the hammer shaft into the hammer head and then heat the 1/2 inch extension beyond the top of the
hammer head in the forge and pound it down so that it secures the hammer head to the shaft.

And with that you will have a Thor like hammer. I doubt you'll be able to lift it and swing it since it'll be pretty darn heavy but it'll probably look pretty cool

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Thanks for all of your advice everyone. For what I was thinking I might make it out of solid pure steel and plate it with something shiny and easy to ingrave like aluminum or silver plating to give it that movie look. And thors hammer in the Thor and avengers movie is not to big relatively speeking. A brute gravity hammer from the video game halo 3 would be much bigger! Thors hammer is big enough to be used with one hand..... By him any way. Not sure on the exact dimentions of his hammer. Any one have an idea on the size of it? I need a good measurement to work with. In the movie Thor it was forged in a dying star so I doubt I can make it exact in detail as good as marvel studios did but I can try to accomplish the challenge.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

It's at least twice as big as a regular 10 lb sledge. Probably 25 to 30 pounds, with a short handle. Not an easy thing to wield, but not impossible. Maybe you could put a foam core in it to lighten it up and absorb reverberations? Could get the size and the look needed, and still have enough weight to be impressive, flex your muscles, and put a nice whammy on something or someone, but keep it around 10-12 lbs?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Great to hang on your wall. Not practical to use unless of course you have the strength of Thor himself. I'm a carpenter at times and often swing a 28 oz. framing hammer for hours on end. I can't imagine swinging a mjolnir to defend yourself. You'll get whacked before you can set up to attack...

Good project though.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I'm a carpenter at times and often swing a 28 oz. framing hammer for hours on end.

Yep, been there! Even after your muscles get used to it, you still get that "ringing" in the nerve endings all night long. Wake up with hands numb and burning. No fun!

I can't imagine swinging a mjolnir to defend yourself. You'll get whacked before you can set up to attack...

Good project though.

Yep, people often make that mistake when trying to use baseball bats for self defense. I've taken away some baseball bats from dummies, and I've shown my wife and a few others how to use them appropriately instead of handing them over to their attackers.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Step by step...

one: Summon lightning into a lump of meteor metal.
two: Duck.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
When you finish making your weapon, can you post the pictures?

Thank you.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626
You can buy one here....

www.amazon.com...

or learn how to diy here...

www.instructables.com...

I would suggest finding a blacksmith or perhaps a metallurgist to get some hands on experience.It would seem that all you need is a large amount of metal and a good piece of hickory. If you used aluminum it would be easier to engrave and would not be too heavy.

Geez! You gotta really love The Avengers to fork out that kind of money for a hammer!!! I'm in the wrong line of work apparently. I am not sure I would pay that much for the real thing...

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I could. it will take time and money tho.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join