It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Fireball Touchdown in Mexico

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Possible Fireball Touchdown in Mexico

www.eluniversal.com.mx

Civil Protection Authorities of Veracruz seeking in the mountainous area north of the state of an object that fell from the sky at about 10 and half of Friday night.

Early reports indicate that the impact could be in the community belonging to San Jose Chicharrín Atenco Puebla or in Martinez de la Torre or Tlapacoyan, Veracruz side.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.eluniversal.com.mx
edit on 19-5-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Reading while posting, I will try to find an english language source asap.

Seem like the object made the land shake in that area.

The article says it was reported in twiter too.

@ EuropeanHeart wrote "we saw in La Herradura, a blue light flying at full speed."

@ GrafvonCuadra question "Does anyone know about the object that hit the immediacy of Huixquilucan?"

"Anyone know what was something you saw in the sky and fell. Was like fire with green light. I got scared," said @ helen_velazquez"

www.eluniversal.com.mx
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
interesting..i shall have to keep an eye on this...nice find..

it could be a meteor i guess but they don't usually have ''blue/green'' lights do they? i am no expert

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Very interesting, looking forward to hearing what it is...Wonder how the News if it makes it that far will explain it.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Awesome find! S&F

I saw a meteorite fall once. It had a lot of different colors and was beautiful in an otherworldly way. Never will forget it.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Here another source :

(Translation)

An unidentified flying object until alerted residents of several states of the Republic, and that at approximately 22:00 hours on Friday, a light across the sky rattling windows and doors of houses that were in his trajectory.

www.publimetro.com.mx...!rXmwiUeAY1D6/

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ph03n1x

it could be a meteor i guess but they don't usually have ''blue/green'' lights do they? i am no expert

I think the color depends of what is it made of.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I let google translate the article, which was a poor translation, but could someone translate for me the caption under the picture? Thanks in advance

Interesting there was shaking felt after...must have been something substantial.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
someone in mexico go taste the water and tell us if its bitter. that could be wormwood.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Ph03n1x

it could be a meteor i guess but they don't usually have ''blue/green'' lights do they?

Yes, it's a type of meteor called a "bolide"

edit on 5/19/2012 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
One more source from Mexico :

(Translation)

The Government, through the Directorate General of Civil State, reports that after versions of a glow in the sky and thunder in the border zone of San Jose Acateno, Puebla and Martinez de la Torre, Veracruz, people of both Civil Protection entities are doing a tour in the area.

www.oronoticias.com.mx...

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Here too :

Brigades that are in the area alerted a wildfire in the area where the object was dropped and know how far away is of the population.

www.oronoticias.com.mx...

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

The footnotes on that pic just says that is a pic taken by a twitter user. I don't know if that is confirmed.

I apologize with all, I can't find any english language source yet. The info seems to be still too fresh. Not even all mexican newspapers have it. I guess translations are at least better than wait for english sources.

UPDATE :

Regarding the photo, not the event :

(translation)

Twitter is already circulating a photo, but it is false, corresponds to that of other meteor sightings from Central America in years past.

www.sexenio.com.mx...

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
As StealthyKat stated above, at this point, I would guess a superbolide:

Since my first link was rejected, here is another:

Fireballs this bright belong to a rare category of meteors called superbolides. They are caused by small asteroids measuring a few to 10 meters in diameter and massing hundreds of metric tons. Superbolides trigger seismic detectors on the ground, produce waves of infrasound that can travel thousands of miles, and they are tracked by military satellites scanning Earth for nuclear explosions. Recent examples include the El Paso fireball of 1997 and the Slovenian Superbolide of 2007.

source
edit on 19-5-2012 by kalunom because: (no reason given)

Edit again to add: But if the pic provided in the original story is not of this event...who knows?
edit on 19-5-2012 by kalunom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I'm not saying it was Kukulcan...

...but it was Kukulcan.
edit on 19-5-2012 by AMANNAMEDQUEST because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
The photo of the meteorite in the OP is NOT of the reported event. Its a file photo already used as an example of a bolide

May 10, 2010
Early risers spot green fireball over Central Md.

© Baltimore Sun

fireballs-meteorites.blogspot.com...

Also used here
a-good-article.blogspot.com...

and here
au.ibtimes.com...

and here
surabaya.detik.com...

Google Image Search Results
edit on 19-5-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Did any missile defense stations go on red alert

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

can we get this story in English?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

It was a green fireball, why would they go on red alert?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman

Originally posted by Ph03n1x

I think the color depends of what is it made of.

The composition of the object can influence the colour, but so can the velocity, and in many cases the colour is heavily influenced by the gaseous composition of the atmosphere, which varies with altitude.

Another major factor influencing what colours are reported in a meteor, is human visual perception. It's not unusual for two people observing next to each other, to report the same meteor as having different colours. So not much importance is attached to the reported colors of meteors.

For more consistent/meaningful observations of colour, researchers will usually resort to photography, which usually involves using a diffraction grating to obtain meteor spectra. From a meteor spectrum it's possible to tell which elements are present.

Can fireballs appear in different colors?

Vivid colors are more often reported by fireball observers because the brightness is great enough to fall well within the range of human color vision. These must be treated with some caution, however, because of well-known effects associated with the persistence of vision. Reported colors range across the spectrum, from red to bright blue, and (rarely) violet. The dominant composition of a meteoroid can play an important part in the observed colors of a fireball, with certain elements displaying signature colors when vaporized. For example, sodium produces a bright yellow color, nickel shows as green, and magnesium as blue-white. The velocity of the meteor also plays an important role, since a higher level of kinetic energy will intensify certain colors compared to others. Among fainter objects, it seems to be reported that slow meteors are red or orange, while fast meteors frequently have a blue color, but for fireballs the situation seems more complex than that, but perhaps only because of the curiosities of color vision as mentioned above.

The difficulties of specifying meteor color arise because meteor light is dominated by an emission, rather than a continuous, spectrum. The majority of light from a fireball radiates from a compact cloud of material immediately surrounding the meteoroid or closely trailing it. 95% of this cloud consists of atoms from the surrounding atmosphere; the balance consists of atoms of vaporized elements from the meteoroid itself. These excited particles will emit light at wavelengths characteristic for each element. The most common emission lines observed in the visual portion of the spectrum from ablated material in the fireball head originate from iron (Fe), magnesium (Mg), and sodium (Na). Silicon (Si) may be under-represented due to incomplete dissociation of SiO2 molecules. Manganese (Mn), Chromium (Cr), Copper (Cu) have been observed in fireball spectra, along with rarer elements. The refractory elements Aluminum (Al), Calcium (Ca), and Titanium (Ti) tend to be incompletely vaporized and thus also under-represented in fireball spectra.

Source: The American Meteor Society Fireball FAQs

top topics

<<   2 >>

join