It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK - Green Cars To Incur More Taxes Due to Lack of Fuel Duty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Professor Stephen Glaister, director of the RAC Foundation, said:

As drivers endure record prices at the pumps they might be surprised to learn that future governments face a ‘drought’ in motoring tax income.

The irony is that while ministers encourage us to buy greener, leaner cars, they are being forced to look at ways of clawing back the money motorists think they are saving. This isn’t scaremongering. The Treasury has already announced a review of VED bands to ensure drivers make a ‘fair contribution’ to the public finances as cars become more fuel efficient.

---
Link

I wonder what they will do with hydrogen cars. I would guess they will start taxing water and air!

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by komp_uk

The 'green' governement bandwagon was always about removing money from our pockets into those of the government. The Treasury has merely confirmed it.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Great news!

I always like it when the government comes up to my expectations.

I knew they'd tax the greener cars sooner or later, making them less appealing than petrol cars.

Bravo Mr. Government! ... Us human beings love being empowered by you into slavery!

I must add ... The green Camaro in the links looks SMASHING!!!

edit on 17/5/12 by faryjay because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by komp_uk

It is not a surprise
They have put a tax on hot pies
And i read the other day that cakes sweets fizzy drinks etc are inline for more tax to try and stop fat people eating so much junk food

Cran

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by cranspace

Yeah, a tax on everything!

My question is, when will they tax the air that we breathe?

I'm sure someone's working on a meter that will calculate how much oxygen we use.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by faryjay
reply to post by cranspace

Yeah, a tax on everything!

My question is, when will they tax the air that we breathe?

I'm sure someone's working on a meter that will calculate how much oxygen we use.

We Australians have been burdened with the 'Carbon Tax', which is in effect, a tax on the air we breathe.
Marvelous isn't it?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace
reply to post by komp_uk

It is not a surprise
They have put a tax on hot pies
Cran

I always wondered how they can pull this off as they are hot as a by-product of cooking them, no-one eats a raw pasty from a bakery.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

Ouch!

I hope you all breathe on a rota basis then!

How much do you lot for carbon tax?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
How much more tax can the government squeeze out of motorists
It costs £1.46 for a litre of diesel another £180 odd for yearly tax disc on a family car
More tax on an electric car with a range of about 100 miles and about 12 hours to fully recharge no good for a long trip
If they up the taxes for green cars you just lose the incentive to buy one in the firt place

I always wondered how they can pull this off as they are hot as a by-product of cooking them, no-one eats a raw pasty from a bakery.

You can get round this tax by paying for a cold one then ask them to heat it up

Cran

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
So in other words, all the mealey mouthed and headline grabbing words about first of all 'peak oil' then 'man made Global warming' then 'man made Climate change' (not the same things btw) and feigned concerns about protecting our ecology and environment resulting in so called carbon taxes, massive taxes piled on oil based fuel, and other 'Greenhouse gas' producing energy systems...was demonstrably a load of bollocks.

Well it must have been...as this proves beyond argument that the sentiment is such that the Government, despite years of ripping the public off with punitive taxation in using the environment as the justification, considers protecting the revenue stream coming from these 'dirty fuels', significantly more important than it worries about 'Climate change' and environmental pollution.

As has been said, why would they make the very vehicles that offer a means to eliminate the transport generated Greenhouse gas emissions they claim concerns them so, a LESS attractive proposition compared to 'the dirty vehicles'?

All the time the uptake of 'green' transport was negligable, they could happily bleat on about how dirty the traditional combustion engined vehicles were in comparison, and tax the hell out of them in an ever increasing tax esculator...now the uptake of the greener 'saviour of our planet' cars is threatening to cut into the tax raising scam, they will make them less attractive, by applying higher tax on them!

I can't be the only one that sees what's going on here? The whole thing is a long, drawn out fraud being purpetrated upon the British people, and those of plenty of other nations.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I would say, "Typical Tories," but of course we all know whatever government we have to suffer with in the UK is going to tax us all to hell and back.

I can remember when diesel engines were finally reaching the stage where they were going "mainstream" into non-commercial vehicles. Next thing we know, the costs savings associated with diesel motoring is hoovered up by taxation.

Pasty tax, granny tax, green tax, blue tax, sweet tax, tic tax (see what I did there, bit of humour eh).

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

Everywhere has a carbon tax now, m8.

Do try and keep up.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by komp_uk

Hot as in bought hot, once they have gone cold they are tax free. My girlfriend works for Greggs the bakers and to get around the "pasty tax", they are not allowed to say the fresh pastries are hot, they have to say "They've just come out of the oven". Don't ask me how that works, she's the one who works there.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by BMorris

My post was not in dispute that we aren't the only ones with a Carbon Tax.
My post was in reply to that we have a tax that is basically a tax on the air we breath.

Whether other countries also have such a tax was not a relevant remark in my post.

Do try and keep up.

top topics

join