It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops stole my Dads gun

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

I WANT MY GRANDFATHERS GUN BACK IT HAD SENTIMENTAL VALUE I HATE COPS

I think your anger is misplaced.

The cops operated according to the federal and state laws which I provided in my last post.

If you are going to hate something, hate the law. If you are going to hate someone, hate the representatives who passed said laws. But then if you hate the representatives, who are elected by you and your fellow citizens, then you and your fellow citizens are partly to blame as well.
edit on 19-5-2012 by areyouserious2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Why would they destroy it though? Wouldn't it just sit in an evidence room, I dont get it?

When it comes to firearms and releasing them, it must be proven who the firearm belongs to. It would be bad policy to release it to whomever claimed it with no proof of ownership.

I agree, if your father can prove, somehow, the shotgun belonged to him it should be released back to him as long as he was not in violation of the Ohio law I cited in my previous post.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by areyouserious2010

It sounds like no matter what the police do, if you dont agree with it, they are dirty. Thats not how it works, friend.

Don't even pal. I'm as fair minded with the police as anyone. If you live in some dream world where most of the police aren't dirty ? Then stop reading cause I will shatter your world. Even the good cops that I've had long conversations with agree with everything I've said. One even filled me in about the codes that go into computers to let every one know, " the piece belongs to police ".

You want to stick up for them fine ? I do it quite often. Sympathize with them when ever I can. But I've known to much for to long and seen even more to have you tell me I don't know ? None of your ifs, apply to my partners piece or they would've told him so !
They strait up kept it. After making the mistake of notifying him that it turned up. No one was charged in connection. Got it !

Sure there are plenty of enabling laws for them to accomplish these DIRTY lil deals. What's new about that ?
You've provided sqwat.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Two things:

First,

leaving a gun at a house where there is a danger of a domestic disturbance is a really poor idea. This IS routine for most police in most jurisdictions. Look at it from their point of view. Most police are killed responding to domestic disputes. And if you relative is killed by that gun in the next domestic at that address, then your family will SUE the cops because they left a dangerous gun where there had been a domestic previously.

In a small town, if they know your dad and believe him, they might let him take it home. But what is to stop your dad from "leaving" it at the same house later. And when someone gets killed, the lawyers SUE the cops for returning the gun when they knew your dad leaves it in dangerous homes. That is EXACTLY the kind of lawyer driven society we live in. And depending on your address, Your local government is already spending between 2 and 10 percent of its budget answering these kind of lawsuits.

To be honest, leaving a gun at a home where there is domestic problems was asking for trouble. Don't leave the family relics where people are bound to get violent. Did your Dad leave it there thinking he was protecting your sister? Or does he like to go hunting with your estranged brother-in-law.

There are probably a few homes that shouldn't have guns, and that house sounds like one of them. Just sayin'.

Second,

This is why you have a gun safe.

If It was locked, and you don't have the key on your key-ring, you can say that paw-paw has the only key, and we don't even think he keeps guns in there any more, just legal papers. So what are the cops gonna do, Get a floor jack and pry it off the anchors in the cement floor (don't bother having a gunsafe if you don't anchor it to the walls and floor). That sounds too much like work for most cops to participate in without a union rep present. And if they go away to get some tools, it will be empty when they return with a warrant, right?

So, two things:

1) Don't leave a gun where people need the police to intervene in their love-life

2) Keep guns locked up, or at least have them locked up by the time po-po walks in the house.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I'm as fair minded with the police as anyone.

Really?

One other thing I can think of that might help. That I discovered over 32 arrests.

Quoted from this post.

By your own admission, you have been arrested 32 times. Correct?

I would understand someone being arrested once or twice and still maintaining an unbiased opinion on the police. After one or two arrests, I would be more inclined to believe you MAY have been wrongly accused or some other circumstance exists.

After the 31 and 32 arrest, it can be reasonably concluded that you make it a habit to engage in criminal activities. Police make it a habit to go after people who engage in criminal activity.

If you live in some dream world where most of the police aren't dirty ? Then stop reading cause I will shatter your world.

I am shocked that after your 32 arrest, you think most police are dirty. If most police were dirty, and you seem to engage in criminal activity based on your arrest record, why are those same dirty police not working with you instead of arresting you?

Even the good cops that I've had long conversations with agree with everything I've said. One even filled me in about the codes that go into computers to let every one know, " the piece belongs to police ".

I am sorry but I would not expect a "good" police officer to have long, personal conversations with someone who has been arrested 32 times. So, either you are not being totally truthful, or you have been talking with a "not so good" police officer.

None of your ifs, apply to my partners piece or they would've told him so !
They strait up kept it. After making the mistake of notifying him that it turned up. No one was charged in connection. Got it !

So we are just supposed to take your word for it? The gun did not just magically appear in a police officer's lap while he was on patrol. It is reasonable to assume the gun was used in some sort of other criminal enterprise and was recovered by the police making it not only evidence in the crime of taking it from your "partner's" house but also whatever crime it was being used in when the officer recovered it. Also, if your "partner" has the same arrest record as your's, he reasonably would not have been able to pass the background check in order for the police to release it back to him.

Sure there are plenty of enabling laws for them to accomplish these DIRTY lil deals. What's new about that ?
You've provided sqwat.

So you are saying the federal and state legislature's intent of passing the laws I cited was to allow police officers to treat the evidence room as their own personal gun store?

I would say that is a little far fetched. I would say that it was violent acts that propelled the legislature into action to pass said laws.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yes sir. Agreed. 100%.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Why would they destroy it though? Wouldn't it just sit in an evidence room, I dont get it?

I don't think they destroyed it either. Typically they don't destroy guns one at a time as they come in...they collect them and store them until they have a good load of them and then do a mass destruction...one at a time would be a pain in the ass paperwork and time consuming.

I'm not sure the process is though as the cop brings it into the department...it's not evidence, so I would go down and ask the procedure they use when they confiscate a gun that is not evidence. Wouldn't they also have some kind of info in the report that they took a gun? I would ask for the report too. If it is not in the report then it may have never made it to the police department....

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I would understand someone being arrested once or twice and still maintaining an unbiased opinion on the police. After one or two arrests, I would be more inclined to believe you MAY have been wrongly accused or some other circumstance exists.

Ha Ha see but you don't know me partner. Yes 32 ! And I was guilty of every petty thing I got arrested for. But I never had a violent arrest. And the cops in my old stomping grounds towards the end of those days, upon making contact with me ? I had them looking for ways not to take me in.
Got let go some times. One time they looked at me and said, " Damn it Randy ! Dispatch says we gotta bring you in on this one ". I held out my wrists and said, " Wrap it up ". Don't get me wrong ? The stuff I was into back then never got me any prison time.
Never caught a number. All misdomeaner crap and I would be out again in a month.

County in Calif. is like camp snoopy. So my point ? Just because the cops had to do thier job ? I didn't hold that against them. Hell that's life ! I could tell you a lot of amazingly humorous things that went on between me and popo. But I'm just trying to give you some idea of the relationship that was evolving between me and them. Because of my attitude. Don't even start thinking I was an informant or some jacked up crap like that either.
Not the case at all.

I don't think thier dirty I know it ! It's not a judgement when its a fact ! Doesn't mean i'd be any different if I were the police. The cops knew a few things when they rolled up on Randy. They weren't in any kind of danger by me.
And if they took me in ? I'd have em laughing their asses off by the time we got to county.

So you are saying the federal and state legislature's intent of passing the laws I cited was to allow police officers to treat the evidence room as their own personal gun store?

Where did I say that ? You need to watch what you read into things a little closer. And NOOOO!
I was pointing out thier are laws that work in thier favor to enable these types of goings on.

You're like granny in a sewing circle.

edit on 19-5-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Ya, people who haven't experienced that just would not get it. I've only been arrested 6 times, and only spent 1 night in jail. If I had been taken in every time the cops showed up at one of our rowdy events, or every time I deserved to be arrested, it would probably be more like your 32.

I know exactly what you mean about having the cops looking for reasons not to take you in. If you are polite, respectful, and such, then the majority of the time they are very polite and respectful as well. I have played a hardass once or twice, and once it was successful and a higher ranking officer came out and took care of schooling his rookie, but the other time..... well, did I mention spending 1 night in jail?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Have your dad file a police report saying the police took his gun along with the date and address.

Get a lawyer.

Your dads entitled to compensation for his private property if the State took it and destroyed it. You are also entitled to a little extra since that piece of property was a family heirloom and had extra value. If you have a good lawyer you are also entitled to fees you had to pay to rent a shotgun while yours was gone to go and shoot clay targets.

Case closed.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I understand that Serious has questions like he does ? To people who have never been in any trouble it must seem like every arrest the cops make threatens society. I can tell you have a better understanding of the actual hands on popo perp relations GR. I myself have never given the police anywhere a badtime. I've never understood why anyone would ? See I caught on fast when they beat my partner up and left him in a field instead of arresting him. He has the scars and bridge work to this day to prove it.

Serious

So we are just supposed to take your word for it?

No !
I expect you to hit the streets runn'in a muck and get arrested 32 times to get the full experience.

edit on 19-5-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Case closed.

I know I sound like a street thug, know it all, jailhouse lawyer. I swear I only sort of use to be.
But you just told OP exactly how to open a whole new can of snakes.

OP let it go ! After a few personal attempts of politely trying to recover the gun if you fail ? The best thing you can do is move on. Cause believe me it can get a lot uglier than it is now. If you start causing embarassment to the P.D..

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Every single post of yours in every thread is praising cops, you are a shill or either a cop yourself.

edit on 20-5-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Every single post of yours in every thread is praising cops, you are a shill or either a cop yourself.

How did I praise the police in this thread?

I provided you with the state and federal laws that pertain to the events that you described.

You tried this argument in another thread as well.

It wasnt very effective because the OP of that post even admitted that I make good points.

I feel that when I make a good argument against you, or other unreasonable people, you attempt to dismiss what I say by claiming I am some sort of conspirator or police officer.

One does not need to be a police officer or conspirator to RESEARCH the law and how it pertains to a certain situation.

Instead of posting "cops STOLE my dad's gun" just to have other unreasonable people jump on the band wagon and justify your unreasonable hatred for the police, you could have just done the research yourself.

Look at who is giving you advice. A guy that has admitted to being arrested 32 times. 32 times is no where near a regular number of times. You think everyone has been arrested anywhere near that many times? No. And the guy who has been arrested 32 times thinks the police are dirty? Big surprise there.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

There is no way I can say your points aren't good points.

But I think being arrested 32 times, if i tell you there not the right points ? You damn well better listen. Sure i had a decent relationship with the cops who got use to me. Is that so unbelievable ? It isn't to me. Does that mean they wouldn't pull some crap and beat the hell out of me, if I gave them a bunch of crap? Hell no. They would've beat me down no problem. Is that legal ? No but they do it everyday. By the same token if you're cool to them they'll open right up like anyone else and talk to you. Tell where you messed up, all kinds of crap.

If you never been arrested then you haven't got a clue.
By the way the only thing on my record today is some traffic tickets. So all and all I done no harm and learned a ton.
Which is why I post in threads like this. i feel I can help OP not do something so stupid as try to sue the police.

God that's just asking for it

Am I supposed to be ashamed that I was arrested that many times or something ? Does that make me a lepar ? Someone no one should even listen to ? Partner if that's your reasoning ? You must never go outside ?
edit on 23-5-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

He won't understand.

On one occasion when I was not arrested, but I was called in for questioning, the detective that had the case was a very good friend of mine, and a sometime employee of mine. He worked security at the night club we owned, and he had been to my home, and knew my family well. He caught a case from a pawnshop where a diamond was pawned, and it had previously belonged to my wife and was reported as lost. I guarantee you that he treated us like typical perps! We were brought in, separated, questioned, and then tripped up, shown where we had gone wrong, and we ended up making amends as quickly and as humbly as possible!

He was a friend, and a cop, and an employee, and a fair and moral man all at the same time. Hard to imagine for some people, but guys like him do exist.
edit on 23-5-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join