It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Third Movie Curse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Alright, searched the threads, my bad if this is a re-do.

Now, with that outta the way, something bugged me this morning. I was watching Spider-Man 3 with my son, he's high on comic heroes right now, and really likes ol' Spidey. But what I couldn't help but notice is something that seems to be an epic disease amongst film and even games (thus the general entertainment section). The Curse of the Third!

Ominous right? But let's look at this problem shall we? Star Wars. Beloved by all, and yet by the third movie (RotJ), you find most fans in outrage over ewoks. Some to a level of hate that is just down right fanatical for something that is basically a teddy bear. How about ol' Spidey 3? While the first one meets great acclaim, the third is considered an insult to film by most of the fans.

Edit: Other notable mentions that came to me thanks my better half, X-men, most feel it killed the series. And Starship troopers. The first was pretty awesome (IMHO) while the third is not only an insult to the series, but nearly "Undiscovered Country" levels of "Please God, stop the pain now."

Also, let's look at video games. They are not immune! Mass Effect 3, God of War 3. Both lead their player on an epic quest that ends in epic fails.

So, tell me your thoughts on the third movie curse. Maybe state those wonderful exceptions to the rule, or those movies I horroniously missed. ^.^
edit on 16-5-2012 by Lasr1oftheJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
the problem lies in the fact that by the third installment there is nothing left to do, in Spiderman they had to up the bad guy count to try and keep "pace" with the previous movies. (or so they thought, but a fleshed out full venom movie would of been great.) In star wars well Mr. Lucas just lost his SHIFT if you know what i mean as was evident in the prequels.

I have not played Mass effect 3 yet though i have heard the rumblings of its epic failure and i would imagine it came from having a second and third installment forced upon its story line when only the one stand alone game was planned originally.

as far as god of war goes i have never really gotten into the series so im of no help with that one.

but thats my theory what do you think?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by crimsongod21

Yeah, always trying to up the ante can certainly harm a flick, as can it's success. As you pointed out, SW was so big by RotJ, that Lucus phoned alot of it in. Or so it would seem. While it still had epic moments, it's like he wrote 30 minutes of a great movie and then was like:

GL: "So....um, what do you guys think, teddy bears?"

All those yes men: "Yeah! Teddy bears! Kids love teddy bears, we'll selll a bazillion figures!"

GL: "Excellent." (All C.M. Burns like)

With Spidey, I felt Sandman and Gwen were forced on us in a movie-verse that had no place for them. A Green Goblin Jr. and Vemon tale where Harry finds redemption would've been rightous and more thought out. Also, if you really had to amp it, Lizard was the obvious choice, not Sandman.

I also think "franchise wear" ("Seen it, done that" so to speak in the mind of the movie or game goer) sets in. And this can do alot of harm to a series.

As for Mass Effect, while designed to hold it's own as a single tale (much like SW IV New Hope), it is popularly figured that EA brought it's downfall. Even in 2, it felt "dumbed down" to a lot of the people that played the first one.

Just to finish my thoughts, a notable exception to the third movie rule, that still suffered the curse (at movie five), Rocky. Rocky III was a pretty cool (guys)flick. So it managed to beat the curse...but only until Tommy Gunn showed up and beat the series down into "Why Stallon!?! WHY!?!"

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Godfather 3 = crap
Friday the 13th 3= crap
Nightmare on Elm Street 3= crap
Halloween 3= crap
Transformers 3= not so terrible
Star Trek 3= crap
MIB3= we shall see

thought of more...
Jaws3= OMG total crap
Final Destination 3= crap

an exception IMO- Ice Age 3
edit on 16-5-2012 by micmerci because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Lasr1oftheJedi

One exception I can think of is Back to the Future III. Part II was the stinker in that bunch. Otherwise, though, your rule holds for as many years back as I can remember--and that's a long way.

The idea of a third movie in a series is a pretty modern thing. A single sequel goes pretty far back (although I'm not going to go to the trouble to research how far back).

The point I'm getting at is that sequels have always, always been clinkers. It's as if the writers couldn't figure out what it was, exactly, that made the first movie great; they always guess wrong and amplify the wrong things and completely miss the right things. And in the case of a third movie, they mis-guess yet again. What's really puzzling, is that all they've ever needed to do to make the sequel a huge success is talk to the fans. I don't know why they always forget that....

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

micmerci -

Godfather 3! Brilliant! How that slipped me does equal to a horrendous unincluded. TY!

Originally posted by micmerci

thought of more...
Jaws3= OMG total crap

an exception IMO- Ice Age 3

Agreed on Jaws (didn't see the others you listed, now I won't.) and the Ice Age series is an excellent family romp.

Ex_CT2

Back to the Future. You're right there too, my friend! The old west was an awesome idea. I wasn't a huge fan of the second either, and agree, in the series, it's the weakest of the bunch.

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
reply to post by Lasr1oftheJedi

What's really puzzling, is that all they've ever needed to do to make the sequel a huge success is talk to the fans. I don't know why they always forget that....

Quoted for truth, especially in the age of instant information. I know it's difficult to make a movie, or please all the fans, but a lil listening on the part of the studios, especially by the cursed number three, would go a long long ways into making something the people want (and will pay) to see.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The Bourne Ultimatum worked fine, great third film.

top topics

join