It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On the Eve of the NATO Summit, Is Phone Jamming Coming to Chicago?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Hi.

With Chicago hosting the NATO summit this weekend, protesters and police are braced for confrontation. Eight people have already been arrested for storming President Obama’s campaign headquarters. Others have pledged to “shut down” Boeing. And gas-mask sales have been brisk citywide. But much of the cat-and-mouse game will be technological, with people in the streets wielding smartphones to coordinate actions and publicize what’s happening, while law enforcement mulls whether to take the power of those phones away—disrupting service in the name of public safety.

www.thedailybeast.com...

While the tactic is usually associated with digital dictators abroad—and the Obama administration has sharply criticized such interruptions, even proposing sanctions against countries that curb their peoples’ wireless freedom—shutdowns are a creeping American phenomenon as well. Often a perfectly legal one.

Not only do the FBI and Secret Service have standing authority to jam signals, but they along with state and local authorities can also push for the shutdown of cell towers, thanks to a little-known legacy of the Bush administration: “Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) 303," which lays out the nation’s official “Emergency Wireless Protocols.”

"In time of national emergency," the review says, SOP 303 gives “State Homeland Security Advisors, their designees, or representatives of the DHS Homeland Security Operations Center” the power to call for “the termination of private wireless network connections… within an entire metropolitan area.”

So what can we do about this folks? Anything?

When I was a child they told me how lucky I was to be an American with all of my freedoms and well I think they lied to me.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Let's wait and see what actually happens before jumping to any condemnations, shall we?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

Well, people could..just ONE TIME...decide an event is just a little too over the top for deadly serious security to go screw with them over. I mean really... I have a bad feeling on this weekend and I'm sure not the only one, I'll bet. Why is it so necessary for everyone to protest NATO? I'm not even sure what NATO did wrong that makes them stand out as an organization at this point. Nations, yes. NATO overall? The alliance structure is part of what has kept Europe at peace this long...even if that may not last much longer.

I just don't get why every gathering of any authority anywhere on Earth demands protest for the sake of it now. It doesn't even seem to be about mesages as much as just showing up to fight with the security forces of whatever meeting/location it happens to be. Protest makes sense...but choosing one's battles makes even more.

I know none of this logic will get anywhere with those who are determined to start a weekend long protest/running street fight with the CPD and DHS. I just hope no one is killed over it and few come out badly injured. I sure can't think of a more dangerous police deaprtment to tangle with though. NYPD is staffed by politically correct marshmellows by comparison and CPD won't even be the dominant agency. They're the nicest of THAT bunch.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Maybe they go to meet them because these clowns try to tell people what to do and what laws to live by all by self-appointment. The only authority they have is the guns they hire and that makes them fit to try to rule the world? People go protest these pompous aholes because they don't know what else to do or lack the courage to do real violence. The governments and corporations are so vast and corrupt there is little more that is possible and since they have monopolized violence even those with the courage to stand up to these self-annointed ones end up standing alone. But for some it is better to die fighting oppression than to live under it.

It would not surprise me if the cops use signal jammers just like they would in any war. This is war now and our "rulers" have declared us enemy combatants and the u.s. is the battlefield. Didn't someone say there was going to be a nuke going off somewhere near there?
edit on 16-5-2012 by eazyriderl_l because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by eazyriderl_l

I take your point.. I really do.. However, the hardware and military presence in Chicago isn't for Occupy or Anon or the Black Flaggers. As much as those groups imagine themselves to really matter to anyone important, they really don't on something of this magnitude. There isn't an armed presence sufficient to literally fight back a small wave of armed attack....because Occupy plants to show up.

I hope the civilians in Occupy don't find out the hard way and with a body count...just what TPTB ARE prepared to fight. I believe they'd discover that when they look both directions and realize...BOTH sides are shooting at and THROUGH them like they aren't there.

With luck, it's more preparing for a lot of nothing. It just doesn't feel that way. We'll see.....
edit on 16-5-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
That NATO summit in Chicago has got me to thinking what is really going on?

The security there is insane phone jamming would not surprise me in the least and can't figure out why they are holding it in Chicago other than to pay back old Chicago crooks.

Something going on that we have no idea about.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I really think this is the match they will light to fire up trouble. I have the worst feeling about this summit and all the security preparations. Like WRabbit says they will have a small army deployed. For who? Nurses Union? My suspicion is that black bloc plants will start the violence which will be blamed on the OWS people.
You can bet they will shut down service to thwart any protester plans and possibly give out false info to herd them into skyscraper canyons where there is no escape.

What I find very interesting is how the both the Sears (Willis) tower and the Chicago mercantile exchange (COMEX) are both outside of the "Red Zone". If a false flag goes down it will probably involve one or both of these buildings.
Kroll and associates handle security for the Willis tower.
Same folks who did such a splendid job guarding the WTC on 9/11.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The security there is insane phone jamming would not surprise me in the least and can't figure out why they are holding it in Chicago other than to pay back old Chicago crooks.

Remember, the CPD will be stretched out doing traffic and crowd control. If jamming is resorted to, it will be to contain street gangs attempting to take advantage of under-policed areas and using cell phones to co-ordinate crimes, as was done last year in Britain. And yes, there was probably some deep dish Chicago politics involved in choosing the venue.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I really think this is the match they will light to fire up trouble. I have the worst feeling about this summit and all the security preparations. Like WRabbit says they will have a small army deployed. For who? Nurses Union? My suspicion is that black bloc plants will start the violence which will be blamed on the OWS people.

Destroying all the NATO leaders in one dramatic gesture would be a Qadaffi loyalist's wet dream. It's not the protesters DHS, FBI and MI5 are concerned about.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

What I find very interesting is how the both the Sears (Willis) tower and the Chicago mercantile exchange (COMEX) are both outside of the "Red Zone". If a false flag goes down it will probably involve one or both of these buildings.

Now that just makes no sense at all, does it? If I were the bad guy type, I'd look to those two buildings as elevated positions with a commanding view of all that would be of interest to do bad things to. They must have the interior and upper floors of those buildings covered like a rug. It's insane not to..but I really don't get why they aren't inside the secure zone either? A lot of this makes no sense because I believe WE only have parts of the bigger picture the plans are being made for. So frustrating.

Here is the latest map for the closures ordered by the Secret Service. This comes off the NATO Summit website a few minutes ago.

Updated SS route and restriction planning

For some context and my own personal curiosity, I hopped off to find an image of the exchange building and precisely where it is. Everyone knows the Sears tower of course, but I realized...I didn't know the other. Here it is..and it is a tall position in it's own right for a security question. (??)

Chicago Exchange Building and Location Info
edit on 16-5-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: Added 2nd link

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
If you ever been to DC and flew into Dullles, you probably have noticed your cell phone would never work when passing NSA headquarters. I was never sure how they jammed phones legally but they never work around that area.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
My skin busted out into goosebumps when I read this, simply because of I dream I had about something similar happening, but in my dream, it felt like it was Philly, for whatever reason. Here's my post about it, from April 17th:

A couple of months ago, I dreamt I was living in Philadelphia (I live out west and have never been there before) in a loft and around midnight, fighter jets, in sets of 5, began screaming fast across the city. When I tried using my cell to call my husband, a man's voice came on as a recording, saying by order of the us military, and for the protection of us citizens, cell service has been shut down, due to impending terrorist attacks. Yet, in the dream, I am shown a large grenade-like device with a silver collar and cap, wrapped in white muslin or cotton, that was somehow the proof we were doing it to ourselves.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't know if there are any weapons that look like this, but what I saw were watermelon-sized grenade-like bombs and what struck me was just how silver the collar and cap were, like platinum, glowing brightly. The AF was dropping them all over the city and calling it a terrorist attack. No one could use their phones to report to family and friends what was going on, because supposedly the terrorists were coordinating via cell phones, which is why cell service was shut down.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Now that just makes no sense at all, does it? If I were the bad guy type, I'd look to those two buildings as elevated positions with a commanding view of all that would be of interest to do bad things to.

Both buildings will be closed to the public. You can't open the windows on the Tower anyway. The fear is of a 9/11 style kamikaze attack.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
So... any reports of cell phones actually getting jammed yet?

top topics

join