It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Votes to Cut Food Stamps to Avoid Defense Reduction

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Dear Misoir,

I'm delighted to see you, I like your writing and thinking a lot but here I'm confused. You make two points (I think).

One is that we can not spend money on the military if there are hungry children to feed. Do you mean hungry children in this country or the entire world. Perhaps your passion is ruling, but it sounds like you're saying we should disband our military and use the money to ship bags of rice around the world.

I don't know what you mean by your comments on tax policy and multinationals. Are you suggesting that more taxes should be paid so that more bags of rice can be shipped? Or that multinationals should provide their own armies for protection?

As far as cutting the military budget by half not causing the slightest harm, I just don't see it. Are there any administration officials pushing for that? Economists? I'd love to read some analysis on that point, I've haven't seen any yet. The budget for defense seems to be about $903 Billion. Cut it in half to get $450 Billion. About $130 Billion goes for veterans, leaving $320 Billion for everything else. Has anyone really, seriously, presented this as an option?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Was the Federal government ever supposed to be handling anything more than national security? Isn't this supposed to be handled at the state level?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by KillerQueen

I don't give a rat's butt about phony wars, foreign concerns or the entire defense industry. Screw them all. They are a leech sucking the life out of civil society.

If not for our military there wouldn't be a civil society. Ever heard of the war of independence? America wasn't such a fun place to live until men fought and died to make it so.

I'm getting sick of all the threads bashing defense. Why must you all equate defense spending with senseless wars? As if anybody wants that or that's where all defense spending goes.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
The video on the aquaponics was very good.

And this is really important to bear in mind along with energy devices.

But...the ones on foodstamps, will not be able to do this. They are not living in their own houses, mostly, and live very vulnerably from month to month without the means to move, own anything or even buy 100 dollars worth of planters, tools seeds, etc etc.

Poverty means no ability to do this.

This is going to take angry people saying NO.

Angry people opting out and SHARING with everyone. Donating Land and gardens, helping to plant them, teaching poor children how to build and create.

COMMUNITY.

Real Family.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
If this does pass, and it won't, it will come back to bite the gop in the ass big time, especially in an election year, the GOP has become more extremist than the left.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

it indifferent but notable that the cuts were not relative to national security to he.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

sorry ,but war of independence was in our defense not bullying other nations.This bullying other nations crap is not needed,Zhidkov

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Thank you for such valuable information! Resistance does not have to be violent. The most effective way, in my opinion, to rid ourselves from hunger, poverty, injustice, jobs, constraints,... is by fully turning our backs on our government and become fully autonomous. That is what freedom is really about in my opinion.

The best way to become fully autonomous is with such actions as urban farming which should provide people with free food in abundance without any exchange of money. A gift society in a sense. You give me a gift and I can either choose to receive it and give something of mine away or decide not to receive it and pass it on to someone else.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
It's all part of the plan to get poor people to join the Army. Three squares and a cot!

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Who needs the GOP to give you the finger?

Hell Im giving you the finger right now. Hows it smell?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Are you kidding me???????

Choosing to buy bombs and death over FOOD for your own people?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

What? Don't know if you were talking to me but I am assuming you were and not on the same page obviously.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

I'm talking about the bill, Adolf.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Oh, ok carry on then.

Whats wrong with people becoming self reliant and not counting on the government though?

Last time I checked, the government steals my money, never do they give me anything. And my income is probably more pitiful than anyone posting here.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

I don't give a rat's butt about phony wars, foreign concerns or the entire defense industry. Screw them all. They are a leech sucking the life out of civil society.

If not for our military there wouldn't be a civil society. Ever heard of the war of independence? America wasn't such a fun place to live until men fought and died to make it so.

I'm getting sick of all the threads bashing defense. Why must you all equate defense spending with senseless wars? As if anybody wants that or that's where all defense spending goes.

The last time the U.S. had to defend itself from a foreign power was in 1868. The only thing we're "defending" now is oil interests.

ETA: I won't be surprised if this passes the Senate. The Democrats allow Obama to run his little wars how and when he wants to. This will just make it easier for him.

/TOA
edit on 15-5-2012 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Bombs over food = wrong priorities

Our military budget is the highest in the world, it should be the first thing being cut.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Oh I don't disagree with you there. But our method of going about it is ass backwards.

But then again, some people expect government handouts and when the handouts quit, theres going to be hell to pay.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I highly doubt it would even pass for this reason alone. JP Morgan Chase makes too much money of food stamps, seeing they run the program. They help create the poverty then profit off of it.

About 43 million American families rely on food stamps to put food on the table. JPMorgan Chase is the largest processor of food stamp benefits in the United States. The bank is paid per customer. With a contract to provide food stamp debit cards in 26 states and the District of Columbia, it’s no wonder that JPMC is making record breaking profits and handing out record bonuses during an economic depression. Furthermore, JPMC is doing its part to add to U.S. unemployment by outsourcing the servicing of many of these state contracts to India.

ivn.us...

edit on 15-5-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
What they really mean is: We need Halliburton to do the things that the military used to do for themselves, as it makes us more money.

Just how much could they save if they got rid of Halliburton, and other contractors that do things that the Military can do for themselves but earn wallstreet nothing.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

But they need private contractors to blow the hell out of law abiding citizens.
Don't go camping or hunting with Dick Cheney and if you do, reach in there and grab his heart.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join