It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran to launch observation satellite on day of nuclear talks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

TEHRAN: Iran will launch next week an experimental observation satellite, on the day of talks with world powers over its controversial nuclear programme, the official IRNA news agency reported on Monday

Source

I find this interesting... Apparently, Iran hasn't announced beforehand about launching satelites into space, they only do it after the mission has been succesful. So, why the launch and why tell everyone about it? Seems to me that Iran wants to make sure that everyone going to these talks knows that they aren't some technologically awkward country. Sure, they can't compare to most other scientifically advanced countries (Ie. China, US, Russia) however, they do have ambition and take every chance they can to ensure that everyone knows about it.

The Security Council has imposed on Iran an almost total embargo on nuclear and space technologies since 2007.

Does that seem fair? I know Iran seems like they may be a sneaky country, doing secret things behind closed doors, but the same could be said, and proven a lot more in western countries! Does the UN have the right to impose these kind of sanctions just because they think that something fishy might be going on?! Also, it shows that even with the embargo, Iran has proven they can do it on their own.

Iran’s previous satellite launches triggered condemnation from the West who accused Tehran of “provocation.” The Fajr (Dawn) satellite was presented by the Iranian officials as “an observation and measurement” satellite weighing 50 kilos (110 pounds), built by Sa-Iran, a company affiliated to the defence ministry

Um, provocation?? I may sound Pro-Iran here, but wouldn't you say that any military satellite that ths US military, or Russian or Chinese put into space is provocation as well?! It just doesn't seem fair that Iran keeps catching $h*t for trying to progress their nation scientifically. This isn't to say that they may or may not have some other intent, or are developing nuclear warheads and testing missile tech for deployment on Israel or American ships or whatever, but seems to me that ever developed country has secret programs that are not condemmed. The problem with Iran is they are the underdog against a big group of bullies (The UN). Even if Iran didn't have a single hidden program, and proved it, allowed UN inspectors into the country on a consistent basis, I still beleive that the UN would put sanctions on them just because they don't have a puppet regime in power that is willing to sign over the oil to the west. IMO, the reason they want to keep this country down is so when they do decide to go in (which seem imminent) they won't have as much resistance

Anyways, your thoughts!?!

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Iran can't be trusted there leader already sad he will wipe Israel off the map and make it be like they never existed. Iran backs radical Islam, and we all know there main goal is to take over the world and convert all the "infidels"(thats anyone who doesn't practice Islam) to Islam. So imo they shouldn't be allowed to have a satellite in orbit or any kind of potentially dangerous technology because there a danger to humanity.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by HumanitiesLastHope

Looks like you were born yesterday !

OH you were.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ken10

You asked for our thoughts, and that was my opinion. I don't see why you wanna make jokes and laugh at me just joining this site. I hav been using and reading this site since the beginning but I only recently made an account because I had to reply to a riveting thread.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by HumanitiesLastHope
reply to post by ken10

You asked for our thoughts, and that was my opinion. I don't see why you wanna make jokes and laugh at me just joining this site. I hav been using and reading this site since the beginning but I only recently made an account because I had to reply to a riveting thread.

So you would have seen this then ...

Israel's deputy Prime Minister

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Firstly, high profile rocket launches are high risk. It's terribly embarrassing when they fail - like the one in North Korea recently. How I cried.

Secondly, the legitimate fear by the West and many other nations in the Middle East, plus the UN et al, is that Iran is possibly pursuing a military nuclear programme. Regardless of the truth of the assertion - and Iran has not been wholly open in these matters - the feeling is that it is best to inhibit a rocket programme as that is one way to develop the delivery system for a nuclear device.

Personally, I feel that there is a good chance Iran is developing the capability for nukes on the basis of what the IAEA have disclosed. You can suggest the IAEA is fibbing or being over dramatic, but I instinctively mistrust dictatorships and religiously driven regimes who have sophisticated games to play and are highly secretive, closed to scrutiny and able to keep their communities in line through internal repression.

Regards

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Agreed.. I also instinctively mistrust dicatorships, and especially religiously driven ones! I just wonder IF Iran was open and transparent, and it was clear that they were not pursuing a nuclear programme for military purposes, would the Un and other regulatory bodies still impose sanctions?! In other words, is it all about the nuclear aspects or is it about the oil and keeping countries down so they have to take orders from more powerful countries?!

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Everything you have stated has been proven false many times here. Now I can say for a fact that Israel has actively threatened Iran many numerous times. When are you going to talk about that?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

reply to post by ken10

I asked for your thoughts as the OP, Ken10 was replying to your previous post. If Iran is dangerous (and I'm not saying they aren't! Just playing devils advocate) then why aren't the same fears going on about North Korea?! They are way more advanced in terms of missile tech and nuclear tech.. they actually have nukes for sure! and yet, there is no military build up on North Korean borders besides the in the south side of the DMZ.. to me, the sanctions have the hidden agenda for making sure they submit to the oil needs of the west, instead of protecting the world from nuclear strikes from Iran

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Everything you have stated has been proven false many times here. Now I can say for a fact that Israel has actively threatened Iran many numerous times. When are you going to talk about that?

+1 Iran is in no way the aggressor here. Unfortunately we all know who that is, but yet none will say anything.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

It has ? All of it ?

Here, 39 pages for you to read.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Enjoy !

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
So what is it this time, should we nuke Iran tomorrow for launching a satellite as it can possibly lead to space weapon platforms and can directly attack the u.s. or malta or as obvious and boring as it has become...yes we should also include Israel.Oh hold on, i cant attend tomorrow's strike on Iran as i have parent meeting council and they have these awesome cool hot dogs with mustard...So guy's lets hold back on the Iran strike, recall the bombers and ill check my iphone's appointment apps and see when im free and relaxed so we can go with a green on Iran.

P.S. Would it be to much to ask if we hit Iran during the weekend as i have back to back meetings throughout next week ?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Iran cannot be trusted, they are just playing mind games. Making fool out of everyone

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

agreed but you will always get the same old people
coming in with the same old rubbish

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Iran can't be trusted there leader already sad he will wipe Israel off the map and make it be like they never existed. Iran backs radical Islam, and we all know there main goal is to take over the world and convert all the "infidels"(thats anyone who doesn't practice Islam) to Islam. So imo they shouldn't be allowed to have a satellite in orbit or any kind of potentially dangerous technology because there a danger to humanity.

No Iran is anti zionist not anti Isreal...They have nothing against Jew. There are Jews living in Iran. Stop believing the bull#. The only reason Iran is on the hit list is because they do not have a centralised bank..

top topics

join