It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transit of Venus 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Next month we will be the last people living today to witness one of the rarest astronomical events: the transit of Venus. If it’s not cloudy, we need do no more than draw back our curtains on June 6 to see the brightest star of the night transformed into a tiny black dot crossing the face of the sun. But astronomers in the 18th Century travelled thousands of miles and risked their lives to witness this precious sight. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Is anyone here trying to set up photographic equipment here to witness this spectacular event? Use proper safety while doing so. I don't have access to high quality DSLRs and such, but it could be an awesome thread for those people preparing for such an event to post here.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Can't wait for this event! Here's what it will looks like, taken from the previous occultation in 2004:

Source

Source

It will be visible for almost everywhere:

Source

I'll be ready with my 115/900 Newton...

edit on 13-5-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I can't figure out how venus will move 40 degrees in 20 days......

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
finally the end of the
AGE OF AQUARIOUS,,,peace ,understandind,,namastie,yoga,budha,etc,,u know the great oneness of all creation,,everything unfolding,,as it should.
the desoronta,,( yayaya,, Desiderata,,there,,for the search challenged,,is there a word for that yet?)
yea its finaly #ing over.
Have u really taken a look at the world lately??

g8 has,,

most pressing problem for Humanity??
how too manage the world watersupply,,,, lollolololololl,,,
guess theve haven't heard about,, the Gulf of Mexico,, or Fucushima yet,,
AGE OF AQUARIOUS,,,count me out,
great job guys,,ohh then their is ,,
baby eating. g8????
hello???
AQUARIOUS,,ask yourself why all of the idiots seem to be in power.
finally the end.
Me.
edit on 13-5-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

( yayaya,, Desiderata,
,,for the search challenged,,
is there a word for that yet?)
edit on 13-5-2012 by BobAthome because: had too search for the spelling correctness,, u know,, being a ,,

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
yes, I am .... (if the weather holds up). Not sure yet just to photograph the sun only using white light, or doing it in Ha light. I am right now trying to photograph the sun as much as possible (which is not that often where I am nowadays) to get my techniques right. It is times like this that I miss Africa so much, with the clear skies, 300+ days a year. (over here it feels as though we have less than 10 days a year of clear skies)

Here is a pic of the last one, using very simple equipment (500mm telephoto lens with a home-made solar filter), and no image processing, but I want to do better this time round.

(ouch, my solar filter was made from layers of mylar film, made from a container in which a certain brand of teabags comes in, lol)

I still find it amazing to see how quiet the sun was during that period, no sunspots.
edit on 13/5/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by GBP/JPY
I can't figure out how venus will move 40 degrees in 20 days......

Then watch it happen on Stellarium. Venus is currently about 30 degrees from the sun, not 40. And it's right where it should be according to my own telescope.
www.stellarium.org...

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Looking forward to this event. I have just ordered myself some baader astro film to make up a filter for my 12" dobsonian. Question for any of you astro buffs out there. I will have enough film for a full aperture filter but i have seen a lot of people using only small ones like 1/4 aperture. I will only be doing visual ovbservation so what Im asking is will I get better view from a full aperture filter or from the smaller one?

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

coolest avatar.....so, 30 degrees in 20 days,it will hauling buns across the star field to get there...

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
The Venus Transit, is one I do Not understand. I have tried to see what TPTB are looking forward too here, and why I was once told that its over, dark side won, think of all the eclipses. So what????? Its just a shadow. We go into shadow every single night, so what?????

So, when I was saying to Venus it was a ufo, a while back and it disappeared twice, each I said that word, and then came back dark stained glass cobalt blue, twice, it kept vanishing, then came back and stayed Venus again. But, I didn't sense evil, even if they were dark side, it still doesnt make sense. Also, if Venus is an ancient craft, and this is what I'm thinking, and its parked there controlling our matrix, and if it is connected to the ET/Gods of old, who demanded sacrifices, if it could open stargates, somehow, it still makes zero absolutely zero sense whatsoever because they are not the majority, Goodness and Love is and no one would just let bad guys come here.

The whole thing is insane. And I have been trying really hard to look at the Venus Transit and why it is so important to them.

If its not about negative group coming in, then it is possibly linked to their idea of age of aquarius and all the astrology relating to their new king.

Again, when will they ever grow up. It really annoys me trying to figure out how anything is ever allowed that is bad, when nothing is allowed that is bad and everyone just needs to be freed. To even try and figure out what they're coding and getting out of this, its ludicrous.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Venus is a planet.

The transit is considered spectacular because our meaningless human lives can be paused for a moment and allowed to view a planet, that's very close to us, pass between us and our star. It's rare and should be treasured. I pray the clouds stay clear enough that I can view it.

Did I mention Venus is a planet?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

Venus is a craft. I know this. Our star is a construct/technology too. And it worries me alot, for what they have coded to this whole year relates to revelations 9 11.

All the stars are connected, via strips, and to the great central star, which is the Gateway to Home/Beyond.

edit on 14-5-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
reply to post by W3RLIED2

Venus is a craft. I know this. Our star is a construct/technology too. And it worries me alot, for what they have coded to this whole year relates to revelations 9 11.

All the stars are connected, via strips, and to the great central star, which is the Gateway to Home/Beyond.

edit on 14-5-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

Umm, I am really sorry but......WHAT IN THE HELL are you talking about?!?!?!

Did I click on the wrong thread???

I was all....looking forward to hearing about Venus passing near us and all of a sudden I am reading about TPTB,stargates,codes, Venus is a craft, our sun is a construct, Revelations, the Matrix, Gods of old, Aliens, Aquarius, and human motherfriggin sacrifes!!!!!

Am I in the twilight zone.
Did I just have some sort of....."experience"
I feel like I am high or drunk,.

What in the name of the flying spaghetti monster are you going on about???

You sound like you are clinically insane.

Please clarify.
edit on 14-5-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   

The whole thing is insane.

Now THIS we can agree on!!!

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Lol...... I was just thinking the same thing........ did I do a timewarp into some wacky future

So Venus is a spaceship ....... obviously lost as it's going round in circles

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Village Idiot

Well, some people just see conspiracy in EVERYthing.
Anyway, Venus transit is very interesting and rare cosmic event - non of us will see this again in our lifetime

edit on 14-5-2012 by Amandla because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-5-2012 by Amandla because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Maybe two years too early but,
I made a thread back in 2010 about this very subject...HERE
This will be a very significant sight to see this June.

Thanks PRO for bringing this subject back to light.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boomstix
Looking forward to this event. I have just ordered myself some baader astro film to make up a filter for my 12" dobsonian. Question for any of you astro buffs out there. I will have enough film for a full aperture filter but i have seen a lot of people using only small ones like 1/4 aperture. I will only be doing visual ovbservation so what Im asking is will I get better view from a full aperture filter or from the smaller one?

One my one telescope I had the small aperture solar-filter, (couldn't afford a larger filter), but I don't have that telescope anymore to make comparisons with my full-aperture filter, and the pics are not really comparable to the ones I take lately. Those pics were still taken on a film camera with a hit-or-miss process, and the sun was at a solar-minumum, so no sunspots on those pics too. I have some pics of the previous transit taken with that, and a home-made full-aperture filter made from mylar, and I much prefer the pics taken with the small-aperture filter above that of my home-made full aperture film.

Here are 2 pics, the first one is taken with my home-made full aperture solar filter, and the second one with a small aperture filter. Like I say, there was no sunspots so that I can make a comparison, but Venus does look sharper with the full-aperture filter. The 2 photos was taken withing minutes from each other, so the sharpness should be the same. (the shutter speed was different though)

edit on 14/5/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14/5/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Not a photo, but, I’m going to try this neat little pinhole viewer trick in June

Cool thread from March…

I've held a planet's shadow in my hand. How you can too

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop
Not a photo, but, I’m going to try this neat little pinhole viewer trick in June

Cool thread from March…

I've held a planet's shadow in my hand. How you can too

It is safer your way

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Thanks hellhound, i will be getting enough film to make a small and a large one so will try them both out hopefully prior to the event.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join