It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volkswagen People's car project, Hover Car, the flying two-seater

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
As screwed up as man can appear under some circumstances, you have to admit he can also be pretty special with his inventiveness. I have to admit being born in the Beaver Cleaver era, and still living on in the beginnings of the Jetson age, I feel I have been somewhat blessed to understand and know both.

We have seen a few new inventions of the flying car, and here is another one. Hard to imagine a lot of these at rush hour, but still pretty cool none the less.

A couple snips from the aricle:

Flying cars are a common site in sci-fi movies. The floating auto has won hearts of many science fiction fanatics. Be it the glass bubble from "The Jetsons" or the cab from "The Fifth Element," all these autos have mesmerized audiences for long now.

So, Volkswagen thought of creating a prototype of this futuristic car model. Dubbed as the "The People’s Car Project", the company invited people to design their car of the future. A young girl from Chengdu city, who is actually a student of gaming design and animation, came up with a brilliant concept.

The concept car utilizes magnetic force to float in middle of the air. A magnetic suspension system is used in most of these designs, but the mechanism is not very stable, and hence wide scale implementation of the cars is not possible. Some of the models also make use of repulsion technology, which is basically a type of short range anti-gravity principle, to whizz around smoothly in mid air.

As you can see from the last quote, it does have some stability problems, but I can't see how those wrinkles can't be worked out with a little more tinkering. After all, it has gotten off the ground. Add to that the fact that Volkswagon has already undertaken this project, well, I can very well see something like this being our new future.

Read FULL ARTICLE HERE

Here is a video of it. Not sure why they dubbed it in the same lanugage, but it is still good enough to get the idea of what it is all about

Link to video

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 8/5/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
ya,..
someday maybe..
plenty of CGI to go with that video...

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
So that is what is called CGI. It's a design concept someone made with 3D software. No such technology exists yet, but I hope it does some day.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Im no cgi expert and won't claim to be, but Im guessing the actual footage of the car doing its things is pretty real.
Perhaps someone around here could actually translate a little of that video for us, might give a better idea anyway.

edit on 8/5/12 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/5/12 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by JeepEscape
So that is what is called CGI. It's a design concept someone made with 3D software. No such technology exists yet, but I hope it does some day.

I am sure we could easily build a flying car today, we have had our eye on the idea since the 50's. By the 60's we wear all supposed to be driving them. HA!! I would not be surprised if their are dozens of grate designs that have been presented but thrown under the table because of how much and how fast it would change things. Eventually flying cars would be controlled by a computer and not a human. Not until they are produced on a mass scale. They would take over cars and probably make them obsolete but that means allot of company's would fall under as well thus greatly changing our economy. Company's not able to make the shift will fall.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm pretty sure that's just a fictional CGI concept video:

A young girl from Chengdu city, who is actually a student of gaming design and animation, came up with a brilliant concept. Her design bagged the contest and the prototype crafted was turned into a video.

That does not mean that we have any of the technology to implement anything like this yet.
The article is misleading in that it makes this sound more feasible then it really is. When you work at an automotive company, you see these types of conceptual promotions all the time. Of course nothing ever comes from them, and outside of generating publicity, they seem to serve no other purpose.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by Infi8nity
I am sure we could easily build a flying car today, we have had our eye on the idea since the 50's. By the 60's we wear all supposed to be driving them. HA!! I would not be surprised if their are dozens of grate designs that have been presented but thrown under the table because of how much and how fast it would change things.

That is not the problem. The problem ultimately comes down to fuel and engine efficiency. Right now we have difficulty with engines that are efficient while simply driving with the vehicles weight suspended on wheels, let alone to be supporting the entire mass on air driven from the engine itself. The power source has to be efficient enough to overcome its own fuel weight, which is problem even now in aviation. Obviously right now we have hovercraft, helicopters, and VSTOL aircraft, but they consume large amounts of fuel, and are limited on how much weight they can carry in an extended hover.

A lot of folks go on about how the Oil and Car Companies are hiding all this technology, but take it from someone who worked in AR&D at one of the big three, that's just not true. Yes, they have bought various technologies over the years and tinkered with them, but ultimately none of them has been efficient or reliable enough to put into production. Normally these things fail on various issues; chiefly, reliability (does it work, does it break, how much damage happens when it breaks, etc.), feasibility (is it feasible to mass produce, is it less efficient than what already exists, can the public afford it, etc.) , supportability (infrastructure to maintain, cost to maintain, ability to easily acquire fuel, etc.), safety (does it explode on impact, catch fire, emit toxic fumes, etc.
). Almost every one of these “concepts” fail on at least one of those issues, if not on all.

Don't be swept up in the conspiracy hype, if there was a viable product, you bet they'd mass produce it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Nice, a glimpse into an alternate world, where the people of that world got past crude oil and their greed.

Is this a trailer for a show like Eureka or something?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
CGI concept or not, that is just very cool.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Of course this is CGI.

Other than that, a car that would hover like that, would be highly impractical. Just think of all the energy wasted just to get the thing to hover. A car with wheels use no energy standing still in a crossing, but this hover car would have to keep the propellers going at all times, just to hover. And think of the noise that car would make. It would be as loud as an airplane next to you.

And what about emergency braking? Good luck with that.

Fail idea is fail!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I agree, especially the egg shape makes it totaly inefficent for air driven hovering, let alone the weight distribution in curves...

top topics

join