It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What It's Like When the NYPD Raids Your Apartment At Dawn-- Because Your Roommate is in Occupy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I must say this kinda stuff really scares me. There is no reason these types of measures should be taken for people exercising their 1st amendment right.

www.alternet.org... occupy/

“At around six-fifteen I was woken up. I sleep in a lofted bed, and there's a police officer standing in my bedroom shining a flashlight in my face. He woke me up and said ‘get down in the living room," he said. Remer dressed, grabbed his ID as requested, and joined his housemates in the living room.

"We have a little poster on our bridge that said 'Strike, May 1st.' And they said 'see, look! There’s a strike poster' in passing," said Remer. While they questioned Dempster, “They spent five minutes asking me if I was involved in any [May Day] activities, if I had any plans."

So because of a poster 6 cops raided their apartment and kept claiming it was because of a warrant for an open container. Yea seems legit... NOT.

And yet throughout it all, the officers couldn't acknowledge that they were there for anything more than a trivial violation. “They sort of had to keep up the idea that they had brought six cops to deal with an open container. I don’t know what they were hoping to find," Remer said.

I asked Remer if this experience, which personally seemed horrifying to me, was frightening to him. “It was--I actually found myself shivering involuntarily," he said. " Which is part of the reason we were sort of so out of it, we didnt realize until they were long gone--'wait did anyone let them in? They must have busted down the door.'”

It seems that using warrant squads to monitor protesters is becoming an increasing tactic.

alturl.com...

How can people stand up to this tyranny? I just don't have the answers and the only quote that comes to mind is that of JFK. "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." One of the last real presidents that our country had. Any thoughts or opinions on this?
edit on 4-5-2012 by stigup because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-5-2012 by stigup because: fixed link

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by stigup

How can people stand up to this tyranny? I just don't have the answers and the only quote that comes to mind is that of JFK. "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." One of the last real presidents that our country had. Any thoughts or opinions on this?

I would of loved that opportunity.

Get all their badge numbers and a copy of the warrant issued.

I doubt they would even have a warrant, so I would take them to court for damages and infringement on our basic rights.

This is conditioning pure and simple.

This is so people will read this and think well it didn't happen to me so it's okay.

These raids will only get worse from here on out and be more frequent.

edit on 4-5-2012 by Quickfix because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
,and the Land of the Free.

What a joke.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
This is literally making me sick. When will people wake up! This could have easily happened to either one of you if you joined a cause you believed to be in the best interest of the country. I don't care what the cause is. I don't care if your cause is to blow up the White House. Not because I agree with such a heinous thing, but because YOU ARE AN AMERICAN CITIZEN and I want you to have your rights just as much as I want mine? Why? Because if I am willing to give up YOUR rights so I can feel safe, then I must also be willing to give up my own so others can feel safe.

That would mean we would all lose our rights because we all have different reasons for feeling unsafe. This is why it is MOST IMPORTANT to protect the rights of those you disagree with than your own.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

In the second link I posted the guy was taken into custody and he looked at the badge and found it was part of the intelligence divison. For some reason the link isn't working correctly.

He noticed the officer’s badge number. WNYC traced that number to a detective within the NYPD's Intelligence Division. A sergeant who signed the property voucher form issued to Carrié for his confiscated property identified himself on the document as another member of the Intelligence Division.

fixed it.. Also the warrant was for someone with the same name, but different address and birthday. Yet he still has to go to trial and fight it.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Get over it already. You have no rights. What you do have are privileges and that is all.

You could have had rights, freedom. You just never fought for it so it was all taken away.

Besides, you never really wanted rights, freedom anyways. Otherwise you would have taken them back or like me left that country.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
A warrant for an open container?

Whoever signed off on that warrant should be fired.

Whoever requested that warrant should be ashamed and ridiculed for the rest of their life.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I just love how preach around the world democracy but when it comes to our civil rights,they make laws so we cant and send the cops,to try an scare us from doing anything that goes against the staus quo.how I hate hipocracy
heres a video that someone recomended for me on youtube pretty cool one,checkit out.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
There were several of these raids in New York the week prior to the May Day marches. I can only imagine what's going to happen to Occupiers in Chicago leading up to the NATO summit. For all those chuckling or thinking this is a good thing, your turn to be treated like dog poo will come.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
For all those chuckling or thinking this is a good thing, your turn to be treated like dog poo will come.

While I don't necessarily agree with your delivery (seriously, absolutely no offense intended
), I certainly agree with your sentiment.

It reminds me of the poem:

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

edit on 4-5-2012 by nunya13 because: added full text to poem

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

That's exactly it lol.
I'm angry though so dog poo it is

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I may not agree with everything Occupy does, but I do support their right to protest. The behavior of the police lately has been out of control. Those cops from the live feeds in Oakland are like something straight out of Mad Max.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

“They spent five minutes asking me if I was involved in any [May Day] activities, if I had any plans.

"I plead the fifth." or "I want a lawyer."

The only thing you ever say to a cop. Ever. It used to be their job to protect and serve; not anymore. Now it's their job to provide criminals to help with prison profits, to keep their funding alive, and help with certain city politician's "tough on crime" records.

For the most part, they're just following orders and trying to put food on the table.
edit on 4-5-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

"I plead the fifth." or "I want a lawyer."

Exactly what my daddy taught me growing up. He was telling me that by late 80s and early 90s. I believe he saw what was happening. Sad how we used to look up to law as heroes and something you wanted to be when you grew up, to what they have become. I was told never to talk to a cop because they will always use it
against you. Were there really any day past when they stood up for the people and "protected and served"?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
The situation in the States reminds me of a Star Trek episode where the Holo deck starts to malfunction and bits of tech start appearing in the rock formations and such. Ron Paul exposed a lot when he showed how blatant the Media black out was around his campaign and progress. The failed economy starting to sink in is another. As was the whole"Yes we can" BS. He was going to make such a difference; bring the troops home, level the playing field, etc. At what point will the people figure out their so called constitution is a relic and a faded memory?
And why you folks didn't raise bloody hell over that Patriot Act, I'll never know. They didn't even read it did they?

I love the smell of military dictatorships in the morning.
edit on 5-5-2012 by sparrowstail because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
someone could be having a heart attack and NYPD will come to show their frowning mean faces and raid ur apt before the ambulance finally arrive (experience)

NY is gotham

USA is hell on earth

there are no freedoms in either. USA gov blatantly MOCKS democracy.

occupy is seen as the resistance so of course the pigs and feds are furious when people actually demand their rights.

like others said, get out before the sinkin ship is totally UNDER and takes u with its downcurrent, dudes!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Large cities like New York City are nothing more than Self Guarded Prisons.

People should get out while they still can!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
www.earthfiles.com...
www.aclu.org...

WHAT TO DO IF YOU’RE STOPPED BY
POLICE, IMMIGRATION AGENTS OR THE FBI

YOUR RIGHTS

• You have the right to remain silent. If you wish to exercise that right, say so out loud.
• You have the right to refuse to consent to a search of yourself, your car or your home.
• If you are not under arrest, you have the right to calmly leave.
• You have the right to a lawyer if you are arrested. Ask for one immediately.
• Regardless of your immigration or citizenship status, you have constitutional rights.

YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES

• Do stay calm and be polite.
• Do not interfere with or obstruct the police.
• Do not lie or give false documents.
• Do prepare yourself and your family in case you are arrested.
• Do remember the details of the encounter.
• Do file a written complaint or call your local ACLU if you feel your rights have been violated.

This information is not intended as legal advice.
This brochure is available in English and Spanish /
Esta tarjeta también se puede obtener en inglés y español.
Produced by the American Civil Liberties Union 6
www.aclu.org

We rely on the police to keep us safe and treat us all fairly, regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin or religion. This card provides tips for interacting with police and understanding your rights. Note: some state laws may vary. Separate rules apply at checkpoints and when entering the U.S. (including at airports).

IF YOU ARE STOPPED FOR QUESTIONING

Stay calm. Don’t run. Don’t argue, resist or obstruct the police, even if you are innocent or police are violating your rights. Keep your hands where police can see them.

Ask if you are free to leave. If the officer says yes, calmly and silently walk away. If you are under arrest, you have a right to know why.

You have the right to remain silent and cannot be punished for refusing to answer questions. If you wish to remain silent, tell the officer out loud. In some states, you must give your name if asked to identify yourself.

You do not have to consent to a search of yourself or your belongings, but police may “pat down” your clothing if they suspect a weapon. You should not physically resist, but you have the right to refuse consent for any further search. If you do consent, it can affect you later in court.

IF YOU ARE STOPPED IN YOUR CAR

Stop the car in a safe place as quickly as possible. Turn off the car, turn on the internal light, open the window part way and place your hands on the wheel.

Upon request, show police your driver’s license, registration and proof of insurance

If an officer or immigration agent asks to look inside your car, you can refuse to consent to the search. But if police believe your car contains evidence of a crime, your car can be searched without your consent.

Both drivers and passengers have the right to remain silent. If you are a passenger, you can ask if you are free to leave. If the officer says yes, sit silently or calmly leave. Even if the officer says no, you have the right to remain silent.

IF YOU ARE QUESTIONED ABOUT YOUR IMMIGRATION STATUS

You have the right to remain silent and do not have to discuss your immigration or citizenship status with police, immigration agents or any other officials.

You do not have to answer questions about where you were born, whether you are a U.S. citizen, or how you entered the country. (Separate rules apply at international borders and airports, and for individuals on certain nonimmigrant visas, including tourists and business travelers.)

If you are not a U.S. citizen and an immigration agent requests your immigration papers, you must show them if you have them with you. If you are over 18, carry your immigration documents with you at all times. If you do not have immigration papers, say you want to remain silent.

Do not lie about your citizenship status or provide fake documents.
www.aclu.org

IF THE POLICE OR IMMIGRATION AGENTS COME TO YOUR HOME

If the police or immigration agents come to your home, you do not have to let them in unless they have certain kinds of warrants.

Ask the officer to slip the warrant under the door or hold it up to the window so you can inspect it. A search warrant allows police to enter the address listed on the warrant, but officers can only search the areas and for the items listed.

An arrest warrant allows police to enter the home of the person listed on the warrant if they believe the person is inside.
A warrant of removal/deportation (ICE warrant) does not allow officers to enter a home without consent.

Even if officers have a warrant, you have the right to remain silent. If you choose to speak to the officers, step outside and close the door.

Continued:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
IF YOU ARE CONTACTED BY THE FBI

If an FBI agent comes to your home or workplace, you do not have to answer any questions. Tell the agent you want to speak to a lawyer first.

If you are asked to meet with FBI agents for an interview, you have the right to say you do not want to be interviewed. If you agree to an interview, have a lawyer present. You do not have to answer any questions you feel uncomfortable answering, and can say that you will only answer questions on a specific topic.

If an FBI agent comes to your home or workplace, you do not have to answer any questions. Tell the agent you want to speak to a lawyer first.

If you are asked to meet with FBI agents for an interview, you have the right to say you do not want to be interviewed. If you agree to an interview, have a lawyer present.

You do not have to answer any questions you feel uncomfortable answering, and can say that you will only answer questions on a specific topic.

IF YOU ARE ARRESTED

Do not resist arrest, even if you believe the arrest is unfair.
Say you wish to remain silent and ask for a lawyer immediately. Don’t give any explanations or excuses. If you can’t pay for a lawyer, you have the right to a free one. Don’t say anything, sign anything or make any decisions without a lawyer.
You have the right to make a local phone call.

The police cannot listen if you call a lawyer.

Prepare yourself and your family in case you are arrested. Memorize the phone numbers of your family and your lawyer. Make emergency plans if you have children or take medication.
Special considerations for non-citizens:
• Ask your lawyer about the effect of a criminal conviction or plea on your immigration status.
• Don’t discuss your immigration status with anyone but your lawyer.
• While you are in jail, an immigration agent may visit you. Do not answer questions or sign anything before talking to a lawyer.
• Read all papers fully. If you do not understand or cannot read the papers, tell the officer you need an interpreter.

IF YOU ARE TAKEN INTO IMMIGRATION (OR “ICE”) CUSTODY

You have the right to a lawyer, but the government does not have to provide one for you. If you do not have a lawyer, ask for a list of free or low-cost legal services.

You have the right to contact your consulate or have an officer inform the consulate of your arrest.
Tell the ICE agent you wish to remain silent. Do not discuss your immigration status with anyone but your lawyer.
Do not sign anything, such as a voluntary departure or stipulated removal, without talking to a lawyer. If you sign, you may be giving up your opportunity to try to stay in the U.S.
Remember your immigration number (“A” number) and give it to your family. It will help family members locate you.
Keep a copy of your immigration documents with someone you trust.
IF YOU FEEL YOUR RIGHTS HAVE BEEN VIOLATED
Remember: police misconduct cannot be challenged on the street. Don’t physically resist officers or threaten to file a complaint.
Write down everything you remember, including officers’ badge and patrol car numbers, which agency the officers were from, and any other details. Get contact information for witnesses. If you are injured, take photographs of your injuries (but seek medical attention first).
File a written complaint with the agency’s internal affairs division or civilian complaint board. In most cases, you can file a complaint anonymously if you wish.
Call your local ACLU or visit www.aclu.org/profiling.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by stigup

All you need is a different Birthdate.

Then you can build from there. Then comes the Social Security Number, which can be different of the two people if you look them up.

Then it should be easy from there.

Then the man can sue for wrongful prosecution, destruction of private property, and harassment based on being arrested without cause, due to their lack of intelligence .(wrong address, wrong SSN, Doh!)

He would walk free with a nice chunk of cash. You have to look up the amount per charge.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join