It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What If A Collapse Happened & Nobody Noticed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Most of us are constantly combing the internet for news and IMO the average ATS’er has an above average understanding of what’s going on in the world. But what if all the signs we’re seeing that we appear to be headed for an economic collapse were actually the final stages of a collapse? I wonder if we’re witnessing the collapse right now and just haven’t come to terms with it yet. What does a collapse look like?

It seems people just cannot get past the "Zombie Apocalypse" theory of collapse. They imagine hordes of disease-ridden folks dressed in rags stumbling around and fighting over cans of petrol and stripping cans of food from shelves. That's not what collapse looks like. It never has been. In fact, there's very little evidence that a Zombie Apocalypse style collapse ever occurred in the historical record. Instead we see subtle patterns of abandonment and decay that unfold over long periods of time. Big projects stop. Population thins. Trade routes shrink and people revert to barter. Things get simpler and more local. Culture coarsens. High art stagnates. People disperse. Expectations are adjusted downward. Investments are no longer made in the future and previous investments are cannibalized just to maintain the status quo. Extend and pretend is hardly a recent invention.

No, what happens in a collapse is very much more subtle than a Zombie Apocalypse. Things tend to look pretty normal for the following reasons:

1.) People and Institutions are resistant to change.
2.) The system has a formidable array of resources to preserve the status quo.
3.) Sheer momentum.
4.) Creeping Normalcy
5.) Denial

Personally I think we’ve been witnessing the collapse for some time. The question is…how long do we have before our lives are all changed forever and the country hits rock bottom? Other civilizations have collapsed and they didn’t go out in one big event.

This is how history says collapses go down, not with a bang, but with a whimper. Based on recent archaeology, it seems this is how the Roman collapse unfolded was well. Although images of pillaging barbarians looting burning cities sticks in people's imaginations when they think of the fall of the Roman Empire, this was not the experience for most people according to recent scholarship. Big events tended to come down to us in the written record, but for ordinary people, it probably seemed much less dramatic.
link

Are we witnessing the collapse of civilization now? Have America and the EU collapsed already and we just don’t realize it?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Seabag I have no doubt that any day I will waken to a nightmare!

Things are out of control. Not just here but on a global scale.

History repeats its self, yeah, just a matter of timing I guess

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

Will you “awaken to a nightmare” or are you witnessing the slow, creeping collapse right now?

I don’t know, Rebellender. I think we’re in for a long grind to the bottom. I'm curious how long it will take and how much will my family be affected. I also think this slow grind might be spend up by a false flag attack or something along those lines...maybe Iran? N. Korea? China? FBI? CIA? DHS?

edit on 4-5-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
The difference between such a collapse for Rome and for the world today is that our modern world, America in particular, is so interdependent with so many parts of the world with things like food and manufactured goods travelling very far to reach our shores. The Romans for the most part were much more decentralized in terms of agriculture and manufacturing. Even though the empire's power and control was waning and trade routes failing most people were peasants who only needed locally produced goods and a good harvest every year to survive. Now if the delicate global supply chains get disrupted there is much more to lose. Agriculture is dependent on fertilizer and cheap energy and agricultural machinery which are in turn dependent on global trade. Medicines, iPhones, various bits and pieces that go into everything and much much more would be unable to get to people who need them and who have lived most of their lives with them. If global trade gets disrupted the whole rotten structure of our global society will at least get a good kick, and potentially fall in on itself.

Things as they stand, even though they are worsening greatly, are still stable enough that global trade isn't threatened, even if it is weakened. If a global currency collapse happens with no standby system which can allocate goods efficiently trade will for the most part stop. Or if something like Yellowstone erupting happens, or a new global war (I don't see it in the next couple of years but things could start heading that way) the same effect could occur.

If people want to survive the position globalization has put us in we must start robustification, with more people growing their own food and more manufacturing returning to local areas. Too bad that won't happen as our leaders continue to sell us out to this globalist scam.
edit on 4-5-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll

The difference between such a collapse for Rome and for the world today is that our modern world, America in particular, is so interdependent with so many parts of the world with things like food and manufactured goods travelling very far to reach our shores. The Romans for the most part were much more decentralized in terms of agriculture and manufacturing. Even thought the empire's power and control was waning most people were peasants who only needed locally produced goods and a good harvest every year to survive. Now if the delicate global supply chains get disrupted there is much more to lose. Agriculture is dependent on fertilizer and cheap energy and agricultural machinery which are in turn dependent on global trade. Medicines, iPhones, various bits and pieces that go into everything and much much more would be unable to get to people who need them and who have lived most of their lives with them. If global trade gets disrupted the whole rotten structure of our global society will at least get a good kick, and potentially fall in on itself

Excellent point!

Our system is much more fragile and interdependent so it wouldn’t take much to throw things into a downward spiral.

Maybe we’re slowing eroding and breaking down now but there will be a trigger, such as disrupted trade, that will be the final straw. In that case things could go down suddenly.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Take the video to 9:35 in and play from Meltzers Decoded Ft Nox episode. "Its not whether or not it will happen, its how controlled they can slow the effect:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
May you live in interesting times - Chinese curse.

Empires come and go, Persian , Greek, Roman, English and now American.

But the people with the most to lose, wont let the next empire take its place.

Groups such as the PNAC group, are causing Global conflicts without regard to the blowback it will cause, in the name of continuing the Empire.

Collapse is well under way, not as planned, but as a by product.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

Take the video to 9:35 in and play from Meltzers Decoded Ft Nox episode. "Its not whether or not it will happen, its how controlled they can slow the effect.

I actually saw that episode…good show!

I must admit, I think that quote is extremely accurate.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

Groups such as the PNAC group, are causing Global conflicts without regard to the blowback it will cause, in the name of continuing the Empire.

Collapse is well under way, not as planned, but as a by product.

Tw0sides! Where have you been, buddy?

Yeah, I think TPTB are creating many wars to collapse societies and conquer resources. If that doesn’t crush US then something else likely will.

I wonder if US is a tool for TPTB or the next victim?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

I wonder if US is a tool for TPTB or the next victim?

Not to sound to much like the movie, Network, but its true.

In the grand scheme of things, there is no US, EU or other collectives of countries.

There is just Boardrooms with balance sheets, profit and loss columns.

Collapses in one country or region will be offset with growth and prosperity in another.

Which countries go in which direction doesnt matter.

:::: lots of work and new hobby been taking my time:::::
edit on 4-5-2012 by Tw0Sides because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Worthwhile topic to say the least,,the physical narrations of a collapse seem to be abundant however the last stages will, I envision be hardly a hollywood ending.

I think the slow decline to an imminent disastrous end is exactly what we are witnessing today.I am not an economics historian nor an expert in geo-political turmoil,and yet we are witnessing unprecedented natural disastrous as well mass rioting and demonstrations.What I cannot fathom is why are they both happening at the same time,its truly wondrous that these events seem to have some type of alignment. I don't care that people say that its an awakening of the conciousness this feat in itself is unprecedented,its as if the earth is weeping before the final imminent blow that is surely coming very soon.

There is an energy that is being released all around, I have not slept deeply for months and I have never had that issue ever in my life ,I play mens hockey at night and for a profession I am a home builder, I never had any doubts about anything that mainstream media or the government told me until 911.I am a Canadian but I had personal interaction with that event that left me with unease and outright disturbing anger.That explanation is for another time [if ever] I am finally realising that "waking up" is as unique and different for every person .It matters little how we got there, as well it takes time to make the step over the threshold, it is difficult.

I am a Steady Eddy guy, 6 years ago I would have dismissed a site like this as people who do coke and live in their parents basement, I applaud the awakening movement for bringing me over, sometimes I wish though, you would have let me pass the rest of my life in the dark,its so much easier to be a guy drinking at the bar on the Titanic than the guy in the engine room looking at the water pour in,somebody pull the curtains I want to go back to sleep.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

The idea that it's all a charade really isn't that far fetched. 

The last 13 years in particular have been eyeopening. It seems like the globalists are taking the US for everything it's worth (and then some) and when the money runs dry it will be cast aside. America will be left in shambles. 

A global 'reset' is approaching. 

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I am outraged that Before its News has taken maybe the first 20% of a GREAT ARTICLE, that actually came out of a week ago, and published it, making it look like their work. I do see a link to the ORIGINAL WRITER on there, but it is not credited properly in any way!

The actual article (much longer, more detailed, and worth the read) is located on this unknown blog.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by QUEEQUEG

Great post and Welcome aboard! You will receive your tin foil hat in the mail shortly.

Hey, I share your occasional desire to return to the land of the oblivious. I try to limit my doom and gloom to a few hours a week so I can maintain my sanity. 

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ameilia
reply to post by seabag

I am outraged that Before its News has taken maybe the first 20% of a GREAT ARTICLE, that actually came out of a week ago, and published it, making it look like their work. I do see a link to the ORIGINAL WRITER on there, but it is not credited properly in any way!

The actual article (much longer, more detailed, and worth the read) is located on this unknown blog.

Great find! 

I had no idea I was quoting a plagiarized article!

I am definitely interested in reading the full text. Thanks!

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Originally posted by Ameilia
reply to post by seabag

Great find! 

I had no idea I was quoting a plagiarized article!

I am definitely interested in reading the full text. Thanks!

Just to be clear, I wasn't accusing you Seabag, I am fully aware you quoted it not knowing it's origins.

I have posted this before, but here it is again: 321Gold. I have been reading 321gold since 2000-2001. Bob Moriarty is the website owner and he writes articles, has writers, and links tons of related articles.

Two days ago, I popped over there and saw that, not the full article but a LINK to the blog, as appropriate. It is no longer on the main page, but is under "--->lots more here click" in the first white box at the top of the page.

I was incredibly impressed by the time, effort, and heart that the original writer put into that article, and it is in my opinion all accurate. It was like listening to my beliefs spelled out by another person. And how rare is that? How often do you come across a person who you understand exactly? Once a year, or less.

And a few minutes ago, I was thrilled to see the title of your post, the exact same as the article title. I was happy someone had taken the time to post here, where there are probably many people interested in that sort of thing, and so excited for the blog owner! I cannot fully express the rage I felt when I saw your link led to Before its News, a well known website, instead of the blog.

Besides that, I am now a huge fan of this blog owner and will be following it closely as I found his information well presented, accurate, and insightful.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Just pointing to this thread:

“We are preparing for massive civil war” and "economic collapse" Says DHS Informant

I think the vast majority of people will notice when any current collapse further spirals out of control.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I believe that these people are right. The thing about it is, though, that the burning and pillaging and horrible stuff always went on in the urban centers. Well, through history, most people lived out in the country.

But that's not the case anymore.

new topics

top topics

join