It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America. A country led by cowards.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Maybe he thought the US was in his corner and would broker a deal.

From what I understand, he wasn't with his family, but kept under guard at another location.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Has anyone else thought that it might have been possible that the Chinese were able to get someone to pose as a US diplomat inside the embassy to persuade him to leave?

If that were that case, this would show China has some pretty big cajones.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by justwokeup

reply to post by boymonkey74

I get what you both are saying. (I think)

Individuals have principles, values.

Governments don't.

Yes.

Individuals have principles (corporations or countries don't)

Individuals have loyalty to countries/corporations (corporations or countries have no loyalty to individuals).

Only the power of public opinion (if there is an effective free press) can force them sometimes to pretend they do.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I guess I can't be pragmatic about this.

Sure, governments have no principles. But the people it represents, does.

. . . . . . . . oh wait, Idol's on.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

What more can you expect from a government that went to war in Afghanistan to take over the poppy industry and a proposed pipeline?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jameela
reply to post by beezzer

What more can you expect from a government that went to war in Afghanistan to take over the poppy industry and a proposed pipeline?

Do you honestly believe that Poppy is the reason we went to War in Afghanistan? No offense, but that statement lacks imagination. I agree that once there we took control of the poppy fields, but the reason we went to war?
The pipeline seems more logical.
edit on 5/2/2012 by VeniVidi because: hanges from agree to believe

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

Not quite the same thing.

A person went to America for help. Because of a variety of reasons listed in this thread, America chose not to. I'm calling America a coward because it chose politics over principle.

Comparing that to waging a war with a faith bent on world dominance is something quite different.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeniVidi

reply to post by beezzer

Do you honestly believe that Poppy is the reason we went to War in Afghanistan? No offense, but that statement lacks imagination. I agree that once there we took control of the poppy fields, but the reason we went to war?
The pipeline seems more logical.
edit on 5/2/2012 by VeniVidi because: hanges from agree to believe

Well those things, and the rare earth mineral deposits.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I forgot, you have no understanding of why American went to war in Afghanistan or what we actually believe in our faith, and it is something obviously you prefer to learn from MSM than Muslims.

But that's OK, my point was what do you expect from a government who puts money above the lives of people....Nothing is ever about people, it is about the almighty dollar you worship.

edit on 2-5-2012 by Jameela because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

I forgot, you have no understanding of why American went to war in Afghanistan or what we actually believe in our faith, and it is something obviously you prefer to care to learn from MSM than Muslims.

But that's OK, my point was what do you expect from a government who puts money above the lives of people....Nothing is ever about people, it is about the almighty dollar you worship.

Actually, I'm more of a principles type of guy.
T'is why I'm calling America out.

But just because I do this on this issue, don't think for a minute that I'm jumping on the "awww poor muslims" bandwagon.

World domination religions like islam won't escape my scrutiny.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yay...another watered down thread we can look forward to from you.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
reply to post by beezzer

You're free to criticize.

But remember'
Those that can, do.
Those that can't, teach.
Those that can't teach, or do; criticize.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

coming from the most critical of all!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

What a mean spirited, personal attack. Boo.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

coming from the most critical of all!

beezzer? Moi? Nope. Just not blinded by political correctness.

If America, in my mind, does something right, I'll say so.

If it does something wrong? I'll say so

In this instance, they are cowards. Interjecting our current "war" is just another nway of clumping the two together.

If you think it's wrong, start a thread..

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

Re-took control. The CIA leads the drugs market and was in control of the Afghan opium through ISI.
The Talibans banned the poppies, it took only a few months for the US to send them troops.

10 years already. Didn't Obama commit to stay in Afghanistan until 2024 lately ?

Edit : A couple articles to help aging memories.

Taliban's Ban On Poppy A Success, U.S. Aides Say

Afghanistan’s cash crop wilts

edit on 2-5-2012 by Manouche because: links

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It's the way of the world now... China is so powerful, America would do ANYTHING to keep them on side.

What's one Blind activist in their view....?

I guess it;s the lying part that is most distasteful. "Yeah he wanted to go"
edit on 2/5/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I'm sure the Chi-Coms will let him go if POTUS Berry goes over there, bows down, and kisses their arse.
SnF

edit on 2-5-2012 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Here is a selection of statements and tweets about the unfolding situation, both from those directly involved and from external commentators:

Excerpts From U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's Statement On Chen Guangcheng

"I am pleased that we were able to facilitate Chen Guangcheng's stay and departure from the U.S. embassy in a way that reflected his choices and our values. I was glad to have the chance to speak with him today and to congratulate him on being reunited with his wife and children. Mr. Chen has a number of understandings with the Chinese government about his future, including the opportunity to pursue higher education in a safe environment. Making these commitments a reality is the next crucial task. The United States government and the American people are committed to remaining engaged with Mr. Chen and his family in the days, weeks, and years ahead".

Zeng Jinyan, Friend of Mr. Chen and Fellow Activist

Ms. Zeng sent out a series of tweets, most of them in Chinese, explaining what she says Mr. Chen told her. Below is CNN's translation of some of those tweets:

"His wife said local officials had installed surveillance cameras inside their house ... and would wait for her with sticks. If Guangcheng didn't agree to leave the embassy, she and the kids would be sent back immediately."

When contacted by CNN, she said what she tweeted was true, but that "she couldn't elaborate after being warned by state security agents".

GUANGCHENG TALKED TO ME. WHAT MEDIA REPORTED IS WRONG.
— zengjinyan (@zengjinyan) May 2, 2012

Excerpts From Chen Guangcheng's Statement To The Associated Press

Mr. Chen told the Associated Press via telephone from a hospital bed that "U.S. officials told him the Chinese authorities would have sent his family back to his home province if he remained inside the embassy. He added that, at one point, the U.S. officials told him his wife would have been beaten to death".

He says he told embassy employees, "I think we'd like to rest in a place outside of China. Help my family and me leave safely".

John Sparks, Channel 4 Asia Correspondent Who Interviewed Mr. Chen By Phone Today

#c4news asked Chen Guangcheng - Did you go to the hospital because of medical emergency?..Answer-(1/2) No. I came because of an agreement.
— John Sparks (@c4sparks) May 2, 2012

(2/2) I was worried about the safety of my family. A gang of them have taken over our house, sitting in our room and eating at our table.
— John Sparks (@c4sparks) May 2, 2012

Excerpts From Statements By An Unnamed Senior U.S. Official

"Throughout his stay at the embassy, U.S. officials consulted regularly with Mr. Chen to discuss his wishes. Mr. Chen made clear from the beginning that he wanted to remain in China, and that he wanted his stay in the United States Embassy to be temporary. He indicated that he placed priority on reunification with his family, and that he sought relocation to a safe environment elsewhere in China from the province that he's been living (in). He expressed his desire for assistance from the central government in addressing his concerns and grievances, primarily relating to his reported mistreatment and that of his family at the hands of local officials.

Mr. Chen decided to depart the embassy today and travel to a hospital in Beijing. He did so on the basis of a number of understandings. China acknowledged that Mr. Chen will be treated humanely while he remains in China... He has been reunited with his family - his wife and two children - at the hospital, and they remain together with him as a family. He had not seen his son in a few years, and his wife had not seen him (the son) either, so this was a family reunification after a long and difficult separation.

When he leaves the hospital, the Chinese authorities have stated that Mr. Chen and his family will be relocated to a safe environment so that he may attend a university to pursue a course of study".

Bob Fu, President of ChinAid, A Texas-Based Christian Human Rights Organization

"Relevant reports show, unfortunately, the U.S. side 'has abandoned Mr. Chen'. We are deeply concerned about this sad development if the reports about Chen's involuntary departure from the U.S. Embassy are true".

U.S. State Department Spokeswoman Victoria Nuland

"At every opportunity, he expressed his desire to stay in China, reunify with his family, continue his education and work for reform in his country. All our diplomacy was directed at putting him in the best possible position to achieve his objectives."

Liu Weimin, Spokesman For the Chinese Foreign Ministry

Liu Weimin, in comments reported by the state-run news agency Xinhua, called the U.S. activity "interference in Chinese domestic affairs, and this is totally unacceptable to China". He also said Mr. Chen left the embassy "of his own volition".

Full article here: source

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Obviously amerika is in no position to upset her landlord. I feel for this man and the ordeal of his journey to the embassy Imagine the feeling he must have had upon arriving only to have his hopes dashed when he discovered that being a blind man he had accidentally stumbled into the wrong embassy.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join