It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Descent to [MAD]ness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I've decided to spend my remaining time writing. Who knows what I may say, or where this may lead. I have to do something to pass the time. I don't know why I'm doing this other than I'm starting to get a little crazy being alone in this place. At least I'm alive, but I don't know if a life such as this has any value. I'm only waiting to die. When I'm gone, all that will be left are these words, some bones, and a hole in the ground filled with things that only prolonged the suffering.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They just had to go and screw it all up by getting "mad"...idiots.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was exciting at first. We thought things were going to change. Never before in the history of mankind had so many people been united under the banner of freedom. It was as if the whole world had finally woke up. They were ready to quit wasting their precious lives, and begin to really live. That was until it all fell apart. I'm sure anyone that is left has a theory about what happened, but in the end, what does it really matter? Everything around us is ruined. If the earth is actually able to heal itself, it will be long after we puny humans are gone. Basically, any of us that have survived are screwed.

I think it was the fires. That was when humanity's rage took over. They were isolated at first. I heard that the first one started in Texas, but who knows for sure. Within a few days people had burned everything to the ground. I saw a few news reports before everything went black, and the pictures and videos were frightening. It was like everyone actually went mad. The anger of a whole race seemed intent on burning their home to ash. Before long, traveling anywhere was impossible. The few towns that weren't still burning were nothing but ruins. After passing through a few trying to make it home I learned to avoid them. There are things there that will break what little spirit you have left if you view them.

This place is start to get to me...there's something in here that moves when it thinks I'm asleep.

I'm not sure what time it is anymore. The watch died a while back. I think it might be Thursday.

I had forgot about me writing this until I found it in one of my books. Those books may have saved my sanity. They gave me something to focus on. It's not easy being underground in the dark all the time. The mind tends to play tricks on you. I just keep it busy, and it leaves me alone. This place may not be a five-star hotel, but it has done it's job.

There's alot of history here. We used to come down here when I was just a kid. My best friend showed me this place. A long time ago, they use to hide slaves down here. It was part of the Underground Railroad. I wonder how many people drove past this place every day and never knew that there was a hole ten feet off the edge of the road that had stairs that went deep into ground. This room isn't huge, but for my needs it's not too bad.

I've stared at this page for an hour now, and I don't know what to say...I could have just stayed up there and died like everyone else. I should have. Trying to continue living without those you love the most is not living. I know it's not my fault, but who do I blame? The world? Fine, SCREW YOU WORLD. You're the ones that messed it all up. You didn't want freedom, you wanted destruction. I don't know why that surprises me though. That's all we humans have ever been good at.

There's not much left to eat now. I've considered going outside, but my fear prevents me. I don't see how it could possibly be safe. I saw at least 4 nuclear bombs hit close to here. There's no way to know how many they launched. I guess the fires weren't enough. I don't know if the government launched them trying to control everyone, or if someone else launched them, but either way, outside isn't much of an option. Honestly, I don't know why I'm not dead. I'm fairly deep in the ground, but I would think I should be dead. I guess I'm just lucky, or perhaps it's unlucky.

It wasn't such a great idea to go outside. It's a little hard to breathe now. I did find a little food at the house down the road, but there wasn't much. I don't know if it was safe to eat, but I didn't really have a choice. Dirt soup just wasn't sounding too appealing anymore. At least I have plenty of water in here, but I'll starve long before I can drink it all.

I heard them again. They think I can't hear them, but I can. I don't think it's safe to sleep.

No food...there's no food...

I saw one of them. The ones that move. They're sneaky. I opened my eyes, and I caught him moving. I have to figure out where he goes. Maybe there's another way out of here. Maybe there's something hidden in the ground. Nobody is left up there. Maybe they're in the ground...like me...I'm in the ground. I want to go look too. Maybe they have a city.

I'll be dead soon. I can drink, no food. I'll be dead soon....this sucks.

I tried to catch him, but he moved too fast. He's in the ground. He knows I hear him now.
He knows I'm waiting for him.

He says he wants to take me to his city. He says it's glorious. They live in ground. They hide there. They aren't like me. They do things. The want to take me into the ground. They have a city there, where it's glorious. They hide there because the aren't like me. The live in the ground. They live in the ground. They live in the ground. They tell me that I have been to their city before but I don't remember when.

They fixed the lights in here, but it's too bright now. They said that we're leaving soon. Everyone is waiting for me to get there so they can start the party. I hope they have cake.
edit on 2-5-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
The hole in the ground that was used by the Underground Railroad in the story is actually based on a real place. Not many people know about it, and people literally do drive past it every day, not realizing what's right beside them.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Thats pretty good.
I shall now steal some your thoughts and improve on mine.
Just kidding,of course.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Thanks for the kind words Kdog. I'm on my way to check out your story.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

interesting idea, reminds me of a book a read which was entirely made up of letters between two people.. I liked the "I hope they have cake" at the end

Peace
-TF

edit on 3-5-2012 by ThoughtForms because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ThoughtForms

Thanks for the comments. The cake line is also one of my favorites in this story. I felt that is served several purposes. It was a sign of hunger, it was a sign of a new beginning or rebirth, but it was also there to show the "madness" that can accompany death. I've always found people's dying words fascinating....I thought it was a good line to end with.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Well done.
There appears to be a common "dark" thread with these this month.

*giggidy*

top topics

join