It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Files Missing at National Archives

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

The National Archives and Records Administration has lost track of dozens of boxes of confidential and secret government files at its records center just outside of Washington, the latest in a series of such incidents spanning more than a decade.

How does something like this happen?

The missing classified materials include four boxes of top-secret restricted files from the Office of the Secretary of Defense as well as records from several U.S. Navy offices, documents obtained by The Washington Times show.

This comes to light after a three year investigation by the Office of the Inspector General. Apparently this isn't the first time classified documents have gone missing! The conspiracy theorist in me thinks this is just another way of keeping classified and secret documents buried forever. It certainly keeps them from being exposed by Freedom of Information Acts requests, or FOIA requests.

“According to those staffers that can recall, minimal corrective actions were taken,” the inspector general's office noted in the report on its most recent investigation.
Of course, not surprising at all.

I wonder if investigators found any empty packages of Morley cigarettes on the ground at the National Archives??

“While it’s troubling that there are boxes of top-secret and confidential materials missing, it’s not entirely unexpected considering the sheer volume of data the National Archives and Records Center is responsible for storing and protecting,” he said.
Acceptable loses?

Secret Files Missing

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Well what a convenient coincidence! Certainly makes things easier for the men at the top doing their job

The nature of the documents being secret means that it could potentially mean alot more have gone missing than we know, you know as there secret and all. Such a shame because even if there was nothing overtly interesting in them, we'l never know and speculation surrounding secret dosiers is already rife.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Ask Sandy Berger

Maybe he knows.
I'll bet money these files weren't "lost" but like so many other pieces of damning evidence of illegal activity were quietly burned to protect those in high positions of power.
Unlike public spaces there probably weren't any security cameras set up to record the daily events at the archives despite the critical importance of some materials there.
Another mystery that will go unsolved.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
WAIT A SEC.... could this be related to the missing german hydrogen bomb??

maybe some new super villan is building a DOOM base like in those old superhero shows?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Doesn't seem like too many in the govt are concerned over this, making it seem all the more suspicious. Nothing from Congress or POTUS. Hmm...no one seems to care. Wonder why that is? Really? Could they be more obvious? If it wasn't so ridiculously obvious that the govt simply got rid of secret documents they didn't want falling under FOIA requests...I'm speechless.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by The 5th

I love the fact that the official response goes something like this..."...Uh, well, we lost stuff again. It took a three year investigation to figure it out. Uh, well, we're not really surprised because there is so much material. We have a leaky building."
Brought to you by the US Govt.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Anyone that thinks there is or has been anything like transparency in government is so naive that its laughable.

Actually it's not very funny is it?

Some democratic/republic, huh?

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass

Anyone that thinks there is or has been anything like transparency in government is so naive that its laughable.

Right! Haha. When the govt says "transparent," they mean, "stuff we want you to know that doesn't mean anything."

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
It really is rediculous. Three years to confirm that said secret archives are lost and it seems like 'well, yeah the documents are gone, no idea where.... Hey lovely day today isn't it?'.'' There seems to be no urgent concern regarding how they were lost, or to prevent any further documents getting lost. Also seems very dubious that a place that is trusted to keep such a large volume does not even seem capable to run a very basic catalogue system......

edit on 2-5-2012 by The 5th because: .

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911

Originally posted by seagrass

Right! Haha. When the govt says "transparent," they mean, "stuff we want you to know that doesn't mean anything."

They mean transparent as in a one way mirror - they can see everything just fine, the rest of us have "no need to know".

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
well, dont be suprised if they 'surface' as part of some secret sneeky ufo researcher who 'obtained' them from an unamed high ranking gorvernment source not too far in the future
as for them actually going missing, you would think people leaving the building with bulging coats or over stuffed bags would be checked?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

I wish we knew what the files pertained to.

It would tell us that something has come up related to this information, and that it threatens national or global security, or some similar situation. Only something that was thought dead but has come back to haunt the government would prompt such discreet and permanent action.

Are there any clues as to what sort of files went missing? Any information at all?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Well the files have been missing since 1998.

It would be nice if the reporter had asked to which time period these documents pertained.

Could be anything a conspiratorial can imagine, with no leads this story is a dead end.

Cosmic..

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
guess what happend / happens to all important 911 files...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

I wish we knew what the files pertained to.

I wondered too! But there is no indication from the article what the files might have contained. It didn't sound as if the researchers had any idea either. Utterly amazing is the lack of govt response.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

...with no leads this story is a dead end.

Works out nice for the govt! Its a perfect way to close "the loop." No big mystery to solve. No one gets implicated. No law to violate. Works out quite nicely!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Just another example of the lengths that your US Gov and TPTB will go to , to keep their dirty little secrets.

DP

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Too bad they won't release any information on what was lost, I really wanna know what was in all those boxes. At its most basic level, this theft or crappy management of classified material is a serious problem because this is a direct threat to National Security, among many other things. If someone stole those materials then we have a HUGE problem, huge. If someone misplaced them then they need more training, supervisors included, or be fired. Losing classified material is a big no no. I know that sounds obvious when you hear it but it really is a serious job that should be feared. If you're not paying attention you could end up doing serious damage to National Security and yourself. And if you affect NS then you're probably going to be facing charges yourself. No bueno.

The National Archive obviously is wired out the butt with security equipment. So at least they have a record of the security tapes if need be. I'm definitely surprised that its acceptable to them to lose classified material. If the volume is too big for you to handle then open up another location to split the load, so on and so forth
. Losing classified material is not acceptable with me.
edit on 2-5-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I'm not familiar with the National Archives. I don't know a lot about them. I hope this results in a change of policy, or at the very least, a review of internal policy and procedures. Like you said, I'm assuming classified material stored there has the potential to inflict serious damage to National Security.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I'm reasonably certain that at the end of all Administrations, boxes of files disappear. Sometime in peoples pant legs, since they know they won't be prosecuted anyway.

The government tends to employ the last people on earth that could be trusted.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join