It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New "Mokele Mbembe" Expedition

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
intersting stuff, good to see some people still take cryptozoology seriously and believe we don't know eveyrthing about Earth yet. I Woudn't mind going but knowing my luck i'd get eaten by something

A young Missouri man has turned to the Internet in search of investors for his expedition into the remote jungles of Africa seeking to document undiscovered flora and fauna. That is not so unusual, but one of the creatures he hopes to find is: a living dinosaur. The region Stephen McCullah, the organizer of the expedition, has chosen to explore is the reputed home of the Mokèlé-mbèmbé, a dinosaur-like creature said to be up to 35 feet long (11 meters), with brownish-gray skin and a long, flexible neck. Many locals believe that it lives in the caves it digs in riverbanks, and that the beast feeds on elephants, hippos and crocodiles.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ShaithisFerenczy

This might be one worth buying popcorn for...

We have received reports...in the region of eyewitnesses seeing canine-sized tarantulas, large river dwelling sauropods [dinosaurs], and a species of man-eating fish," McCullah wrote on the website.

Er,,,wut?

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Hmmm, i read about that expedition early. They are going to stay three moths on the congo basin. Must be enough time to find weird stuff.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Frocharocha

lord only knows what they would find in the congo...maybe a lion? lol

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

This might be one worth buying popcorn for...

We have received reports...in the region of eyewitnesses seeing canine-sized tarantulas, large river dwelling sauropods [dinosaurs], and a species of man-eating fish," McCullah wrote on the website.

Er,,,wut?

I want some canine sized tarantulas in all their furry fuzziness! I could ride one around, and they could also hang out in front of my house doubling as a security system. Warning, no soliciting or trespass will be tolerated. All transgressions risk action by giant canine sized tarantulas! =)

edit on 1-5-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Finally! Yes.... wish him the best luck and I hope he finds something

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
OMG i'd vomit immediately in reaction if I saw a canine sized spider. Glad scientists have determined that they would not be able to harvest enough oxygen from the air to breath and would die after a certain size. or at least I think thats how the theory goes.

Either way I really want to believe that there is some sort of pigmy suropod living in the marshes along the congo. but hell something that big is going to make tracks. very very visible and easy to follow tracks. the thing would have been discovered millenia ago.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

You do realize how exactly big the congo is, do you not? It is HUGE. A large animal can hide there easily. Also, I think the spiders may exist. As one thing remains. Natives would NEVER mis identify a spider, they know exactly what spiders are. And if they say a large spider lives in the jungle behind their village and they are afraid of them, I will damn sure believe them.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Yeah but even a alligator is trackable due to the wallows it makes near the shore. you can track an alligator or crocodile from a plane by the markings it makes. You can track animals of any reputable size through the woods because they make a trail. they break things like trees and bushes. It would be obvious that something elephant size was making a living or treading through the marsh simply due to the impact it would physically have on it's environment. They're not mountain gorillas that can be delicate about what they do. their suropods, big ungainly creatures that probably wouldn't be able to move about in a thick jungle anyways. ever notice that even in the dense jungles you don't find tall humans. they are all pretty short. tall people can't move easily in the jungle and scare prey away etc... A creature like a suropod would have to live in the open.

The spiders. can't say that they aren't that big. just that it's nit plausible according to scientists. me I'm open to the idea. just would be horrified if I ever ran across one.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW FAST IT WOULD GO?!?!?!?! I am scared.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
i saw a documentary about this yrs ago. was interesting until they showed some of the witnesses a picture of a rhino and the witnesses said that was what they had seen.

"Mokele-Mbembe" is a generic, loose term used to describe most African cryptids, and many spiritual fictional beings that have nothing to do with the actual dinosaur. When natives admitted to a rhino being Mokele-Mbembe, they were referring to EMela-ntouka, which is a new species of rhino.
-wikipedia

edit on 1-5-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Dude I've seen black widows move really fast. I would hate to think of what a black widow with a meter legspan would be capable of doing speed wise. could outrun us thats for sure. and outclimb us. and out burrow us. man unless we can learn to fly sometime soon we are screwed.

Better have a high powered gun along with you to drop the thing. imagine running across a brood of it's hatchlings while coming around a bend in a trail. like 1000's of full grown sized tarantulas running around. probably right at you too. ewwwwwww.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
one things for sure, i wouldn't be going in there unarmed! i really hope they find something

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Who watched Eight Legged Freaks? Bring some of those dog sized crawlers over to civilisation and that what we have.
Imagine the fear reaction in teenage girls after seeing one of those things! That would be priceless.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Kind of reminds me of King Kong. I remember some expeditions back in the early 1900's where they were looking for dinosaurs in remote places along rivers. I wish I could remember the documentary I saw all that on.
Anyway....
I hope they discover at least something new. If not a dinosaurs, I guess I'll settle with a giant spider. Even though I can't stand spiders. I would scream like a teenage girl if I were to cross a dog sized tarantula. Gives me the shivers thinking of it.
TXML

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by txMEGAlithic

In fact, around 3 of these expeditions of 1900 to 2000 were sucessfull. Some of the Teams found footstrips, mysterious caves strange animal noises and even actually saw the dino. Homever it just disappeard too fast and the photos were too dampness because of the humity of the Congo Basin. Hope they find something now.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
how does a suropod disappear too fast. Thats what I want to know. Wouldn't they find massive heaps of dung. massive sections of crushed foliage. Massive trails or destroyed trees. Massive disturbances near the shores of these marshes. Birds going ape &$(#@ whenever this thing came around. Couldn't they ahve plastered the footprints supposedly found. heck don't worry about the moisture people do casting in the rain sometimes. it's doable.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
honestly, im no expert, but think how big the congo is, the sauropod in question may not even be that big, hell, for all we know they could walk a meter away from its tracks and never find it. obviously i hope they do but at the same time, there is a certain majesty to be had in thinking we don't know all the creatures out there

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

The existence of this sauropod is thanks to their amazing size. Since it got no natural predators, it would be very rare to find a dead one and the animal could live around 90 years without the need of a big population. In that time, scientists would have just 2 days- 2 weeks to find i'ts dead body before it disappear. Also, it would make sense if he is a semi- aquatic dinossaur. So he would avoid going into the jungle. The congo Basin is a huge plac.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join