It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much longer do you predict Christianity will be taken seriously?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Many people don't take it seriously even today, though there are obviously tons of Christians still alive today.

How long do you think it'll be until Christianity dies down?

My guess? Christianity will greatly die out in the next 100 years. I believe it'll be a sharp decline, considering science, atheism, and rational thought are becoming more and more prevalent, and since the invention of the Internet, information is being spread at a faster rate than ever before.

Christians can answer this too, it's an interesting thought.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Not much longer, hopefully.

Without it, we would have been far more technologically advanced than we are currently.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I think much less than 100 years, 100 years ago they were dominating now they are not.

Religion was needed to control the mass people of that time since they were not very logical and were unable to comprehend anything.
But now that there is much advancment in technology, the religions are trying to associate religion with the likes of andromeda council or any technological advancment by saying god made it so in order to keep people in their loophole.

/Kurdman

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ofNight

Never. If people quit following Christianity, there would just be something else to take it's place.

Mormonism came about in the 1800's, and if you read about how that began, it's about as unbelievable as anything Jesus related. And their numbers are growing at an astounding rate.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ofNight

Assuming that we continue to educate, and improve our education system.
Probably within a few generations.
You cant take religion seriously if your actually educated.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Year: 2059
Date: April 17th
Time: 5:35 am

It would take one amazing set of revelations for Christianity to not be taken seriously any more.

Just think about the complicated answers that would be needed in order for Christianity to be deemed not plausible to believers.

Is there even a religion from the past that we can 100% claim that nobody today takes seriously? It would seem that someone, somewhere ... still takes them seriously.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Interesting thought - I think that it depends on a great number of factors, not the least of which is whether or not there is any actual truth in the beliefs of Christianity. While you can believe or disbelieve, no one yet has disproved anything, so its open to debate.

Personally, I hope Christianity in its current iteration ends as soon as possible - I'd like to see a more enlightened version that some of the core ideals but is generally more accepting of science and modern advancement in technology and thinking.

On the other side of the coin, I'd like to see the same thing with the scientific community, but we'll have to wait and see what the truth is. I highly doubt I'll get any positive feedback for my beliefs, but you asked my opinion.

edit on 1-5-2012 by Holodomor because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ofNight

as one segment of society abandons christianity , another embraces it - lookt at korea

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I think Christianity has nothing to worry about from people asking things like this. It has over 2 BILLION followers in the world. The second largest is Islam with just over 1.5 BILLION. That's in the neighborhood of half the population of Earth in just those two Faiths.

Those against religion are amusing at times...but always will be a rather pronounced minority in the long run. No one faith is right over another, to my thinking. Not in theology. However, most of the planet does call one faith or another their own. I think those without religion have their right too. Absolutely. It's when it crosses into dumping on those who DO have faith that it gets a bit tacky.

Religions of the World and a General Breakdown

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I think Christianity has nothing to worry about from people asking things like this. It has over 2 BILLION followers in the world. The second largest is Islam with just over 1.5 BILLION. That's in the neighborhood of half the population of Earth in just those two Faiths.

Those against religion are amusing at times...but always will be a rather pronounced minority in the long run. No one faith is right over another, to my thinking. Not in theology. However, most of the planet does call one faith or another their own. I think those without religion have their right too. Absolutely. It's when it crosses into dumping on those who DO have faith that it gets a bit tacky.

Religions of the World and a General Breakdown

You are truly an Enlightened individual. Thank you for expressing my personal beliefs so eloquently.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I agree with the above comments. Intellegence will prevail eventually, the sooner the better IMO..

It's OK to have faith if it gives you hope, as long as you don't keep telling other people it's gospel (pun intended)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I think Christianity has nothing to worry about
For something that has nothing to worry about it certainly seems very scared about progression and advancement of the human race.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by HumanCondition

Well, that is one way to look at it. Scared of progress? Hmm.... There is another way that can be viewed as well. That would be strict adherence to a set of principles and beliefs over many centuries. That's always been a point I respect in the major religions. All of them.

There is something to be said for not simply blowing with the winds of the time and enduring over the long term. I believe that would be one of the strongest draws organized religion has. To the degree the large Faiths do real good in the lives of individuals who follow them, more power to them all.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I always liked a mix between Christianity and science. As Christianity is today, it doesn't believe in science and it has some backwards views. However, I like some of its views like exclusive relationships, watching out for your neighbor, protecting the weak, stuff like that. Honestly, those are the views I picked up from being Christian/ I believe in science, I believe in letting gay people marry, all kinds of stuff like that. But I'm not really Christian anymore.

Sometimes certain atheist movements can gravitate towards justifying yourself morally through power and neglect the fact that we are all worth while just by being human. You know, "It is a crime to be weak," that kind of thinking. I also think atheism could use a little bit less skepticism when it comes to general spirituality.

So a happy medium would be nice.
edit on 1-5-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ofNight

Until something better comes along.

This is something I just wrote for another thread The will never silence true Christians so I think I can repost it here as well. That poster was taking the opposite view - spouting Bible rhetoric without mentioning action to back it up.

Yes, but noise isn't what Christianity is all about.
It's not even about that Book, although it is a good Book.

Christian is a way of being

more than a religion

and it always has been a small and humble way to be.
~and therein lies it's greatness ~

No one today really 'tells' anyone else about Christianity.
You act and be in the Lord.
You lift up your fellow man. You give to the poor, feed the hungry and help heal the sick. You end suffering where you find it and bring comfort and hope when and where it is needed. In other words - you love.

And you do it for free and because of the benefits it brings round and round again.
'Your reward is in heaven' is just a way to say 'you are not getting paid' from people who don't know how awesome rewards of living an unselfish life can be in the here and now.

Make people want to jump in and get moved along in that Christ current with you.
Living a good life as a shepherd to man is what Jesus was here to teach.
And as it is written, it is those in Christ, who only love and ask for nothing in return
that are getting persecuted and victimized and brought asunder at the hands of men today.

And yeah I still think....until something better comes along.
Many are waiting, with Christ in mind.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ofNight

How much longer do you predict Christianity will be taken seriously?

The world never took Christianity seriously from day 1.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Read my signature and really think about what it means.

I think Christianity will just get stronger and stronger.

I don't believe in organized religion but I think humans can learn a lot from the teachings of Christ. Unless we ascend into higher dimensions we will always need the teachings of Christ. He taught us to be good, to see God in every being, to just be good spiritual beings.

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.
- Albert Einstein

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Holodomor
"I hope Christianity in its current iteration ends as soon as possible - I'd like to see a more enlightened version..."

I don't believe you have long to wait.... everything is about to change:

"What is about to come upon the earth is not just a revival, or another awakening; it is a veritable revolution. The vision was given in order to begin to awaken those who are destined to radically change the course, and even the very definition of Christianity."

"I have called the best of every blood line in earth unto this generation…I have elected to bring them forth in this generation…THE ELECT GENERATION…They will move into things of the supernatural that no one has ever moved in before… This generation…is going to see the beginning of this WORLD WIDE NEW ORDER. LINK

God has His OWN plans for a "New World Order" and He is using the NWO as a tool to bring them to pass.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by HumanCondition

Well, that is one way to look at it. Scared of progress? Hmm.... There is another way that can be viewed as well. That would be strict adherence to a set of principles and beliefs over many centuries. That's always been a point I respect in the major religions. All of them.

There is something to be said for not simply blowing with the winds of the time and enduring over the long term. I believe that would be one of the strongest draws organized religion has. To the degree the large Faiths do real good in the lives of individuals who follow them, more power to them all.
So the draw point is that they are consistently stupid?

Its one thing to stick to your own principles but what they did was oppress other peoples.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Christian here ....Like many on this thread I hope it is soon ..The sooner the better ..But my reason comes from the fact that in the scriptures the time of God dealing with the gentiles will end with the Church being taken away ,( rapture ,harpazo ) When that happens there may be something resembling the Church (building ,institution ,denomination ) but the Holy Spirit will not be working inside the believers .When that will happen is hard to say but most Christians think it will be soon ,..I sure hope so and all true believers pray for it to happen sooner than later ..So hang in there people and use a little patience ,and know that we are pulling for you guys and this is the one thing that Christians and christian haters will agree on ...peace :

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join