It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Recommendations On A Gun Safe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Let's keep the cost under $1k. Needs to accommodate 8 rifles (5 with optics) 3 shotguns (one with optic), and 10 handguns. Any thoughts on a good company? Specific safe? I know I can Google, but I like ATS opinions. A lot of guys will say they don't want to hear opinions because someone's Daddy told them something once. I respect those opinions too.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I can store them for you.

I keep mine loose and ammo in the safe.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
The only advice I can give you is not to buy a safe that's too small, I made that mistake and my collection ended up being way larger than my safe could contain, so I had to sell it and buy a new one.

Check out this company. Liberty Safe

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I don,t use a safe i use a Knaack tool storage box (there JOBMASTER® Chest)
www.knaack.com...

I live in a 30 foot motor home and have a weight limit on what i can carry. there are no light weight gun safes and even the smallest take a big bite out of that GVW.
i use drill proof locks and full of guns it weighs 1/8 of the lightest gun safe. plus i have a hidden camera and have a hidden lock that i added to the box.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Plastic bag and a hole in the ground

Otherwise, no doubt, they will be stolen from you at some point by the Gov.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

Hey thanks for the recommendation. I'm concerned about losing the guns, but far more concerned about them getting into the wrong hands.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

No problem man, I've got little ones in the house so I keep everything secured.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Here's a thread that floated around not long ago regarding Cheap Alternatives to a gun safe. Some good info.

For most people who just own a couple of guns and no rare collectibles there are some good options to keep your guns safe from little hands and from crooks looking for a quick grab. Even some homemade lock boxes. See my post in that thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
When looking for a safe you want to make sure that at least three sides have bolts. The size of the bolts doesn't really matter just the number of sides that have the bolts 4 sides is optimal. Also when placing the safe make sure its bolted to the floor. The weakest part of the safe is the bottom. The Champion T serious is a decent safe for under $1000 it has four sided bolts and is a 12/24 capacity.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Speaking as a locksmith, I would advise you to think about a floor mounted safe. Not just a safe that sits above ground, and is bolted to the floor, but a safe which is sunk into the floor itself. I would also agree with the poster who suggested ensuring that your safe has bolts on three sides. If you were just storing valuables, you could maybe skimp a little, but this is serious business.

The reason a floor mount is best, is that unlike free standing, bolt down safes, the under floor safe can be effectively hidden from veiw under a table, chair, bed, or other furniture. The other good thing about this is that it takes up no space in the room, and is very very hard to remove from the building.

There was an incident I remember reading about where a fellow had his safe stolen by crooks, who managed to attatch a line, and yank it clear off the mounting bolts in the wall and floor. It barrelled out through the window of his house, took out his car on the way across the lawn, and blindsided a police cruiser on its way down the road, leading to the thieves eventual arrest. But if the safe was actually in the floor, then the theives would never have been able to attatch any kind of line to it, and would have had to have plasma lanced the door on site, leaving you time to find a bat and bash thier skulls to mush.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Good advice, thanks for that and to the other posters. Want to mount it upstairs. Thinking about reinforcing the closet door and slapping a lock on it too.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Howdy. This is my first post but i have good insight on this subject. My father owns a lock amd safe company on long island. And before i deployed i worked for him part time. The most reputable safe company that i will reccomend is american security. They have a full line of gun safes from 11 long guns (no optics included in capacity) to double door 48 long gun safes. All with a minimum fire rating of 30 minutes at 1500 degrees F. For youre use id reccomend the mercury class 1 rated 11 gun safe its got a group 2 high security lock not a bullcrap lock like u find on sentry and brinks amd stackon "safes". Itll run you around 7-800$ and weighs 275lbs. Hope i helped you out a bit. Any questions just ask. Ill get you the model # if interested.
Thanks
Jeremy

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
80% of guns are stored under the master bed or in the master bedroom closet. Basement is a far distant third.

If you have room for a safe in the back of a linen closet or an old laundry chute, thieves probably wont even know you had anything.

Likewise, police doing a house-by-house search ( a la New Orleans after Katrina ) are only looking in two places, then taking your word for it.

Gun-grabbing national guard units and police auxiliaries probably won't show up with bolt cutters, much less a step-jack or come-along.

If they DO find the safe, then you say, "Oh...that thing. It belongs to landlord/grandad/previous owner. They never even gave us a key. Said it was empty (give it a kick.).

If you know they are coming up your street, and will find the safe, you can always take the guns away, and fill it with cleaning chemicals. make a production of opening it for them. Tell them the previous owner installed it; but you don't have guns, so you just keep cleansers in it when the grandkids come to visit. They'll be done within 60 seconds.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

find you a upright freezer that doesn't work gut it and modify it to hold your guns. most come with built in locks and who would think to look in a freezer that has rotten food in it.
or a drop ceiling.
edit on 24-5-2012 by crawgator406 because: forgot to add

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
For quick access and safe storage, I've recently purchased V-Line Quick Access Keyless Long Gun Safe ( secretstorages.com... ). Its locking system is nearly perfect, and it is made out of some high qaulity steel, just as advertised. It serves perfectly for me keeping out my kids, adults that are not supposed to have access, and casual crooks.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Any Recommendations On A Gun Safe?

Buy bigger than what you think you want.

You're going to need more room for optics,ammunition,magazines, and other 'things' that go with the territory.

The cheapest route to take is getting a surplus m16 rack and put in your closet with a good deadbolt and some kind of dehumidifier.
edit on 1-6-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join