It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wind farms are warming the earth, researchers say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Yes this is a real article...This stuff is too sickening for words.

New research finds that wind farms actually warm up the surface of the land underneath them during the night, a phenomenon that could put a damper on efforts to expand wind energy as a green energy solution. Researchers used satellite data from 2003 to 2011 to examine surface temperatures across as wide swath of west Texas, which has built four of the world's largest wind farms. The data showed a direct correlation between night-time temperatures increases of 0.72 degrees C (1.3 degrees F) and the placement of the farms. "Given the present installed capacity and the projected growth in installation of wind farms across the world, I feel that wind farms, if spatially large enough, might have noticeable impacts on local to regional meteorology," Liming Zhou,

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Not really news. Many vineyards and orchards use windmills to keep the crops from freezing.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Feiticeira
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanka. My bad!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by staple
Not really news. Many vineyards and orchards use windmills to keep the crops from freezing.

Keeping the crops from freezing and supposed global warming are quite different.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Yep, I forgot about that actually. I once knew someone that was involved in that business and you brought back some memories.

Kudos.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by capone1

Keeping the crops from freezing and supposed global warming are quite different.

I couldn't get the article from the OP to load, but I believe I found a sister article:

Large wind farms might have a warming effect on the local climate, research in the United States shows, casting a shadow over the long-term sustainability of wind power. Read more: www.montrealgazette.com...

Where does it mention "global" warming, it specifically says it affects local climates...

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
...and coal-fired power plants do not, right?

Look, if you're going to be producing energy you're going to be creating warmth as a by-product, just due to the fact that there will be heat lost. It's incredibly hard to keep energy from escaping once you've harnessed it. When electricity flows through transmission lines up to 30% of that energy is lost to the atmosphere.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by capone1

I'll be damned if I ever call Fox News real News......

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Please add to existing thread: here

new topics

top topics

join