It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Already Posted....Ugh!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Greetings ATS,

Mods, I'm hoping you may be able to chime in a clarify things if necessary.

Anyhoo, here's my rant for the day.

I'm tired of the "already posted" comments on threads. Now, before anyone freaks out, let me clarify my thinking.

We do NOT need multiple threads on the same current event (exhibit A: Treyvon Martin). Far better to consolidate the information into one thread.

We do NOT need multiple threads on breaking events (exhibit B: George Zimmerman's head). When you have a breaking news item to post, do a quick search first. Problem solved.

We've all run across multiple threads on the same topic, and it does get a little aggravating. Luckily the mods take care of that quickly.

But is it really necessary to mention "already posted" when the subject matter is buried in the bowels of ATS?

For example. I wanted to read up on Skinwalkers. Did the ATS search, looked through the threads, found some information. But what if I wanted to have a discussion with the current members on ATS? Our membership changes daily; new people join, old folks drift away (I myself took a two year sabbatical when I noticed I was using more aluminum foil that necessary for my hat collection).

Is it not possible to discuss these topics with the current members of ATS? Let's face it. If you reply or ask a question on one of the older threads, you're most likely never going to hear an answer. Knowing this, is it then okay to start a new thread on your topic? Maybe reference the older threads, by all means, but start a new thread to reach new folks.

Thoughts, ATS?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Good idea, yet, I know the answer.

The search engine is there for a reason. Should a new member require information regarding a specific topic, he can easily find it there, and thus, acquire what he searched for.

Yes, the thread might be old, but if the new member have some new info, and post it there, the old thread might indeed be revived.

vvv

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Agreed. Some topics are indeed interesting, but the threads are maybe dead. Also, some threads go up to tens of pages, it's really hard sometimes to get in on the action.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I guess it depends on the content. IF the thread you intend to create is merely a rehash of the same content, it's mostly a waste.

Now, let me explain that statement. I'm sure, like me, everyone else appreciates the time it takes to create a thread, and the effort involved in keeping a discussion going. When I say waste I mean..... Everything stored on this site, every character typed, is stored somewhere, and backed up. This is expensive, and simply makes economic sense to reduce the amount of wasted storage.

But... Like you said, some threads are old, and mostly dead. If you are attempting to expand on a new area of an already posted topic, new thread makes sense.

what I think concerns me and some others is the percentage of people on the internet who just want to hear themselves speak.

Take a look at the 9/11 area. That's what we are trying to avoid, a billion threads all rehashing the same information. Hell, someone posted one today rehashing ALL the same information. It's 2012 people, we already freaking know ok, we already HAVE that information, HAVE for years, and have hundreds of threads dissecting it already.

the other point I try to keep in mind is, pretend you are a first time user to ATS and really have no knowledge of a subject, so you come here to get informed.

what works better for you.... A handful of long, but content filled, threads, or a billion unrelated mix mashed threads, most of which contain the same content.I honestly feel if we were more strict with the "already posted" and kept discussions in a single central thread, we've have a much better time here, but that's me.

Anyways, I think you need to play it by ear, first step would be trying to revive the thread that is already present, it does happen. If that fails, create a new thread, referencing the old thread and content, but clearly defining the difference and reason for the new thread.

Whenever threads like that pop up they tend not to get closed down.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarioOnTheFly
Agreed. Some topics are indeed interesting, but the threads are maybe dead. Also, some threads go up to tens of pages, it's really hard sometimes to get in on the action.

100% agree.

i hate dead threads and refuse to go back to an old one buried under 9000 years of threads.

i will make a new fresh thread.

rage.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
With regards to the cost of storing threads, isn't there some way to identify "old and dead" threads and delete them? I don't know, just thinking aloud.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I think there needs to be a sort of time limit. Just for arguments sake lets say 10 months or two years.

The current system has some holes. Think ten years down the track wanting to start a thread on Fukashima(?)

Good luck with that!

Additionally people want to look at the same situation differently.

We also have bendy rules. The recent T/Z threads proved the point. Mods allowed great numbers of threads on the one issue. We have what, i'm guessing hundreds of threads on Ron Paul.

There is little consistency. I dislike threads being closed by some mods while other topics are allowed many many threads.

I am not having a go at mods. Perhaps look at a new set of rules with time periods, just a suggestion.

P

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
edit on 4/30/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Generally speaking, if a thread is more than a few weeks old, it's old news and a new thread can be created.
If it's a few days old, I see no problem with a mention of the origianl thread and a link.

ATS is a moving, constantly changing place. New members. New information.

Now, sometimes I can see value in dredging up those old threads: like an update to a murder investigation.
As far as removing them: they are still a valuable part of ATS and its members.....

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
as DontTreadOnMe mentioned the general rule of the thumb is that if a previous thread is old a new one can be made, what i usually do is link back to the old thread - it aggrivates me aswell when i get 'already posted" on threds especially when what either im posting or another op is posting is based on something years old.

top topics

join