It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we be telling the Aliens where we are..

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I have thought about this before, but not recently, until i just finished watching the new film
"Battleship".

www.imdb.com...

The film is about NASA's broadcast to "Planet G" announcing where the location of Earth is. NASA finds the planet in the "Goldy-lox" zone, A term they are using to describe planets with Characteristics much like our own.

In other words planets that might be habitable based on our own Planet Earth.

Anyway the signal reaches Planet G , and the aliens send a small advance recon group, They are high tech, reptilian and very very dangerous. Fortunately they lose their comms ship on entry to Earth, and the battle begins, if they are allowed
to "Phone home" Human kind is doomed.

So my question is should Scientists be sending signals announcing our presence, and should they instead be figuring out ways to hide us from detection rather advertising our world to god knows what out there!!

Over to you.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

If they are out there... which I am positive they are. They do not need us to tell them where we are, they already know.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
We shouldn't.

Never try to contact something that could be more powerful than you are.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

I have always thought this way too.

I remember back as a freshman in High School, arguing with my science teacher about this very subject. He, of course, was all for broadcasting our location to the rest of anything that may be living. I argued the fact rather simply: "If we can't reach them but our signals can, what if they can hear our signals and CAN, reach us? What if they mean to kick our butts and pillage the Earth of resources"?

Needless to say I was laughed at and keep it to myself now. Excluding ATS of course.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Stephen Hawking had a few thoughts about this scenario.

He concludes that trying to make contact with alien races is "a little too risky". He said: "If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans."

Hawking: Humans should fear aliens.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
If all it takes is one lone rusty old retired Battleship to take out their defenses, then sure why not, send them an invite and let's see how it goes.

Reptilians.... pffft, who thinks up this stuff.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by CADCatiaMan

That is what i think too, you gota err on the side of caution in my opinion, sometime in the future
we might look like a good larder to something out there that is short of a food supply!

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Cole87

I don't think that's a valid way to look at it. What if they are out there and they're looking just as hard as we are?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
If all it takes is one lone rusty old retired Battleship to take out their defenses, then sure why not, send them an invite and let's see how it goes.

The rusty old battleship, only See's a little action in the movie, and the movie is not really
the question here. Sending signals with our location is though.

What's your opinion on that ?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Too Late, we have been broadcasting our presence for the last 70 years or so, in the form of all the TV and Radio transmissions that we have on Earth.
SETI should be listening, not broadcasting anything.

Always remember that 80s film about Alien Blobs who come to Earth, talking like the 3 Stooges, and commercials etc, because of all the transmissions they have received from Earth.
Cant remember the name of the movie tho.

Doesnt matter, they have been here for a while anyway.

We still may be the Martians yet!! And the Saurans the True Earth creatures. Time will tell..maybe

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Yes, yelling out little heads off for any alien anywhere to come say 'hello' is fine by me.

If they show up and they happen to be hostile like Klingons, Kzinti, Predator, whatever, then, cool. We've then got a uniting factor that all of humanity can get behind, and if we take heavy losses, well, it's sad, but, there'll be less worry regarding overpopulation and competition for dwindling resources.
If we all out lose to the aggro invaders, then, well, we probably deserve it for slacking off on manned space exploration and development of plans to get us off this rock. Oh well.
If some how we manage to survive, then, we've confirmation that we're not the only kid on the block, and we've just run into a bully, so, it might be prudent to work on trying to level up.
Additionally, if we survive, then, we'll likely be able to swag off with at least some captured alien tech to give us legs up.

If it turns out Vulcans, or some other benevolent aliens show up, then, all the better, especially if they're willing to assist.

Best case scenario would be to have the equivalent of merchants roll through our little speck of a spot on the outer reaches of one of the Galactic arms of this Milky Way.
Merchants would swag us up with all sorts of toys and tech.

Refugees like with the movie District 9, or the Alien Nation series might also be interesting.

What might be even nicer is chancing upon a derelict craft, or finding the remains of old facilities on places like the moon, Mars, the asteroid belt, Any moons of any other planets, or floating around in the Trojan or Lagrange points of any gravity well.
Anything derelict and abandoned would be free swag.

I'm partial to hostiles coming along to shake us up like with the new series Falling Skies.
Zombies would be nice too, but, aliens will work.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

The rusty old battleship, only See's a little action in the movie, and the movie is not really
the question here. Sending signals with our location is though.

What's your opinion on that ?

The Missouri did take out their shields, their main defenses.

I think anything that can get here either doesn't find us interesting or worth their time, or they are already here visiting. Plus I really can't think of a worse form a tyranny than the one we're already in, the kind with invisible bars. At least we'd have a decent chance of beating our enemies if we could see their faces.

Most "alien" lifeforms must be enormous in comparison to us and our puny planet. If they are the same size as us, we stand a good chance of beating them if hostile.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Well during WW2 Field marshal Erwin Rommel used his radio set extensively, reporting all manner of information about his troops position, resource needs etc. relying on the Enigma cipher machine. He was known to shift his position often just before the evacuated command post was shelled by the enemy. Luck perhaps, or maybe he was part of a choreography.

Assuming these aliens are superior beings resistance is probably futile, they were probably on to us from those first I love Lucy broadcasts they would have received back in the 50's.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
What if we are the highest form of intelligence though? That's also the other side of the coin...

Men in Black, the end of the movie, come's to mind where the Aliens are playing marbles with our galaxies... I don't know. It all screws my head up if I wonder too much about it.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by gort51
Too Late, we have been broadcasting our presence for the last 70 years or so, in the form of all the TV and Radio transmissions that we have on Earth.
SETI should be listening, not broadcasting anything.

Always remember that 80s film about Alien Blobs who come to Earth, talking like the 3 Stooges, and commercials etc, because of all the transmissions they have received from Earth.
Cant remember the name of the movie tho.

Doesnt matter, they have been here for a while anyway.

We still may be the Martians yet!! And the Saurans the True Earth creatures. Time will tell..maybe

That's a fact. Further, if they did not pick up something from what Nicholas Tesla was doing, they probably are not here, or the signals have not reached them yet....

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4

The film is about NASA's broadcast to "Planet G" announcing where the location of Earth is. NASA finds the planet in the "Goldy-lox" zone, A term they are using to describe planets with Characteristics much like our own.

In other words planets that might be habitable based on our own Planet Earth.

Oh THAT old thing yeah....

Planet "G" is Planet Gliese 581D right in the Goldilocks zone of the 6 planet system Gliese 581. We collected messages and they are on their way now.... you can read the messages and see the time remaining;
(17years: 297days: 19hours: 12minutes: 26seconds at this mark)

here
www.hellofromearth.net...

The Top message from an Australian was this...

Hello Gliese 581d inhabitant. Can you help us humans travel through space and become smart like you. Please do not eat us we are a friendly race. Angus Pigott Canberra, Australia

I am NOT making this up

www.hellofromearth.net...

The Gliese 581 system is a mere 20.5 light years away and they have been watching our TV and radio for over 50 years

Gliese 581 (also known as HO Librae) is a red dwarf star with spectral type M3V, located about 20 light years away from Earth in the constellation Libra. Its estimated mass is about a third of that of the Sun, and it is the 89th closest known star to the Sun. Observations suggest that the star has a large planetary system consisting of at least six planets: Gliese 581 e, b, c, d, f and g. g is thought to be a candidate for habitability.

en.wikipedia.org...

ETA Gleise 581g was discovered after the message was sent to Gliese581d but since they are close it shouldn't matter

edit on 29-4-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cauliflower
Well during WW2 Field marshal Erwin Rommel used his radio set extensively, reporting all manner of information about his troops position, resource needs etc. relying on the Enigma cipher machine. He was known to shift his position often just before the evacuated command post was shelled by the enemy. Luck perhaps, or maybe he was part of a choreography.

Assuming these aliens are superior beings resistance is probably futile, they were probably on to us from those first I love Lucy broadcasts they would have received back in the 50's.

The radio 'bubble' around us is relatively small. anything 60 light years out might maybe possibly perhaps get some degraded RF chatter, if they're even looking or monitoring RF.
If they're sufficiently advanced enough beyond RF, they may not even use RF anymore just because it's noisy.
There's also the prospect of them not being advanced enough to even know about RF yet.

Anyone 60 light years out that actually does hear us, and on chance is interested in stopping by, or chirping back at us, if replying in kind to our own chatter, it'll be another 60 years before we get the reply.
If, for some reason they accompany that 'hello' with a 'manned' or robotic mission, then, there's no telling how long that would take, unless they've harnessed the power of science fiction allowing them to travel FTL.

edit on 29-4-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

To be honest my gut instinct, regardless of what the science tells us, FTL
is a given.Our puny minds aren't ready to figure this yet, but my assumption is that
advanced aliens will be able to go FLT.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
The radio 'bubble' around us is relatively small. anything 60 light years out might maybe possibly perhaps get some degraded RF chatter, if they're even looking or monitoring RF.

The early radio and TV signals would be degraded past the 20 light year mark to be almost nothing but noise, but the new signal we are deliberately sending is tightly focused

Here are the stars within 50 light years of Earth

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

That's Interesting stuff............. But I must go to bed....
2.00am

Enjoy , I will catch up on the thread tomorrow.

They are out there...
Hopefully they will stay there.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join