It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What foods to stock up in a SHTF moment?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I just wanted to know what your thoughts were on the food to store, personally i would stock as much white rice, spam, corn syrup, corn starch and honey for long lasting food, lots of sweets, Spirits ( even though i dont drink) and thats probably it as i cant think of the other things atm but i just would like to hear what your plans of action are for food?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Loads of KFC!

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
A lot of the canned foods like baked beans etc. have a very long shelf life too!

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Theangrypea

To add to yours....tinned foods, flour, pasta, knives, guns, slingshots, hunting knowledge, an ability to utilize my cunning, and a strong determination to defend loved ones and survive.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Peanut butter.

2nd.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Not to forget toothpaste & Soap! Hygiene is very important, even in "End of the World" scenarios ...

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open2Truth

Peanut butter.

2nd.

Yep. Even though it has a short shelf life compared to other things its an excellent food item.

When rancid it works great as a fire starter and is probably even more valuable for trapping and snaring.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by faryjay

Yeah i'd have a lot of tinned foods, especially chicken noodle soup

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Quinoa you cook, eat and store it just like rice but it offers far greater nutrition.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Anything canned and anything dried. When your hungry your hungry. Doesn't matter.
I look for sales and such on meats and canned goods. When I see a good deal I by a decent amount. I store the canned goods and use my oven to dry the meat. Canned veggies to not worry about... Corn and wax beans. Also, a good rule of thumb. The veggies you hated most as a kid are prob the ones you should stock up on.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
rice and beans and salt form the bulk of my prep as they are very cheap and form an almost balanced diet!!(excluding greens obviously) Both last pretty long without extra preservation too.

you just have to figure out how to make it taste good for a month

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
you said it with spam.

in resident evil extinction they ate canned goods.

anything that dosent have an experation date.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

The key is to pay attention to the wording of your title: "What foods to stock up on in a SHTF moment?"

You really want to have the stuf before a SHFT moment!

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I'm getting a BOB together myself, so far I have, shot gun with lots of ammo to hunt my food, portable single burner attachment that screws on the small Coleman propane tanks, tobacco seeds, tomato seeds, green/pinto bean seeds, Bought a risky whiskey kit calling it Bug Out Whiskey lol, figured it would help after a hard day surviven and all lol, And only take enough food till crops start coming, roasted red pepper and Blacked quail. does sound good, or squirrel stew/dumplings. That's what I'd do

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mytheroy

That's a good kit! Assuming you can stay in one place long enough to reap the plants. And, assuming there's still any squirrel around. Remember, we're talking about being prepared for any sort of disaster, whether manmade or environmental. While you're listing some excellent things, it wouldn't hurt to have contingency plans.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Dryed and canned goods make uo our basics. When ever we can afford it we try and hit Sams for dried beans, rice ect.... One thing to think about to if you can, Things such as wine tabacco,spices. These things will make good trade items if you find small developed communities.

Besides, if its the end of the world i'd hate to go cold turkey on alcohol, nicotine. and ATS all in one week. LOL

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theangrypea
I just wanted to know what your thoughts were on the food to store, personally i would stock as much white rice, spam, corn syrup, corn starch and honey for long lasting food, lots of sweets, Spirits ( even though i dont drink) and thats probably it as i cant think of the other things atm but i just would like to hear what your plans of action are for food?

Drop the corn syrup & sweets, they are not food.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by CarpenterMatt

corn syrup is a good replacement for sugar though and the sweets well they are just for some niceties

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

In a SHTF moment it's too late to start stocking up!

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Just learned the pinto beans from the store will germinate. Contain plenty of protein too. Seeds, heirloom only, save em year to year. Garden now! Learn the lessons as you go. Containers and pallets turned upright making pockets with landscape fabric, just have to water bit more frequently. Make sure your seeds are of things you will actually eat, don't waste time and water and resources if you are not going to eat it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join