It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Standing water in birdbath could cost you $2000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
source www.nytimes.com...

I am almost at a loss for words. It may be a breeding grounds for mosquitoes (I thought birds ate the larva) but if I am on a jury for this I could not convict.

Will the DHS, EPA or CDC hear of this and take jurisdiction? Will you need a license to have a birdbath? Don't laugh!

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
They probably don't want you to have the "free" water.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
The realy annoying thing? everything that happens to you guys always happens to us in the uk a year or two later.

I agree with above, they dont want you to have the water.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

Geez, next thing you know they're going to ticket you for walking your dog on the wrong side of the road...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
So who pays if there is a puddle, a swamp, a pond? Why are bird baths (and probably uncovered rainwater collection barrels) singled out? Because they have a funding stream that can be identified and exploited that will withstand a challenge in a court.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by tkwasny
So who pays if there is a puddle, a swamp, a pond? Why are bird baths (and probably uncovered rainwater collection barrels) singled out? Because they have a funding stream that can be identified and exploited that will withstand a challenge in a court.
The property owner/landlord is responsible according to the article in the link.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
First solution is to give a fine

What happened to give a warning or information

edit on 28-4-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
your yard better not have a low spot where mosquitos can live, what about small ponds or run offs should they be illegal...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
so where will the mosquitoes live now? Will they be rehomed?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Well, If I were a bird...I know who I'd fly over....bombs awayyyyyyyyyy.......

Guess I should go drain my pond....

Des
edit on 28-4-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
The governments are desperate for cash and are taking it from the citizens in the way of trivial fines.

Poor guy. Glad to see he received media attention.

I agree with the poster who made fun of this being their FIRST reaction. Let's not try to make the citizen aware of this ridiculous law. Let's just give him a $2000 fine.

It's not about the water or mosquitoes- it's just about the money.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I think this is a bit extreme seeing as there are no birdbaths in my neighborhood and yet mosquitoes still have plenty of drainpipes, puddles, empty bottles, storm drains, etc to breed like crazy and wreak havoc in my neck of the woods.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Bit dissapointed to see he filled in the birdbath with gravel.
A quick check on the net reveals solar powered birdbath water pumps exist at prices way below what his fine was.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I guess I should charge the town for the drainage easement next to my property that never really drains.
The mosquito population explodes after rain showers, and the town never bombs the water. The water collected pools like a small pond that can last for a month or more. Double edged swords again I suppose.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

What happens when you get a stupid liberal law enforced by a stupid liberal on a power trip?

You get a $3,000 fine for water in a birdbath.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
so the new code makes bird baths obsolete?

cuz even if u dont add water, rainclouds will

where are the birds supposed to drink from, anyways? theres no streams in the city... and its junkyard tires etc that breed quitos, not garden birdbaths that are usually well maintained, in contrast.

what next?

gardening outlawed cuz it provides forage and breeding grounds for bugs??

the new construction trend seems to be to blacktop, concrete, or paver 100% of the outdoors space. maybe that will be the new anti-lorax code.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

This has been a standing law in some Asian countries for many years, (Singapore, Thailand , Malaysia) .

Even if pot plants have standing water, in a saucer you could be fined.

It is to stop the spread of malaria, but I cannot see the need in an area like NY.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
The realy annoying thing? everything that happens to you guys always happens to us in the uk a year or two later.

Lol, I was about to say just the opposite.

top topics

join