It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Nuclear Power Plant Is Under Attack by Weird Sea Creatures

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

The creatures aren't each that big—there are just too many of them. According to officials, the salp will likely disperse after a few days. Apparently it's not that weird for jellyfish to swarm power plants. It's just that no one seems to have a good explanation.

so they are not that big.........they will likely be gone in a few days........and it's not unusual?

But you think that they are attacking nuclear power plants......why?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeThinking

Please, tell me how many people have died from Nuclear Power, then tell me the number of people that have died from Coal Power.

Let me know what the statistics imply. Nuclear Power is safe, and you tree hugging enviro-wackies are destroying the only chance we have of renewable, plentiful energy.

I'm not a tree-hugger, but thanks for the insult.

There are lots of safe renewable energies and I do hope we pursue them.

Lots of people have died in both coal and nuclear... however if a coal plant has a problem it doesn't have the potential to poison the earth for generations. How many nuclear plants are built on earthquake zones???

Fukushima was just one of many.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Good!!!! The mayans said that this would be the year of "Earth's vengeance." Hearing this makes my heart glad. Thanks for posting.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Let me know what the statistics imply. Nuclear Power is safe, and you tree hugging enviro-wackies are destroying the only chance we have of renewable, plentiful energy.

You're being a bit dramatic. Our ONLY chance of renewable, plentiful energy? Really?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll

The creatures aren't each that big—there are just too many of them. According to officials, the salp will likely disperse after a few days. Apparently it's not that weird for jellyfish to swarm power plants. It's just that no one seems to have a good explanation.

so they are not that big.........they will likely be gone in a few days........and it's not unusual?

But you think that they are attacking nuclear power plants......why?

Apparently it has happened quite a few times. This was the first I heard of it... I provided link in subsequent posts to other occurrences.

Interesting, no? That's why they call it news.

The title is directly copied from the linked article. If you have a problem with the title take it up with Gizmodo or LA Times...

I think they are swarming, like I stated in my post. Apparently many forms of jellies are swarming due to over fishing according to marine biologists. The fish that eat them are being wiped out so jellies are swarming more and more.

We should probably do something about that... another in a long list of things we should be doing. But the earth will go on with or without us. We might wipe ourselves off the face of the planet, but we are not really going to kill the earth... it will go on with or without us.

edit on 26-4-2012 by pianopraze because: spelling

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze

We should probably do something about that... another in a long list of things we should be doing. But the earth will go on with or without us. We might wipe ourselves off the face of the planet, but we are not really going to kill the earth... it will go on with or without us.

edit on 26-4-2012 by pianopraze because: spelling

Very true. Humanity will have a choice...We can either change the way we live, or no longer be here. It's really that simple.Regardless, the earth itself is not going anywhere. You are right.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I remember reading/seeing in various places that the acidity level of our oceans is rising, which makes it more ideal for jellyfish and other similar invertebrates. Their population is BOOMING. In fact, there was an article --somewhere-- that was about HUGE jellyfish "blooms" in the Pacific and/or Indian Ocean.

SIDE NOTE: Related or not? Just a curious thing: if you google "jellyfish UFO" you might be surprised that there has been an increase in UFO sightings where the UFO is described to resemble a (wait for it!) ...jellyfish. Just an interesting thought. Who knows, somewhere in a part of the Pacific where there are not cargo/flight routes... in all that unseen hundreds of miles of ocean... maybe jellyfish, if reaching certain population levels, evolve into an airborne kind of lifeform that uses more thought than physics...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I wonder if people might be overthinking all this a bit? Roaches are attracted to electronic devices in a kitchen because of the very very faint energy fields they put off...or so an exterminator once told me. Couldn't this be about that simple? Someone here mentioned Nuke plants are not exclusive as an area these seem attracted to...so maybe they are just the water version of a roach?
edit on 26-4-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by RandomEsotericScreenname
reply to post by Virgil Cain

Good call on the first pic, but I think the 2nd one is just in front of the camera and the diver is further away.

ETA, ok the diver actually overlaps it, it must be shopped then, obviously they don't get that big. The diver must be shopped in.
edit on 26-4-2012 by RandomEsotericScreenname because: (no reason given)

so i read this post and started thinking about a documentary i saw years ago that showed divers swimming with enormous jellies. now obviously i can't show you that, so i looked up size information...
the very first species of jellyfish i researched was the Lion's Mane, and this i found that...
The largest recorded specimen found, washed up on the shore of Massachusetts Bay in 1870, had a bell (body) with a diameter of 7 feet 6 inches (2.29 m) and tentacles 120 feet (37 m) long.

is this where we've got to now? debunking jellyfish photos? ats you make me cry.

as for the OP, salps are incredible things. bizarre life cycles, strange vertebrate precursor style nervous system... it seems odd that this is suddenly being reported if it happens regularly though.
of course, if there's been a phytoplankton bloom anywhere nearby that is your explanantion right there ;p

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Please, tell me how many people have died from Nuclear Power, then tell me the number of people that have died from Coal Power.

You forgot about Nathan Stubblefield, Nikola Tesla, Stanley Meyer, Edwin Gray, Richard Clem, Viktor Schauberger, Daniel Dingell, and others who have all found ways to get energy without consuming a limited resource or creating deadly poison waste.

Check your facts before you go touting nuclear power on post-Fukushima Earth.
edit on 27-4-2012 by seamus because: had to add VS

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Virgil Cain

Originally posted by pianopraze

They are beautiful... and deadly.

link

link
edit on 26-4-2012 by pianopraze because: ...

I was gonna say, those are hella cool lamps. If only I pwned a seafood restaurant! Wait, then I'd be part of the problem. nevermind.

A little off topic here, but I gotta point out that the first image are jellyfish lamps - not actual jellyfish. If you follow the link, the date of April 1st also makes me suspicious.

Also, I'm a little suspicious of the last image as well. I did a little research on the Nomura's Jelly, and while they can get as big as a human, the one in that photo is absolutely ginormous. Could simply be a monster jelly or a little image manipulation.

To the OP, this is not a slight to you as this is a great thread - S & F - I only wanted to point out my opinions about those images...
edit on 26-4-2012 by Virgil Cain because: Take out unnecessary images

I was gonna say, those are hella cool lamps. If only I pwned a seafood restaurant! Wait, then I'd be part of the problem. nevermind.
edit on 27-4-2012 by setec astronomy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
These little critters have quite an agenda. Not only do they despise nuclear power, salp crap may cause global warming...

Sinking fecal pellets and bodies of salps carry carbon to the sea floor, and salps are abundant enough to have an effect on the ocean's biological pump. Consequently, large changes in their abundance or distribution may alter the ocean's carbon cycle, and potentially play a role in climate change.

Source

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by decepticonLaura

Not trying to debunk anything as the OP has posted an actual event. There's no arguing that the operation of a nuclear power plant is being disrupted by jellyfish clogging its intake pipes. I simply wanted to point out that the first image accompanying the post was not a jellyfish.

The other image may be real, but if the largest Lion's Mane ever found had a bell of 7 1/2 feet, then the one in the last picture would be probably be almost twice that size from the look of it. It simply has many of the hallmarks of having been manipulated.

As I said before, overall I think this is a great thread....

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I love animals - no matter how mutated they could be

But....nuclear power will be vital to our world. Nuclear fission reactors give us 100 million x more energy than fossil fuels do. It's a pretty big difference. The problem is that scientists don't know how to get rid of the waste - they dump it into sea trenches and don't check if there's any leakage etc (which is a big potential.)

However, now we come on to Nuclear Fusion reactors (thought to be sustainablely feasible by 2020)....that gives us NO radioactive waste and loooads more energy than nuclear fission reactors do.

It's a win win situation for everyone (in 2020)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join