It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask a Teacher Anything

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

With the plethora of school-based threads lately, I thought it might be helpful to start a thread where you can ask questions about your child's education. I can help you with the following topics:

1. Diagnosing learning disabilities and how to help

2. Occupational Therapy for sensory disorders

3. The truth about ADHD and medication (alternatives to medication)

4. The rights of the students and parents (how to make sure your child is protected)

5. Developing an IEP (individualized education plan)

6. Handling bullies, including teachers or administrators who bully students

7. Strategies for improving your child's reading and math abilities

8. How education in America is changing

9. Anything else you might want to know.

Please note: this thread is for discussing solutions to problems only. I realize there are a lot of horrible stories about schools on ATS right now, and its great that those issues are getting the attention they deserve. But this thread will focus on solutions to problems you might have, or answers to questions.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Care to expand on number three? ADHD wasn't around half a century ago and now every kid who does the wrong thing or wont pay attention is slapped with Ritalin or sent to a padded room...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Boy, I wish this thread was available about 6 years ago!
I'll ask this anyway.
When my son was in 5th grade, he had lots of problems. I went to a conference with the teacher, who told me that my son should be on ADD meds.
At first I went to the doctor to get them. When the doctor actually wrote the script after being with my son for 10 minutes. I got mad, ripped up the script and found a new doctor. Turns out he did not have ADD or ADHD or anything like that.

My Question, Do you think that teacher had any business telling me that?

I later found out that here in MI they are not suppose to do that.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Sorry if I am derailing your thread a bit but here's something I just found...
www.smh.com.au...

But some of the other students at his Sydney school were not using their prescribed drugs the way their doctors intended. Instead they found a ready market among classmates, who were prepared to pay $1 or $2 a pill, sometimes up to $5 a tablet, depending on the strength of the dose, the Herald has been told.

These are the guys who are studying to become future psychologists. If he is happy to take the drug then he will be just as fine to give it to any kid he finds needing "treatment".

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
What is your opinion on 'Charter Schools'.?

They seem to be a good idea on the surface to ensure teachers do a good job. I think its great that they can fire Teacher's from a Charter School if they are poor Teacher's. The Teacher's Union protects poor teacher's.

Do you think 'Charter School's' are a good thing?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
9. Timmy brings a pack of matches to school, another kid tattles on him, you tell him you aren't gonna tell his parents but then you do.

Who is in the wrong here and why?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I love your positivity, smylee. *hugs*

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigBruddah
Care to expand on number three? ADHD wasn't around half a century ago and now every kid who does the wrong thing or wont pay attention is slapped with Ritalin or sent to a padded room...

ADHD is a real diagnosis. However, I personally think its over-diagnosed in the majority of cases.

Our schools today are under such tremendous pressure that we sometimes forget we are teaching children.

It's unrealistic and cruel to expect a young child to stay focused and still for extended periods of time. They get the fidgets, just like we adults do. So a fidgety child may be referred to a parent with "attention problems.".
There isn't an attention problem, the child is simply being a child.

Behavior problems also get diagnosed as ADHD. That's a pretty complex subject so I'll let it go unless someone wants clarification.

One quick way to tell if your child has ADHD: observe them watching their favorite show, listening to a book, whatever. If they can be still, then it's unlikely to be ADHD.

If your medical doctor diagnoses your child with ADHD, you don't have to go the medication route. Google ADHD coping strategies, there are a lot of them.

Hope this answered your question.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
Boy, I wish this thread was available about 6 years ago!
I'll ask this anyway.
When my son was in 5th grade, he had lots of problems. I went to a conference with the teacher, who told me that my son should be on ADD meds.
At first I went to the doctor to get them. When the doctor actually wrote the script after being with my son for 10 minutes. I got mad, ripped up the script and found a new doctor. Turns out he did not have ADD or ADHD or anything like that.

My Question, Do you think that teacher had any business telling me that?

I later found out that here in MI they are not suppose to do that.

No. Teachers are not medical doctors. We can't say a child has ADHD. We can tell the parents that the child has difficulty focusing but that's it.

Usually when a child is being evaluated, the doc gives the teacher and the parents forms to complete. These are observational questions and the doc calculates the probability of ADHD. One test is called the Conners, another the Vanderbilt.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigBruddah
Sorry if I am derailing your thread a bit but here's something I just found...
www.smh.com.au...

But some of the other students at his Sydney school were not using their prescribed drugs the way their doctors intended. Instead they found a ready market among classmates, who were prepared to pay $1 or $2 a pill, sometimes up to $5 a tablet, depending on the strength of the dose, the Herald has been told.

These are the guys who are studying to become future psychologists. If he is happy to take the drug then he will be just as fine to give it to any kid he finds needing "treatment".

I worked my way through college and grad school. I worked at a pharmacy. My guess, and it's just a guess, is that at least 25% of the ADHD meds were resold on the street. Most ADHD meds are stimulants, so you can see the street appeal.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I don't mean any disrespect but how come the truth about historical facts isn't taught in school? I was taught to revere the colonists. But upon further research on my part, I had found out about the Native American genocide which they had never talked about when I was in school. When I brought up the issue I was told there was no such thing and was reprimanded for holding fast to the facts. And this is just one example out of many. Why such secrecy and hypocrisy? Can't the teachers take it upon themselves to teach outside the curiculum, or adding side notes to what is being taught?
edit on 26-4-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

I think Charter Schools can be wonderful, especially if the focus of the school is something the student enjoys. We have a couple of charter schools in my county, they mainly focus on math and science. These schools consistently score high on tests, but you have to remember these are the kids who WANT to go to the charter school. They have a vested interest in the program and are there by choice.

I do want to address a common misconception about teachers, unions, and tenure. I can only speak for my state of NC, but tenure isn't the magic pass a lot of people think. Having tenure only protects your job in case positions are eliminated. For example, if our school system has to get rid of twelve teaching positions, the teachers with tenuire are safe.

You CAN be fired even if you have tenure. I've seen it done. Also, you must renew your teaching liscense every five years. To renew, you must have a certain amount of continuing education credits AND a written recommendation by your principal. If your work history is poor, your liscense is not renewed.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
9. Timmy brings a pack of matches to school, another kid tattles on him, you tell him you aren't gonna tell his parents but then you do.

Who is in the wrong here and why?

First of all, if Timmy brought a pack of matches to school, I would call his parents myself. Most likely Timmy meant nothing malicious; kids are curious creatures and like to show others theh things that fascinate them. I wouldn't assume Timmy was a raving pyromaniac intent on burning down the school unless there were other warning signs.

After the phone call, depending on the group of kids, we might have a talk about the dangers of playing with matches.

I would never tell a child something, then turn around and do the opposite. It would undermine the child's trust in me, and that trust is very important.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

What grade...(or subject) do you teach?

And what is your current education...(BA, BS...etc...)?
edit on 26-4-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R

I don't mean any disrespect but how come the truth about historical facts isn't taught in school? I was taught to revere the colonists. But upon further research on my part, I had found out about the Native American genocide which they had never talked about when I was in school. When I brought up the issue I was told there was no such thing and was reprimanded for holding fast to the facts. And this is just one example out of many. Why such secrecy and hypocrisy? Can't the teachers take it upon themselves to teach outside the curiculum, or adding side notes to what is being taught?
edit on 26-4-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

This question is not really one I can speak to, because in elementary school we don't do a lot of history. We cover the typical holiday topics, but that's it. However, I'll ask my husband (who has taught middle and high school) and see what he thinks.

When I taught fifth grade, we examined the Civil War. Our text book had about three pages with big print on the subject, and it mostly focused on slavery. I felt it was important for my students to understand it was also about state's rights, so I made sure they heard it.

The textbooks are not supposed to be used exclusively, but are simply a tool for teaching. Good teachers will often ignore the textbook entirely and use historical documents. I know this is why my husband does. When discussing WWII, the class had to read letters from the Japanese people kept in the camps. Really eye opening stuff.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

Currently I teach first grade, but I've taught first through eigth. I much prefer the younger ones.

I have a Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction. I'm also pursuing a doctorate in developmental psychology.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Currently I teach first grade, but I've taught first through eigth. I much prefer the younger ones.

I have a Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction. I'm also pursuing a doctorate in developmental psychology.

Very nice...please forgive me asking...it was not meant to condescend at all.

One last question...do you have any published work?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R

6. Handling bullies, including teachers or administrators who bully students

I was once [many moons ago] sent to the office for disrupting the class when I refused to sit there and be spoon fed old cold war propaganda about Russia, Soviet Union from an obviously over the top Pro US/West old fart teacher. [I wasn't then nor ever will be a fan of the Reds] but, his rhetoric was extreme and when I called him out on some of his BS [Not once but several times that year] finally after a few heated arguments and debates [That he lost] one day he sent me to the office and started procedures to get me expelled for disruptive behavior.

Thank God, The school's student counselor was a much more open minded level headed fellow. Make a long story short, two months later the Teacher was "Retired"

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Very nice...please forgive me asking...it was not meant to condescend at all.

One last question...do you have any published work?

I didn't find your question condenscending at all.

I have not published any articles or research yet. However, I have given lectures to different school systems as part of their inservice training. Generally, when I'm contracted to speak,its about brain development with regards to learning.

Its very time consuming to be a teacher. And despite the common belief, our summers are not free of obligations.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I was once [many moons ago] sent to the office for disrupting the class when I refused to sit there and be spoon fed old cold war propaganda about Russia, Soviet Union from an obviously over the top Pro US/West old fart teacher.

That explains so many questions about the famous SLAYER!

Glad to see not much has changed!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join