It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Bans Mother Over Photos of Disabled Son

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by reitze

Sad but true. I got reprimanded before for linking a petition, we are only allowed to discuss matters here, not do anything to remedy them.

15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:
i) You will not use your membership in the Websites for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

Technically the whole KONY thing was against these TOS, but was allowed to be posted for some reason.....
edit on Wed, 25 Apr 2012 18:41:52 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Sue Facebook for what? Do not blame Facebook blame the people who flagged the picture.

www.facebook.com...

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Just one more reason I do not and will never have a Facebook account.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MmmPie
Facbook is a joke, the only thing people do on there anymore is repost memes from other sites and friends. They barely use it to express themselves in an original way. The only thing I use it for is posting interesting news articles I think people should look into. I've actually started to use it just to say inflamitory things about politics, facebook, and the like just to get a rise out of anyone willing spying on my pages.

I hope it dies soon.

Not true I just expressed myself in an original way on Facebook today! My status "Work -.-" LOL.
Anyway I agree with the reply that it was a jealous or hateful person, that's the only way they get banned is if another user flags the photos and if they do it enough times, well then they get the person banned...so that's probably most likely what happened.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Out of all the groups (race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc.), disabled individuals are the most discriminated against and take the most heinous abuses society dishes out. The government and media are always playing the "if you can't see it, then it doesn't exist" game. After this group, the most discriminated against are the homeless, but these two do go hand in hand. They are the misfits of society. Just put them away where you can't see them and POOF they're gone.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Not sure if this has been said yet or not but I feel that the picture opens up the lady and her son for hate speech and that might be what Facebook is talking about. This is a news article after all, so I am sure that we are not getting Facebook' 100% thoughts.

Not to be offensive but this is a picture of a down syndrome kid at the special Olympics. I don't know about you but I know a million jokes could be said. Maybe Facebook thought that since people were alerting it that the woman intended the picture as a horrible joke?

They are obviously wrong in their thoughts but hey, its an other way of looking at it......

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRichards

It's a cruel world and those born with a handicap have to be stronger than "normal" people if they want to survive. It seems as though everyday, something else is a joke, then the government gets to play Nanny State. Bullies are getting worse, so the target is the one who has to suffer. The bullies can always find a new target.

Facadebook is playing nanny instead of just monitoring their site for abusive language and removing individual posts. It's just sheer laziness to tell this woman, basicly, to stop feeding the trolls instead of punishing the trolls.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I think it's so ironic.

We all know facebook is just personal marketing. Only the best, most attractive, coolest, hippest pics get posted.

Can't have disabled kids on there, it's too...imperfect. How hateful to the rest of us.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

You just described my high school days lol Instead of removing those that caused me problems, I was graded out 2 years in a row and wasn't given the proper education because of it.

It makes no sense. This is all in the name of SAFETY, yet they rarely ever punish those that deserve it or save the day before the problem happens.

Facebook' job is to provide a fun website for people to communicate...... It seems that they have failed in this area. You can't even try to become friends with people you don't know, without being blocked from friending. They seem to have given power to the people that abuse it, while not doing it intentionally.

The fact that people have complained about these things and Facebook has done nothing, shows me that Facebook now understands that people will use the site and deal with the crap that is given to them. Just like Comcast, BGE, all cell phone companies.... Well anything that you have to pay for. You ether pay for the worthless crap they sell or you just don't get to be cool like every one else.......

To be fair, Facebook is a FREE website. Its payed for by ads and what not. So if we want to use THEIR product, we have to go by THEIR rules.

Its just like my house. You don't like the rules? Then get the @#$% out.

I think a boycott is in order! Any one with me?!??!! Any one?!!? Some one??!!

No one??!!?

Yup that is the gist of it

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by reitze

Sad but true. I got reprimanded before for linking a petition, we are only allowed to discuss matters here, not do anything to remedy them.

15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:
i) You will not use your membership in the Websites for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

Technically the whole KONY thing was against these TOS, but was allowed to be posted for some reason.....
edit on Wed, 25 Apr 2012 18:41:52 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

Thanks for clarifying - I wasn't aware you were referencing a petition-oriented site. It makes sense now. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Well said.

Corporations cater to people's comfort. These entities have discovered that people spend more money when they're comfortable (no surprise really). This is also why movies have happy endings. Film directors learned a long time ago that people want to leave the theater in a good mood and this is the same way Facadebook works. One thing I've noticed lately is that these entities are pushing marriage lately in shows and advertisements. We all know that marriage leads to families. If a young married couple sees a handicapped child, they'll start to become scared they'll have one. So, athough our government (Facadebook is in league with them) knows that they have the most control with the fear card, sometimes fear works against their agenda. Just look at the latest news about making it mandatory for pregnant women to get tested for birth defects, then having the doctors lecture them about aborting the baby if it has a defect. It's a vicious circle and has always been there. Discrimination against and distaste for the handicap has never gone away.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
reply to post by Believer101

So you think thats what they had problems with?

You would have think they would have checked with the images first after the report. Three days ban? Something's wrong here.

Potentially, maybe. To me, that photo is nothing even close to what she apparently broke in their T&C, but it could to someone. And yes, there's something definitely wrong with this.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by reitze

Originally posted by Believer101

Originally posted by reitze

Originally posted by KillThePoor
I would think this is just a mistake on behalf of Facebook. Maybe someone who doesn't like this woman flagged the photo. I really doubt Facebook cares about this picture. It was probably some jealous or hateful user who had the image flagged and removed. Sounds like an oversight on Facebook's part. Sensationalist story and I am certainly no fan of Facebook.

I sure hope you're right. I did post it on my FB page - that went ok. But the thumbnail I posted for this pic got a fake thumbnail displayed instead. IDK maybe the news-site did something inside the image file to cause that?

Apparently this is the boy.

Also, I want to say that often such disabled individuals have trouble talking without using slang/curse words. Extra tolerance of that IS appropriate, especially for the disabled. Otherwise they become "shunned" even worse than they already experience.

Yes, that's the son who's photos were taken off. And, according to the Care2 petition (again that I can't cite because of T&C) his Downs Syndrome is so bad that he can't talk. But yes, you are right about that. I would understand if they took down a video of him, if he were able to speak, that had obscene language in it, but a photo?

I don't get it. T&C can't ref a petition? Why? What T&C section? Thanks.

It's ATS's T&C that states we can't use a petition to site information. I have a U2U about it somewhere, if I find it I'll forward it to you.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
So having Down Syndrome is a crime? Very shameful.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExploitedAliens
So having Down Syndrome is a crime? Very shameful.
Dont hate me because I am Super-Awesome

People and their hypocritical political corrective-ness.
edit on 25-4-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Facebook should not have suspended her account. It was not insensitive to post pictures of her disabled son participating in the Special Olympics. We have seen the pictures, and they were not offensive. Either this was an accident, in which case her account should be reactivated and the pictures re-posted (this could be a misunderstanding involving the large workload), or Facebook's rules are retarded and not in line with reality.
edit on 26-4-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
Facebook should not have suspended her account. It was not insensitive to post pictures of her disabled son participating in the Special Olympics. We have seen the pictures, and they were not offensive. Either this was an accident, in which case her account should be reactivated and the pictures re-posted (this could be a misunderstanding involving the large workload), or Facebook's rules are retarded and not in line with reality.
edit on 26-4-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Believer101

It might be possible that someone with an axe to grind is to blame for flagging those photos.

It could be one of her "friends" (or fiends).

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Good. I'm glad.
About time in my opinion.
Every time I go on that site I see some retarded kid or someone with cancer that I'm supposed to all of sudden care about. 50,000 likes and you could save this childs life. Hooey.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThisToiletEarth
Good. I'm glad.
About time in my opinion.
Every time I go on that site I see some retarded kid or someone with cancer that I'm supposed to all of sudden care about. 50,000 likes and you could save this childs life. Hooey.

Excuse me? She wasn't asking for "likes" or anything to "save her child's life". She wanted to share the pictures of her son at his first Special Olympics game. I could say the same to you and wish you never posted any sort of family pictures either. Goes both ways.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join