It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indoctrinating your young child with Christianity is mental child abuse.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I look at my 2 year old who is this bright shiny vessel of innocence without a care in the world and love him so. I then think to all the parents who will be planting the seeds of guilt, fear and original sin into their children not far from this age. To me this is child abuse. Children are like sponges and whatever you put into their minds stay with them for the rest of their lives. Most of the people on here are Christians because their parents did the same thing to them. The only way these fairy tales can stay alive, is to get em while they are young and their mind will believe anything. (Santa, Tooth Fairy)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Thank you.

I was 10 when my parents thought it was ok for me to watch Jesus being nailed to a cross "He did this for our sins" Me --
tears. I still love the "Oh, the earth is only 6,000 years old spiel."

edit on 25-4-2012 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
While you make a valid point, the ultimate message behind religions should be one of peace and humility, being humble and loving thy neighbor, not shame and guilt and sin. Not all religion can be clumped into a "shame your child until they believe what you tell them" mentality...

Also, your problem seems to be perception of brainwashing, but is it really anything different with anything else we teach them? We teach children how to behave in a social environment from a young age, we teach them how to speak properly and enunciate, form cognitive thought, etc...is this any different from "brainwashing" them with religion? Where do you draw the line?

Peace,
- H

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Holodomor
While you make a valid point, the ultimate message behind religions should be one of peace and humility, being humble and loving thy neighbor, not shame and guilt and sin. Not all religion can be clumped into a "shame your child until they believe what you tell them" mentality...

Also, your problem seems to be perception of brainwashing, but is it really anything different with anything else we teach them? We teach children how to behave in a social environment from a young age, we teach them how to speak properly and enunciate, form cognitive thought, etc...is this any different from "brainwashing" them with religion? Where do you draw the line?

Peace,
- H

I don't think teaching my kid how to say potato is a form of brainwashing.. maybe on a higher level of existence yes. There are things you teach your kids that are necessary to function in the world. Showing movies of Jesus dragged through the streets all bloodied and nailed to a cross is helping my kid function in the world? Teaching him that he is imperfect and that he will burn in hell if he doesn't accept that bloody cross guy is the same thing as teaching him how to say potato? come on ....

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaphneApollo

Thank you.

I was 10 when my parents thought it was ok for me to watch Jesus being nailed to a cross "He did this for our sins" Me --
tears. I still love the "Oh, the earth is only 6,000 years old spiel."

edit on 25-4-2012 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

I can't even imagine. My mom was raised catholic, but for some reason she didn't push it on me. She tried to send me to sunday school a few times, but I was in 5th grade by then and just didn't get what the hell they were talking about. It made absolutely no sense. It must be really hard to break out of it if you are taught this at a very young age.
edit on 25-4-2012 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2012 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong

Originally posted by Holodomor

Peace,
- H

I don't think teaching my kid how to say potato is a form of brainwashing.. maybe on a higher level of existence yes. There are things you teach your kids that are necessary to function in the world. Showing movies of Jesus dragged through the streets all bloodied and nailed to a cross is helping my kid function in the world? Teaching him that he is imperfect and that he will burn in hell if he doesn't accept that bloody cross guy is the same thing as teaching him how to say potato? come on ....

Would you agree that showing a child a video depicting the extinction of species such as dinosaurs as brainwashing or abuse? Its all a matter of perspective. Some people view their religion as the truth of the universe.

Do I think some people go overboard with it? Of course.

Knowledge on any level is a burden to bear for anyone of any age.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong

Most of the people on here are Christians because their parents did the same thing to them. The only way these fairy tales can stay alive, is to get em while they are young and their mind will believe anything. (Santa, Tooth Fairy)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

just because you're a brainwashed child of the secular world,

doesn't mean it's right to raise a child with no moral standards, no beliefs in anything other than themselves, and no hope

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Holodomor

What about teaching children about dinosaurs, and about evolution, and about everything taught in secular science, but also giving them a solid theological and philosophical foundation to work off of?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Iason321

but also giving them a solid theological and philosophical foundation to work off of?

A solid foundation in theology and philosophy would include teaching them about MANY different religions, ways of thinking, beliefs, and morality. It is very important.

But it is a far cry from what some of the Christians do. So many on here are so deeply entrenched in fundamentalist thinking that they don't even realize that 100 years ago their "choice" of worship was ALREADY looked at as archaic, old-fashioned, and foolish.

Anyone still preaching fear, hell-fire, and doom is pretty much backward, and willfully so.

I agree with the OP whole-heartedly. Give your children a broad exposure to the huge variety of choices, teach them the history of those faiths (or lack there-of), by all means let them know those options are available if they choose to explore one or more of them. And furthermore, if they do explore one OR MORE of them, they are free to UNCHOOSE it also, with no consequences. A person's spirituality is absolutely unique, necessarily, and their relationship with the Unseen must be built on their OWN private terms. The light is within.

No other person can flip the switch on.

Ought it to be assumed that in all men the mixture of religion with other elements should be identical? Ought it, indeed, to be assumed that the lives of all men should show identical religious elements?

In other words, is the existence of so many religious types and sects and creeds regrettable?

To these questions I answer "No" emphatically. And my reason is that I do not see how it is possible that creatures in such different positions and with such different powers as human individuals are, should have exactly the same functions and the same duties. No two of us have identical difficulties, nor should we be expected to work out identical solutions. Each, from his peculiar angle of observation, takes in a certain sphere of fact and trouble, which each must deal with in a unique manner.

William James, The Varieties of Religious Experience: A Study in Human Nature

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I think the problem stems from our education system ...The system brainwashes us threw a memory style of education ..The parents are a product from their parents educational process they received ....I think the Tragedy and Hope website is a great source to actually get a understanding as to the whys of our dumbed down society as a whole ....To see parents using the only form of educational tool they know how to ,shouldn't really surprise us ...In school the fear reward shame system is employed and well that is what we know ...John Taylor Gatto talks about it and he concluded he couldn't participate any longer and left teaching ....

Its a darn shame we are guilty of abusing our children this way but the system doesn't want thinkers and so wont develop to produce a majority of what we call sheep that are sent out to provide the fleece....Its a cruel world to be sure and there are no shortage of victims ....peace

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Well this thread's title made my eyes boggle a bit. I'm glad I wasn't taking a swig of water or I might have had a mess to clean up!

Listen, I'm not a Christian but I will stand next to anyone of them, sign in hand - it would say: "What I Teach MY Children about God is None of Your Business". So long as they go to school, socialize, and show appropriate regard for others around them - Butt Out!

I do more deprogramming of the damage our education system and television teaches our children!!! Perhaps if we integrated philosophy, cultural religious study, comparative religion, and theology into school our kids would show more creative ingenuity and a renewed empathy toward one another and the world.

But what do I know

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321

just because you're a brainwashed child of the secular world,

doesn't mean it's right to raise a child with no moral standards, no beliefs in anything other than themselves, and no hope

So a kid has to be raised Christian in order to have morals, a belief in something higher than themselves, and to find hope in this world?

Give me a break. Christianity is the last thing I'll be raising my kids with.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I hear you, loud and very clearly. I was one of those kids brainwashed into Christianity as a small child, Assemblies of God Church, Hell, Satan and Demons preached every service, my my Mom, who was so fundamental she prayed up to 5 hours a day for my soul.
Thankfully, my Grandfather faithfully answered all of my questions, and told me the truth of the matter. My Mom eventually alienated all of us kids, and moved away to an unknown location without telling any of us. She died all alone, what she wanted, I guess.

When my own children came, my wife at the time wished to take them to her Mother's church, and I agreed. When they would come home from church, they would set before me, and ask me questions on things they had heard. That way, they both heard both sides of the story, and not just one biased side alone. Neither became a Christian, as adults they know the truth about Christianity.

Is it child abuse? Depends on the flavor of Christianity they are being taught. I have been to a few Christian churches that were not of the fundamental cult mentality, and some that are.
We do not have to worry about this for much longer, more and more people every day are waking up to the brainwashing techniques used in fundamental churches.

CONVERSION is a "nice" word for BRAINWASHING and any study of brainwashing has to begin with a study of Christian revivalism in eighteenth century America. Apparently, Jonathan Edwards accidentally discovered the techniques during a religious crusade in 1735 in Northampton, Massachusetts. By inducing guilt and acute apprehension and by increasing the tension, the "sinners" attending his revival meetings would break down and completely submit. Technically, what Edwards was doing was creating conditions that wipe the brain slate clean so that the mind accepts new programming. The problem was that the new input was negative. He would tell them, "You're a sinner! You're destined for hell!"

As a result, one person committed suicide and another attempted suicide. And the neighbors of the suicidal converts related that they, too, were affected so deeply that, although they had found "eternal salvation," they were obsessed with a diabolical temptation to end their own lives.

Once a preacher, cult leader, manipulator or authority figure creates the brain phase to wipe the brain-slate clean, his subjects are wide open. New input, in the form of suggestion, can be substituted for their previous ideas. Because Edwards didn't turn his message positive until the end of the revival, many accepted the negative suggestions and acted, or desired to act, upon them.

The Battle for Your Mind: Brainwashing Techniques Being Used On The Public

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
When is religious nut jobs going to realize that Morality doesn't come from a frkin book.

"Look there is a person suffering from losing a loved one.. hmmmm wonder how should i feel about that?... OH! thats right ill refer to the holy text, that will give me the answer, along with how everything else works in the world"

Please drop the morality is from religion bs, these emotion are there from birth and understood through exprience.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by CirqueDeTruth
Well this thread's title made my eyes boggle a bit. I'm glad I wasn't taking a swig of water or I might have had a mess to clean up!

Listen, I'm not a Christian but I will stand next to anyone of them, sign in hand - it would say: "What I Teach MY Children about God is None of Your Business". So long as they go to school, socialize, and show appropriate regard for others around them - Butt Out!

I do more deprogramming of the damage our education system and television teaches our children!!! Perhaps if we integrated philosophy, cultural religious study, comparative religion, and theology into school our kids would show more creative ingenuity and a renewed empathy toward one another and the world.

But what do I know

So as long as they can socialize its fine that they live a life of fear, guilt and shame (sounds awesome). Just because people are parents it does not make them right. My parents have been pretty much wrong with every piece of advice they've given me.. I don't hold it against them though, they are just people.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Christian parents are going to raise their kids Christian but that does not mean they will turn out to be Christian ....Criminal parents will find out that even they may only get a certain percentage of their kids to follow in their foot steps ...As human beings we do have a tendency to take on certain traits and values from many different influences ...Ultimately we each decide for our selves ...I had 3 boys and you would be hard pressed to know they come from one family ...I don't know if I should think I failed or if I should have done anything different ...I do know when the 4 of us are together you have 5 or more opinions to choose from ..I like the variety to tell you the truth ...peace
edit on 25-4-2012 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by novastrike81

Basically, in a nut shell, yes.

Christ is all that is good and holy,

without Christ you're not really living, you're a walking corpse

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I see nothing at all wrong with living a life of fear of the LORD, and feeling guilt and shame over filthy sins we've committed....

I see that as a positive outlook on life, if anything, really....

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321

I see nothing at all wrong with living a life of fear of the LORD, and feeling guilt and shame over filthy sins we've committed....

I see that as a positive outlook on life, if anything, really....

I'm sure you're a really fun person to hang out with.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join