It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ego and the True Self

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
In this thread I hope to outline the Ego and True Self(and remind you of which path you follow) - which in reflection, are the same thing but through dualistic cultural bias the Ego tends to manifest itself in nefarious ways due to it's existentialist nature, whereas the True Self is then forced into withdrawal.

It is not to say, however - that the Ego MUST manifest in nefarious ways, it is just that within our societal and cultural construct in the Western world, we think everything is important besides ourselves, yet live with the misconception that placing interest in things outside of yourself makes yourself better, more powerful... stronger, more wanted, more desired. In short, the Ego tends to manifest itself in many cases, in many people, as the force of acquisition, or total loss.

The Dalai Lama was asked what surprised him the most;
he said, "Man, because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present;
the result being that he does not live in the present or the future;
he lives as if he is never going to die, and then he dies having never really lived.".

The truth is, is there's nothing more important than the one's True Self, the very essence of living. It is what we smile with, it is what we cry with, it is what we are when words alone cannot describe what is you are feeling, perceiving, being.

The Ego is the true representative of your human dialect - the Ego is the human, it is how we portray ourselves. It is us, however - the true self would never want to pick a bar room fight with the biggest guy in the bar, would it?

Possibly. I don't doubt that there's people of which their true selves are at a stage where existentialism and status mean most, or the delusion of power and control are their lives narrative - however all of those who ever ask the meaning behind life know that there's more than what power can bring.

The True self is sacred in every way, the one True Self is the very essence of you. It's bliss, it's the intuition, it's the feeling of knowing your safe, that you have no fear....

The Ego however fears the True Self, in many cases. The Ego grows so intensive to the constant pursuit of what's next that it forgets what is now, and the True Self butts it's head in from time to time and says. . .

Is this real, or is this just a ride?

-Bill Hicks

It's as though we forget who we really are. We constantly search for the human experience that is going to provide us answers, but it's not the human experience that will provide answers so to speak. It is us, having the human experience that will provide answers.

It is you, the true you, who holds the answers. The answers are inside, they have been all along and you may have just been drifting through a endless tunnel of discrepancies, trying to masquerade the true bliss which is that you are. Some of you have already discovered that you are your True Self, and for those of you - I appreciate everything you've done, because you've opened a door for the rest of us to walk through.

You, everything you know and experience and feel, is all one. It is not separate, the wants and needs you experience are merely the Ego and True Self.

The Ego is not the enemy, it is just that you may have forgotten who YOU really are. You are the truth, not the dialect that constantly pecks at you. You are one, and this world is one with you.

I know this may seem like some kind of ambiguous nonsense or encrypted babble, but for me it's the truth. Feel free to ask, add upon, deconstruct and do as you want with this thread. I suppose I just felt I needed to relay some information that seemed important to me, to you.

Also, here's something for all of those drifting deep inside of the rabbit hole, and experience fear and just want to know the true path. It helped me, so maybe it can help you.

www.holisticeducator.com...

And as always, best regards my fellow seekers of the truth.

edit on 24-4-2012 by b3l13v3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

edit on 24-4-2012 by descendedstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
The people that read this entire OP will be the ones that already know the content within it.

It's a funny conundrum this ego business. From everything I've learned thru out my life, your ego is literally the bane of your existence. It dilutes you in every way when it's in control of you. I'm talking everything. Relationships, money and your health.

Think of that great girl you didn't date because you wanted the really hot one. Think of staying at work late making overtime and then speeding home and getting a ticket. Ego makes us do irrational things without thinking of the consequences.

The worst part about ego is its programmed into us.

edit on 24-4-2012 by litterbaux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
s & f

the way i see it,

if you look at mainstream life,

its people finding ways to "feel" happy (eating, drinking, entertainment, shopping, pampering, sex)

and complaining about everything that "feels" sad or hurts (work, bills, tax, others' behavior, pain)

the ego, the "imma do me" its very emotionally and materially based and self-servient.

the true self is aware of the ego and transcends it -or succumbs to it,

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture

the true self is aware of the ego and transcends it -or succumbs to it

That's very well put. Thank you for that input.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

The truth is, is there's nothing more important than the one's True Self, the very essence of living. It is what we smile with, it is what we cry with, it is what we are when words alone cannot describe what is you are feeling, perceiving, being.

The Ego is the true representative of your human dialect - the Ego is the human, it is how we portray ourselves. It is us, however - the true self would never want to pick a bar room fight with the biggest guy in the bar, would it?

The "True Self" is what we smile and cry with but not get angry and have a bar room fight with?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

If the ego is trying to get the most for itself, why would it do irrational things without thinking of the consequences?

new topics

top topics

join