It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic Ocean leaking methane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Cracks in Arctic sea ice are leaking alarming levels of methane, a greenhouse gas far more potent than carbon dioxide, according to NASA scientists.

Link

After reading this, I certainly hope that this release of Methane in the arctic doesn't speed up too much...or we could be in a world of trouble in the future....ok maybe not us but our children sure might be!!

I wonder how long the ice caps will last? they're already melting fast enough as it is....

I guess time will tell.

Teye22

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
This reminds me of some a documentary about something similar near siberia. I can't for the life of me remember the documentary but it looks like this is one of the places this is happening

Daily mail link

from what i remember, if these go completely then the warming it will cause would be irreversable and cause drastic changes in the worlds weather and climate.
edit on 24/4/12 by LanceonW because: sentence restructuring

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
The world will get over it......
but we might not though .too bad!!

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
i think we'll see some drastic changes in our lifetime. we've pushed it too far and i don't think we can fix it now. i'm not even sure we could slow anything down.

the earth will survive but i don't know if humans can adapt fast enough.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

Its happening throughout Siberia too, nothing to cry about though, its just Mother Earth going through her cycles.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

I also think it is irreversible. If we could change everything overnight it could stop it, but that is impossible with the attitudes of the present societies. We are stuck riding this out and mankind going pretty much extinct within a hundred years. Hopefully we don't take all the other creatures with us.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Tell me this has NOTHING to do with the mad greed rush to drill in the Artic for the motherload of oil reserves. Hmmm, putting together recent headlines like the BP blowut etc. etc., I'm having a hard time not coming to this conclusion.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

We have exceeded the normal cycle's figures by a lot, The resulting correction by an ice age has nothing in geological history to compare it to. This correction could make earth look like a frozen tundra like Saturn's moon within a four hundred years after starting to ramp up.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by pasiphae
i think we'll see some drastic changes in our lifetime. we've pushed it too far and i don't think we can fix it now. i'm not even sure we could slow anything down.

the earth will survive but i don't know if humans can adapt fast enough.

I am rather hopeful myself. After all, we have survived Super Eruptions and evolved smarter. I don't deny though that it would be a vastly different world if a New Ice Age did occur.

I get a bit lost with this though to be honest. Are we saying that the extra methane will block the sun and make it colder? I always thought it would heat up the planet instead so we all got warmer?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Five Arctic flights were carried out from 2009 to 2010, venturing to latitudes of up to 82 degrees north.

Just wondering why they are only now reporting this? Perhaps we just missed it previously?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

We have exceeded the normal cycle's figures by a lot,
reply to post by rickymouse

Says who? You, or the same scientists that were caught tampering with reports, ie.. lying?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

We have exceeded the normal cycle's figures by a lot,
reply to post by rickymouse

Says who? You, or the same scientists that were caught tampering with reports, ie.. lying?

I tend to agree with you. My trust in anything they tell me has been severly damaged and I find it very difficult to believe anything anymore.

Nothing really seems to be what they try to make out, and it is is impossible to just believe....

Hence, my question, why do we only now get to hear of this?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

I don't know how real PBS shows information is but our CO2 levels were presently at about 394 PPM and the historical turning point to an ice age was 280 PPM in fossil records. If they are interpreting this evidence even anywhere close to right it means the planet has entered uncharted territory. I have not read many of the uninterpreted research articles but think their interpretations are correct about the weather patterns changing being a large part of human cause. Human beings actions only effect about five to six percent of the global environment but that is within the tipping point of our environment. We can supply the straw that broke the camel's back you would say. Life on earth needs a narrow band to exist. Man's present neglect is causing things to go outside that band. The Earth responds slow, I predict we are dealing with things that are from about forty years ago. Lots has happened since then.

I am looking at overall world pollution, not regional. The mistake made by our government exporting jobs backfired. We are still the major consumer and buy more now because it's affordable to all people here. We are still causing the most pollution by consuming much more. This is taken into consideration by the world's leaders.

Anyone that thinks that man can't destroy all life on this planet is not rational. We worry about Japans damaged power plants causing a lot of harm. That is just three or four. What would happen if thirty or more were effected at the same time. That is extremely possible, I am not getting crazy. Extreme plate movement near the ring of fire could screw up the plates all over the place. The earthquakes and tsunamis wouldn't kill us all off but the damage to these nuclear power plants could screw up mankind and our food chain.

I tend to be a realist, seeing that we have created too many weak points for disasters. I'm not worrying about cutting a few trees down but am concerned about deforestation on any base. We can selectively cut our forests to get lumber for building without clearcutting, we have equipment to do this well. The risk we have incorporated in our societies just to create an easy life we do not really deserve is the major problem. I do not hate technology or progression of knowledge. I hate waste and unnecessary risk to our environment. A billion people may think I am wrong because what I say interferes with their lifestyle and desires. A billion people can see things the same way and still be wrong though.

I can't change any of what's going on and can only say what I see. My comments won't change anyone's mind if they aren't already thinking of this themselves. It just reinforces peoples insight. What will it take to prove to people that our disrespect to this world is hurting it. It's not just the CO2, it's many things all happening at the same time.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LanceonW
This reminds me of some a documentary about something similar near siberia. I can't for the life of me remember the documentary but it looks like this is one of the places this is happening

Daily mail link

from what i remember, if these go completely then the warming it will cause would be irreversable and cause drastic changes in the worlds weather and climate.
edit on 24/4/12 by LanceonW because: sentence restructuring

i saw a number of shows and documentaries that talked about this. i remember them saying it wasnt good at all.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by UnlimitedSky

The reason we are only now hearing about this is because all the governments were guilty of neglecting the people that were trying to say slow down. Now that the proof is starting to roll in they are trying to pass the buck. I don't think it's possible to change the pattern anymore. Our forefathers were pretty destructive of their environment and killed things off to extinction but never affected the planet as much as we have in the last sixty years.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I have to agree with most posts here, that it is too late to prevent this. I believe our planet is heading for another Ice Age...when??? who knows? but it sure looks like its under way...

I also think that Mother Earth will live on, but if WE do...there probably wont be a whole lot of us left to talk about it.

Untill then, life must go on!!

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I have two sources for you to look at and ponder over,I will not post them,just give you the links.

www.sciencedaily.com...
I would suggest looking over this site for plenty of info that has been known for awhile.
The eggs are in the basket,so to speak.

co2science.org...

Peace
edit on 24-4-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Would it be safe to say that if our upper atmosphere got higher concentrations of methane in it that it would not be advisable to fly a rocket through it?
Just a thought.
So much for the worlds space program

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by kdog1982

Would it be safe to say that if our upper atmosphere got higher concentrations of methane in it that it would not be advisable to fly a rocket through it?
Just a thought.
So much for the worlds space program

Actually, according to what I have read, methane is only flammable between 5-15% concentration. At one point though, we probably will reach the ideal conditions for this to happen.

source

Let's hope it never get that far though.

new topics

top topics

join