It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God is not omnipotent

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rain King

We simply cannot attempt to comprehend a divine being with our crude logic. God is an omnipitant, all-powerful being, and no amount of reason (and very poor reason at that) can decipher his existance.

This concept is very true given that the premises of "God" or a "divine being" are true, i.e. "He" exists.

Originally posted by drbryankkruta
What point would there be in creating a creature for you to receive its love and admiration both of which are unique to the free will of the spirit and cant be immulated by a mindless robot for example your computer can be taught to tell you it loves you but were is the love not in the computer for the computer has no grasp of its actions just perameters that you put into it to make it do what you want.

drbryankkruta, I thought we had already gone over this idea of "genuine love" proving that your idea of God being omnipotent cannot be, given the fact that all-knowing lies inside the definition of omnipotent. If his knowledge of "genuine love" changes upon receiving this type of love, then omnipotence isn't possible.

Also, if your free-will is truly yours and your God doesn't own your free-will then I guess he is outside of the definition of omnipotence; for if he truly was omnipotent, there would be no reason for anything except for himself (and that is a philosophical topic all to itself) to exist. So I guess you're opening question is right..."what point would there be"?

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Howard the Dolphin

Originally posted by Rain King

We simply cannot attempt to comprehend a divine being with our crude logic. God is an omnipitant, all-powerful being, and no amount of reason (and very poor reason at that) can decipher his existance.

This concept is very true given that the premises of "God" or a "divine being" are true, i.e. "He" exists.

Originally posted by drbryankkruta
What point would there be in creating a creature for you to receive its love and admiration both of which are unique to the free will of the spirit and cant be immulated by a mindless robot for example your computer can be taught to tell you it loves you but were is the love not in the computer for the computer has no grasp of its actions just perameters that you put into it to make it do what you want.

drbryankkruta, I thought we had already gone over this idea of "genuine love" proving that your idea of God being omnipotent cannot be, given the fact that all-knowing lies inside the definition of omnipotent. If his knowledge of "genuine love" changes upon receiving this type of love, then omnipotence isn't possible.

Also, if your free-will is truly yours and your God doesn't own your free-will then I guess he is outside of the definition of omnipotence; for if he truly was omnipotent, there would be no reason for anything except for himself (and that is a philosophical topic all to itself) to exist. So I guess you're opening question is right..."what point would there be"?

God as you depict him is a being who has created us as toys then....why should we exist.....in fact we were created in response to a previous version the angels were the original model and they were independant in their will otherwise why would Lucifer the angel know as Son of the Morning betrayed God and now is cast out of heaven. Free will has always been the absolute in all of Gods creations and I dont think the subject of obnipotence is that black and white you said it yourself how can we analize and make sinse of God or his obnipotence you are relating to it from a human view of the word the Bible repeatedly states that man has a free choice for example you have the choice to be covered and saved by the blood of Jesus and get your name in the book of life or you can chose to follow satan and get the second death punishment......it would do you good to reveiw it i bet you will find more than probably 500 reference to free will in one way or another are depicted in the Bible and some even as Jesus walked the earth he witnessed these free wills making mistakes first hand....look for example to the prostitute she had chosen to be a prostitute realizing that the words and actions of Jesus were just and true fell down and asked for forgivness and cleaned the feet of Jesus with her own tears and hair and then anointed the same feet with her purfume....another example the tax collector who gave back this taxes plus some to all the people he collected from in Jesus's presence and to repent for his sins dont you think that was a choice you do know that man was probably in deep deep doooo doooo over having given those taxes away and even more so because the fact the taxes werent his but belonged to Rome's Empire.....tell me that would piss in your post toasties if you man gave your money away ....it's all about free will plain an simple God wont force us to do good we must decide to do the good

OOOOHHH ONE MORE THING IF WE DONT HAVE A CHOICE THEN WHY DID JESUS DIE FOR OUR FREE WILL MADE SINS.....WHY NOT JUST MAKE NO SIN

[edit on 30/9/04 by drbryankkruta]

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Everything you have said can be credited to one source; the canonized scripture known as the Bible. This, I can confidently say, is not a "credible" source, especially when taken with absolute literacy (leaving the grain of salt in the shaker).

Once you have read up on the Gnostic texts, then and only then, you can preach to me all you want about what/who Jesus really was/is and what he truely was teaching. Then you can tell me what he would say about how the Church has handled itself over the past 2000 years.

Just because some pompous, controlling church officials gathered as the Counsel of Nicaea circa 325 CE and decided which gospels were going to be canonized and of those gospels which ones were going to be edited for content that contradicted the Church's agenda doesn't make their political rulebook (the Bible) the true law presiding over mankind.

Blindly follow whatever you want, but I hope you know that "deny ignorance" is the cry you should find yourself waking up to, nothing else.

<< 1   >>

join