It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans love conflict

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Since I can't find a Human Nature Category I'll have to settle for being philosophical on this. Under the Entertainment section of CNN.com there is an article entitled: Gotye thinks 'Glee' botched his song.
www.cnn.com...

It's a beautiful song and it is done well by Goyte AND by Glee. But, JEEZ, if we can create conflict over a song, what chance do we have as a species? What chance do we have of resolving major life altering and life threatening issues if we are so willing to argue about everythng? About a SONG?

How and when did we become so pugnacious? Is it in our genes? I've reached a point in my life (through way too many uncomfortable experiences) where I don't want to know anyone on a deeply personal level. Even if I really click with someone, I know that sooner or later I am going to see a side of them I find unacceptable, even to the point of intolerable.

What is the answer? IS there an answer?

To show how this man, Goyte, didn't have anything to complain about, I will post his music clip, and the Glee one in the next post. I find them both very entertaining, so you tell me if you think one clip is better than the other, and do you believe Goyte is justified in his thinking?

Here's his:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

And here's the Glee version:
I think both are great.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Don't confuse human nature with clever marketing and publicity.
You are the one showing ignorance cause you brought into it.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I think it comes down to protecting identity. Conflict arises when identity is threatened, and people tend to take other peoples opinions and beliefs as an attack on their own opinions and beliefs for whatever reason. Some people believe they are their identity, and any attack on their identity and credibility as a human being is an attack on their existence.

When Glee regurgitates a song, it also regurgitates the original artists identity that is attached to it. The original artist feels his work is cheapened, and thus his identity tarnished. I believe the foo-fighters refused to allow their song on the show for this very reason.

I do think there is a solution: I believe if people shifted away from absolutism, and adapted a more probability-based approach to their language and conversation, maybe people wouldn't feel so offended by otherwise trivial opinions.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gaddafi
reply to post by jiggerj

Don't confuse human nature with clever marketing and publicity.
You are the one showing ignorance cause you brought into it.

Actually, it's not by ignorance. LOL I love the song and wanted to share it with people.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
When Glee regurgitates a song, it also regurgitates the original artists identity that is attached to it. The original artist feels his work is cheapened, and thus his identity tarnished.

But, doesn't Glee have to ask permission (and pay big bucks) to the artist in order to use their song? If what you say is true, then this Goyte should be happy that he feels his version is better.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I can understand why he feels wronged by Glee doing it in a manner that he feels is subpar, but he basically signed away his right to bitch about it by letting them do it in the first place. At this point it is crying over spilt milk.

I think that the thesis of the thread that humans enjoy conflict is very true in a number of cases. I think it has do to with the fact that we still have more monkey in us that we would like to admit.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

And why do we love the underdog so much? Here is a clip of a 17 year old, severely obese male that, at first, we want him booed off the stage - until he starts singing. Instantly, he won my heart, and the hearts of the judges and everyone in the audience. Is there a lesson to be learned from this?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Humans don't love conflict.. Ego Loves Conflict. Transcend your ego.. No conflict.. That Simple

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buddha1098
reply to post by jiggerj

Humans don't love conflict.. Ego Loves Conflict. Transcend your ego.. No conflict.. That Simple

There's only one problem with such thinking; if the world is to be made into a better place then all 7 billion of us have to 'transcend our ego'. And that's just not going to happen. I know too many that can't think anything beyond, booze n' broads. And that is truly sad.

top topics

join