It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Lear's final post, from fantasticforum.com:

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
From Lear:

"I just realized that I was spending far too little time with my family, especially my grandson pursuing subjects of fruitless and pointless speculation. I feel that for too long I have been mislead about the subject of UFO's and aliens which I now know do not exist in any form other than wild imagination. This will be my last post here on the FF on UFO's or any related subject and my good friends will not email, pm, bother me or speculate on this matter because the truth is I was wrong and open speculation will only cause me further embarrassment"

John Lear

Another Galileo Galilei moment?

Here's what the idiots in "power" did to Galileo in the 17th century:
brunelleschi.imss.fi.it...

Here's what the same idiots in "power" did to Giordano Bruno:
www.blupete.com...

All because of what these two scientists believed.

[edit on 29-9-2004 by evilution]

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Or he realized his story has more holes in it than swiss cheese?

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Wow. That is crazy. All these years of insisting his wild stories were truth, and he just decides he was wrong. This whole time. Just a simple post and he's done.

Note: I suggest reading this for some more information on Lear. It's a good read.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
But all of a sudden he knows as fact that aliens do not exist in any form other than wild imagination? Uhh, uhh!

One of the biggest threat to maintaining UFO secrecy is the internet, where there is a free flow of uncensored info, whether it be factual or fictitious (u be the judge).

[edit on 28-9-2004 by evilution]

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by evilution
But all of a sudden he knows as fact that aliens do not exist in any form other than wild imagination? Uhh, uhh!

No, it was probably brewing in his mind for a while. He finally just reached the climax and decided "Eff it, this isn't worth my time."

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
OR-Perhaps he was paid a special visit or phone call?Not saying what he said is or is not the truth,but a flip flop like that seems a little bizzare.Only he knows for sure IMO.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by evilution
Another Galileo Galilei moment?

Hmmmmm?

Could it be, that he actually knew the truth, and he was "asked" by the "invisible government" to cease his "distribution" of "forbidden knowledge?"

Think about it. What were my first few postings? Visible government and "invisible government" propaganda.

Just a thought..........Hmmmmm?

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11thdimension
OR-Perhaps he was paid a special visit or phone call?Not saying what he said is or is not the truth,but a flip flop like that seems a little bizzare.Only he knows for sure IMO.

If anything, Lear's position and story have gotten weaker over the years, not stronger. I can't see an entity (government or alien) failing to silence him a decade ago yet choosing to do so now. He's well out of his prime as a figure in the UFO world.

corrected for spelling.

[edit on 9-27-2004 by Esoterica]

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   

"I just realized that I was spending far too little time with my family, especially my grandson pursuing subjects of fruitless and pointless speculation. I feel that for too long I have been mislead about the subject of UFO's and aliens which I now know do not exist in any form other than wild imagination. This will be my last post here on the FF on UFO's or any related subject and my good friends will not email, pm, bother me or speculate on this matter because the truth is I was wrong and open speculation will only cause me further embaressment"

Best regards,The Government.

[edit on 27-9-2004 by beer]

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I'm a newbie in this field, but I'll say it anyways: despite what some, or perhaps many, people may think of John, I feel great personal loss by this news, of his "apparent" retirement from active duty as a leader in this field. I may not've believed everything he claimed, but I certainly felt compelled, for whatever reasons, to believe much; or, at least, wanting to believe. And that "want" created in me a "receptive" or open mind ( maybe heart, too). And for that, which is great in itself, I will forever be in his debt; for it is absolutely imperative to cultivate "openness" or receptivity, or we shall never know the "truth". This is fundamental, I believe.

John, if you happen to see this, I want to genuinely thank you for putting your life on the line ( and your family's, as well, I might add), to bring us the "truth", as unbelievable as it might appear, on occasion. As I said, I'm a newbie on this path, but if I had one wish, I suppose it might be that you'd remain active in this field a little while longer, to focus your energies on developing and teaching "defensive" strategies; to help prepare us for "the great day of armegeddon". I bet I could learn a thing or two from you on et "survival" tactics. Without question, I think the field and troops were better off with you taking an active lead on the front lines of battle. May you and your family enjoy your retirement, in good health, and with great length of days. Give your grand-son a big hug from us all !!

[edit on 27-9-2004 by Grail_Hunter]

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Agree Grail Hunter.John is one of the most interesting personalities out there right now in the Ufology circles IMO.Even those who disagreed with what he said always tuned in to his posts to see WHAT he had to say,because it is always colorful.I appreciate everything he shared with us,and hope he'll be back someday.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   

If anything, Lear's position and story have gotten weaker over the years, not stronger. I can't see an entity (government or alien) failing to silence him a decade ago yet choosing to do so now. He's well out of his prime as a figure in the UFO world.

I have to agree...but,

I can see him just walking away from it all...that much makes sense. But to state that a topic which has consumed years of your life, is automatically not valid? Despite his rather outlandish theories, he's STILL seen enough to know there is something to all of this. I guess that's what I find oddest of all. Then again, I suppose leaving mysteriously at least sets the groundwork if a comeback is desired...

Weird, weird, weird.....

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
While he was posting on the guest speaker thread I kept wondering why the members of ATS (who for the most part seem to be intelligent critical persons) were giving this guy the time of day. I had not heard of him prior to his appearence here and the research I did on his "theroies" led me to conclude that he was mentally deranged. Why he was given any credibillity in the first place is beyond me (I do understand that his record setting flights were worthy accomplishments but really does the abillity to fly a plane confer any additional worth to a persons statements beyond what they can prove?) My judgement was that he was basically an attention starved indvdual who allied hmself with other attenton starved indivduals. Perhaps this was merley a way of admitting that it was all in his head?

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
While he was posting on the guest speaker thread I kept wondering why the members of ATS were giving this guy the time of day. ... he was mentally deranged. Why he was given any credibillity in the first place is beyond me

I agree with this poster. I figured folks were smarter than to fall for
any of the obvious bunk he was peddling. Perhaps Lear just got his
jollies by seeing how far he could go and get people to believe him???
He has been debunked over and over. Perhaps he has embarrassed
himself once too often and now he is hiding in his spider hole.

No government cover up here. Just a guy who got tired of being stupid
in public (or he has been debunked enough that his funds are drying up).

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Whatever the reason for this sudden turnaround by mr Lear, it seems to me that he opens himself up to even more ridicule by saying it was all fiction. Then again, this may very well be the most effective manner in which to pull away from the whole thing once and for all.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   

While he was posting on the guest speaker thread I kept wondering why the members of ATS (who for the most part seem to be intelligent critical persons) were giving this guy the time of day.

It was simple manners. If we were to sit there and assassinate everything he said, do you think he'd still participate? Maybe you haven't heard of him, but I guarantee you that the alien fanatics (myself included) certainly have and were thrilled to have him here.

Does that mean we believe his theories? Hell no! But can we politely allow him to speak? Sure, not so much to ask...

You're seeing the same thing with our current speaker....whose claims make JL's seem sane..

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Gazrock I understand that he was something of a celebrity in the Ufology field. My question is why weren't any of his more fantastic claims looked at with the same scepticism as say the claims of George Bush in the run up to the iraq war?
For example his claim of mile long domes on the moon?
It just seems to me that if this site is here to deny ignorance then we must be harder on those with the most wild claims.

[edit on 28-9-2004 by mwm1331]

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Durden
Whatever the reason for this sudden turnaround by mr Lear, it seems to me that he opens himself up to even more ridicule by saying it was all fiction. Then again, this may very well be the most effective manner in which to pull away from the whole thing once and for all.

Open him up to more ridicule.... more than he's already gotten?

I was always surprised (as many have been) that he was given any credibility, particularly since his stories (like that inanity about Alaska) could be so easily checked and debunked.

I think it's to the UFO community's shame that they weren't a little more skeptical.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   

My question is why weren't any of his more fantastic claims looked at with the same scepticism as say the claims of George Bush in the run up to the iraq war?
For example his claim of mile long domes on the moon?

He already answered, he has no proof.

Why ask a question when you know the answer?

It'd go like this...

Q:What about your claim of mile long domes on the moon?
A: I have no proof, as I have stated...

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
But gazrock that is my entire point. If any of us, the members of this forum, were to make that same claim we would be blasted for the lack of proof, yet we allow it to slide because hes semi-famous?
Why did no one bring up the fact that if his claims were true there are a number of earth based telescopes that could have confirmed or denied them?
I guess what i am trying to say is that if we do not hold these guest speakers to the same standards we hold each other to, then these guest forums would seem to be nothing more than free publicity for these people.
Shouldn't the fact that these guests are supposed experts, or at the very least high profile personalities in fields that we all have an interest in demand a higher standard from them?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join