It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mayan Can't Predict The End of The World

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Here's a question for you guys. Riddle me this....

If the Mayans couldn't predict the end of their own civilization, how then can they predict the end of the world?

It just seems to me that if they could accurately predict the end of the world then they could've predicted the end of their civilization.

Or anything else for that matter.

In fact, have they ever been able to predict anything else besides the end of the world? For example, did they predict the election and the assassination of JFK?

If they can't predict anything else, then why would they be able to predict the end of the world?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
You are assuming they had a magic crystal sphere where they cuold see the future. Afaik, they just "predicted" celestial movements which can be related to Earth's events

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

The Mayans was not predicting the future, they were trying to explain when the solar system reaches the end and bounces back.

Scientist always wanted know if the solor system had an end, you will find out that Theodora system bounces back every 300,000 years.

When it happens every thing on earth will lose gravity and every thing besides the pyramids will go into space.. every thing except the pyramids.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

If the Mayans couldn't predict the end of their own civilization, how then can they predict the end of the world?

It just seems to me that if they could accurately predict the end of the world then they could've predicted the end of their civilization.

In fact, have they ever been able to predict anything else besides the end of the world? For example, did they predict the election and the assassination of JFK?

If they can't predict anything else, then why would they be able to predict the end of the world?

1. Where did the Mayans make claim that it was the end of the world?
2. The Mayans were 'keepers of time', not necessarily professors of prophecy... that's not to say that one didn't lead to the other, but I think their ability to measure time is to be the focus.
3. The scales in which they used to determine time and events weren't necessarily small enough, nor addressed particular civilizations as to being able to accurately predict their collapse
4. Yes they predicted the death of JFK, they knew there would be a shooter in the grass, and that it was an 'inside job'.

Maybe the Mayans had a higher understanding as to the events of the cosmos and the relationship with Earth. Maybe the fall of their civilization wasn't of grave concern, and they had a deeper understanding of how things work. Any action to the contrary of what events time will bring, will only be conducive towards unhappiness and failure. Maybe they embraced the idea, in knowing there was nothing that could be done to avoid it.

Maybe....

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Ever heard of the Mayan who won the lotto?

Exactly, because they couldnt predict #.

Jokes aside, I doubt they had predictions about everything though. It's not like history remembers them as a people full of prophets, sages and wizards. No. They were simply given knowledge from the star gods with which they have made a silly little calendar that has now become a point of major contention.

So,again no, just becuase they didnt predict the JFK assassination does not make it a hoax. It doesnt make them right either. Thats the beauty of it. You never know.

So that begs the question; What do you do? Do you start prepping, or just go on with your daily life, hoping for the best?

IMO, this will become a self-fulfilling prophecy that has been harped on by the MSM and sadly, one that can be taken advantage of without muh effort.

Y2K was a test, to see how we would react to an end of the world scare. Just watch 2012, mass hysteria for no good reason guaranteed.

Fluit, fluit...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

edit on 21-4-2012 by Monkeygod333 because: because

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

The Mayans didn't. It end of the worlders who are claiming that they did.

I personally don't believe it myself.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Think out side the box.... and maya did not say that the world would end on 2012 dec 21 thats just when their calender ended and starts over. The calendar will be leading us into the age of Aquarius.... Now that we got that out of the way.........

Lets say they did predict the end of the world on 2012 dec 21'st. We know that they wear HIGHLY intelligent of cycles in space. They knew of planets and other galaxy's 1000's of years ahead of the world. They have predicted comets astriods and other space anomaly's 1000's of years in the future. At the moment we cant. The solar system moves as well as the entire milky way galaxy. So maybe they knew of a time when our solar system or galaxy would move into a large amount of space gas or asteroids and we would be destroyed. With that being said think out side box....

Keep in mind on December 21st earth will be in alignment with the center of our Galaxy's black hole. Our galaxy is a disk, right now earth is right above the

A black hole is one of the most powerful force known to man. I wonder how it will effect the earth. If we wear in a galaxy with out a black the gravitational field would change. Where we are in the Galaxy and where the Galaxy is in space effects us tremendously.

I do not think it was a coincidence that the mayan, who wear highly skilled in astronomy made their calendar end right on the day that the earth reaches the galactic plane.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
It wasn't just the Mayans that came up with that date either.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
The "Mayan Calendar" didn't originate with the Mayans, and the same information can be found in the prophecies and folklore of countless ancient tribes and civilizations. There is extensive evidence that it all came from a common source - Atlantis. There are a ton of books out there on this - I suggest reading up on this subject if it interests you.
edit on 21-4-2012 by SimontheMagus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I will add....

If the mayan cant predict the end of the world, then you cant predict what is false prophecy

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Wow, who ever said ATS members werent a civilized bunch.

Well there you go Evil Sadam Clone.
Dont say we never gave you nothing.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

Yay! Another challenger has emerged. Provide proof that other civilizations made reference to December 21, 2012. I'm not looking for the word of some New Age author. I'm looking for direct quotes of prophecies that make direct mention of 2012. So far I have posed this challenge to many and none have stepped forward with actual evidence for the claim. Most never respond and never make reference to the claim again. A few say that they're working on a thread that will provide proof but that thread never emerges and they never make reference to the claims again. So will you fall into one of the two pre-established camps or will you actually be able to do what no one else has been able to do?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

The problem here is the connection between the two ideas. There isn't one.

Rather then go into the reasons why the Maya disc doesn't speak to the "end" of anything, but the beginning, I'll observe the biggest flaw in your idea: Who says they didn't predict the day in which they'd leave the earth plane experience?

Did it ever occur to you that they might not have left that information in a written record? Did it ever occur to you that they came to the earth plane for a limited amount of time and there was no reason to record what was obvious to them - they were leaving at xyz date and everyone knew it? Did it ever occur to you they did record it but: a. you can't read what they said, or b. it was destroyed?

Did it ever occur to you that the limited things you know about the past is NOT a complete picture by any stretch of the imagination. If I took three days worth of "texts" from your cell phone would that be more then enough to reach a full and complete conclusion about your entire life?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Okay it looks like that there are going to be a number of posts in here that need to be replied to. In response to your OP, many claim that the Long Count tracked celestial movements and this is how they were able to predict the End of the World. Of course these same people will mention some ambiguous prophecy associated with the Long Count that never gets produced no matter how many times you ask. This claim also relies on the belief that the Long Count is cyclical. It's not. Now let's ignore facts for a second and say that the Long Count does repeat every 14 baktuns. This relates to a 5100 year cycle. As far as I know no researcher has ever hypothesized a 5100 year celestial cycle that ties to some catastrophic event. This also ignores the fact that human civilization has been in existence for over 6,000 years. If some major celestial event occurred only a thousand years into its evolution its very likely we would still be trying to get back out of the Stone Age. Instead we have a clear progression of civilization with no breaks.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

This post ignores basic astronomy, astrology, and Mayanism. Once again, if the Long Count were a cycle it would take 5100 years for the cycle to complete and start over. The precession of the equinoxes, the phenomenon that determines which astrological sign we are in, is a 26,000 year cycle. So the Long Count cannot be tied into this cycle. Now depending on which astrologer you ask there are either 12 or 13 signs in the Zodiac. Now let's go with the traditional 12 signs and let's assume we are in each one for an equal amount of time. This means we are in each sign for 2167 years. Once again this number has nothing to do with the Long Count. So therefore the Age of Aquarius is in no way tied into 2012. In fact if you look into claims regarding the Age of Aquarius it is only fairly recently (read: after 2012 theories became a cash cow) that people started associating it with 2012. If you look at leading astrology researchers (apparently these exist) they don't associate the start of the Age of Aquarius with 2012 in any way.

Next you make many false claims regarding the Mayas' knowledge of the cosmos. They did not know of galaxies or extrasolar planets. They didn't even know about any planets that couldn't be seen with the naked eye. They didn't even have an accurate measurement for the length of a year. While the astronomical capabilities of the Maya were amazing for the time their knowledge an accuracy pales in comparison to what we know today.

Finally we come to the ever popular claim regarding the galactic plane. The truth is that we last left the galactic plane 3 million years ago. This means it will be another 27-37 million years before we enter it again. However, considering the dimensions of the galactic plane are ambiguous at best it is impossible to determine the exact date on which we'll enter it. Throw in the fact that it takes thousands of years to cross and it becomes quite silly to believe that anyone would try to connect the galactic plane with a single day, let alone a single year.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SimontheMagus

The farthest back the Long Count potentially goes is to the Toltecs. Of course there is no hidden knowledge that went into the construction of the Long Count nor is its purpose arcane in anyway. In order to understand the Long Count you must first understand the basic Mayan calendar system. The Maya primarily used two calendars. First was the haab which consisted of 365-days and measured the Earth's orbit around the Sun. The other calendar was the tzolkin. This was a 260-day calendar that determined when religious ceremonies would be performed. Used in conjunction these two calendars produced a 52-year cycle known as the Calendar Round. Now the Maya had no means to refer to dates that fell outside the current CR. This is where the Long Count comes in. It allowed the Maya to refer to dates that fell outside this 52-year cycle. That's it's entire purpose and once you realize this it becomes quite apparent that there would be no reason for it to repeat. In truth the Long Count wasn't even really a calendar. There isn't an inscription somewhere that keeps track of every single Long Count date. It's also worth pointing out that the Long Count wasn't even a universal convention among the Maya. For example the Yucatec Maya have never had a tradition of using the Long Count.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
832626/pg1#pid13955442]post by Xcalibur254[/url]

I didn't come here to be challenged. I've done nearly 10 years of research on this topic. Now, I can't prove to you that there are any connections between the Mayans, Aztecs, Incas, Hopi Indians, Pueblos, Hindus, Zulu, Sumerian, Quero, Essene, Izapa, Egyptians, Cherokees, Maoris, Dogons, and a few others.

These civilizations had no connections with eachother and lived vast distances apart from one another. It was simply given to them and that's where I believe the Gods come in, and yes I do believe in them.

I'm not here to prove anything to anyone, because I can't. I only know what I feel, deep inside of me coming in terms with my 6th sense. My sixth sense sparked, ever since I first heard about the date Decemeber 21, 2012 and with 10 years worth of research I only became more convinced. Sorry, I cannot provide the proof which you seek for but I can assure you, something big is going to happen.

We are liviing in very important times indeed and I've been waiting 10 years for this day to come. Whether it ends good, or bad, I'm proud to say I'm not afraid to die and I'm actually looking forward to it. This world needs a clensing and is long overdue for one.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

The list of civilizations looks familiar. As in it's the exact list of civilizations that is posted on another message board that doesn't provide any sources for their claims. I've actually tried to run down the "prophecies" these civilizations had. Out of those that actually exist (which are few) none of them actually tie into 2012. Let me lay out some examples. The claim regarding the Hindus is that Kali Yuga ends (I've also seen some people crazily claim that Kali Yuga begins) on December 21, 2012. Now if you actually read what the experts, both academic and spiritual, on Hindu mythology say regarding the Yugas not a single one associates them with 2012. This is once again another claim that New Age authors have created to cash in on the 2012 fad. Another example from your list are the Aztecs. The prophecy people try to associate with 2012 is the Fifth Sun prophecy (they also try to claim this is a Mayan prophecy which is untrue). Now the Fifth Sun prophecy has no date associated with it. It would also be odd that such a prophecy would mention a date associated with the Long Count when they had no tradition of the Long Count. Instead they used a Calendar Round system. Fun fact: the next Calendar Round ends in 2027.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Can you explain how there is a force that is so strong it will all the sudden start effecting us on the 21st, but there's no noticeable buildup?

I\A black hole at the center of the galaxy is NOT going to effect Earth.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

maybe they didnt make their calender at all. Maybe it was given to them. Obviously the calender started before the Maya's.

The End is the End. Time to get over it, Or get it over

top topics

<<   2 >>

join