It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mayan Can't Predict The End of The World

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Interesting. You seem quite knowledgeable but my only problem is that you mentioned that the Mayans didn't even have an accruate measurement for the legnth of a year. And from what I rememebred their legnth of year was moe accruate than ours. So which brings me to my next point, what made you think they didin't have an accruate knowledge of the length of year?

When I did my research throughout the 10 years, I never once made any documentations and I wish I had. I might consider getting back into it again. I have trouble remembering things due to my ADD/ADHD and I think it would be a good idea to actually do more research on this topic with documentation files on my hard drive so I can share my research with ATS in the future.

You seem quite smart and, judging by how fast you are replying to messages on here you also seem to have a pretty good memory. Now I can't quite be sure just how much you said is actually "true" since you actually tried to discredit the Mayans accruancy and knowledge of the cosmos by saying they didn't have accruate knowledge of the legnth of year, when infact their knowledge was far better than ours and that was thousands of years ago and they only had their eyes to use in order to understand the cosmos.

Anyways, while we're at it; I'd like to hear what you think about the Cyrstal Skulls due to your vast memory and knowledge on this topic. I'd actually like to hear what you have to say about it, truth is; I didn't do much research into the Cyrstal Skulls until somebody mentioned it to me earlier this year and I was quite suprised I never came accross that subject during my 10 years of research. Or, maybe I just forgot about it? Guess I'll never know because like I said, I have a rather bad memory.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xieon
Can you explain how there is a force that is so strong it will all the sudden start effecting us on the 21st, but there's no noticeable buildup?

I\A black hole at the center of the galaxy is NOT going to effect Earth.

Well from what I remember reading about while doing my research, as we get closer to the Decemeber 21, 2012 date there are going to be more changes occuring such as;

Increased Global Warming
Increased Earthquakes
Increased Tsunamis
Increased Severe Weather
Possible Supervolvano Eruptions
Possible Magnetic Pole Reversal
Possible "Planet-X"Passing
Increased Solar/Gamma Storms

Source Information

This should be a good read for those who are interested.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

From my understanding, and research. The Mayan's did not say the world was going to end. Its people who are making that BIG leap. Mayan 2012 is as simple as this.. An end of an Age. We will be moving into a new age.
The water bearer. Hence is why you see the dragon on the codex spewing water from its mouth..
It is ushering in the age of Aquarius. Its scholars and other folks who make that BIG leap that the Mayans are predicting a huge flood or what not. So many times, things are taken out of context, and leaps are made by those looking to make some personal advances in their lives, or seem important that they could figure out something as epic as the end of the world!

Mayan's only predicted the end of PIECES, and the start of Aquarius. In an astronomical sense.

---Off topic--- As these people did not have our modern curse. They had real skills, and true crafting skills, and had nothing better to do than master such skills.. Skills we have totally lost touch with in many aspects.
While we may be "modern". Our society has lost so much knowledge, and so many skill sets that it makes me wonder.. Just how advanced are we really? We have the internet, and other such things.. But in truth, I would take being a true craftsman over being a modern man, any day of the week.
As being "modern" has taken its toll on our skill sets.. And we look back at these people and wonder, how did they do that? We as modern folks do not seem to realize, these people had nothing but time on their hands to perfect anything they did with great skill! Skill that is rarely seen in this day and age, and I do mean RARE!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
they never did predict the end of anything other than cycles and ages

including when man went from being made out of wood to being made out of amber

edit on 21-4-2012 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
An opposing question to the OP:

Who ever said the Mayan Civilization ended?

Maybe they packed up and left on the first ship off this rock?

Which, is what I am hoping for on 12-21-12 -- the mother ship to get me the heck off this insane planet.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

To answer your question regarding the length of the Mayan year one simply has to look at the way the Haab is designed. With the Haab, which is the Mayan solar calendar, the Mayans had 12 months each made up of thirty days. This gives you 360 days. Then at the end of every year they would tack on five unnamed days. This gives you an even 365 days with no means to correct for the fact that a year is slightly longer than 365 days. This information can be found in pretty much any academic text regarding the Maya. The claim that the Maya had a more accurate calendar than us comes from the same New Age charlatans that started this whole 2012 nonsense. Ask yourself a question, from all your research have you ever actually seen someone prove the claim that the Long Count ends in 2012?

As for a the Crystal Skulls I haven't really done much research into them but from what I have found is that for the most part they are modern day creations. Everything Crystal Skulls related can be traced back to the Mitchell-Hedges skull. We know that Mitchell-Hedges, despite claiming to have discovered the skull in the 1920s, never makes mention of it in his journals until the 1940s. This entry shortly followed an auction at Sotheby's where a skull with the exact measurements of the Mitchell-Hedges skull was auctioned. Then we can also look at the people driving the modern crystal skull story and we see con men like Hunbatz Men and Drunvalo Melchizedek leading the charge. So I think it is pretty clear that the crystal skulls are hoaxes.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

Except that's not true. The claim that the Long Count marks the end of an age comes from one of two places. First is the Popol Vuh a manuscript of creation myths from the K'iche Maya. They claimed that the gods made three other creations before us but they were destroyed because they were unsatisfactory. With the current creation the gods were happy and had no reason to wipe us out. There is no mention of a possible fifth creation. Regardless this is not associated with the Long Count in any way.

The other possibility is the Aztec Fifth Sun prophecy. However, as the name implies this is not Maya in origin. Even then the Fifth Sun prophecy has no date associated with it and even if it did it would use the Long Count as the Aztecs never had a Long Count.

As I pointed out in one of my other posts the belief that the Long Count is associated with precession is ridiculous. It is neither tied to the 26,000 year cycle nor the ~2,000 year cycle. So why do believe that it has anything to do with the Age of Aquarius?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

No, never seen anyone proved such claim about the calendar ending on Decemeber 21, 2012. Just speculation and theories of course. I'm guessing you're one of those people who thinks the world will continue on as if nothing will happen? No change, or no ending but a sense of relief?

Might I remind you, Russia has built a bunker big enough to hold 60,000 people and another Country out there build one big enough for it's entire population? I can't remember which Country. Another built a bunker to peserve items such as seeds, and so on and forth. Let's not forget about Bush purchashing a large amount of land for building his own bunker.

Like really? This whole Decemeber 21, 2012 not only came from the Mayans but somhow was involved in a few other civilizations with the exception that modern day doomsdayers are listing more civilizations and adding the false speculation that they also know about Decemeber 21, 2012 for their own gain through marketing and such. I can't help but shake this feeling that this day will be of a grave importants to all of humanity in one way or another.

Ugh, I'm tired as heck here. I'm going to call it a night.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheProphetMark
It wasn't just the Mayans that came up with that date either.

hinduism.about.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

I've just done a little research on this because I had never heard this before. It turns out that Brahma Kumaris is pretty much the Hindu equivalent of the New Age movement, they also have some cult like tendencies. However, if one actually looks at their beliefs they don't have any connection with 2012. According to their beliefs each age lasts 1,250 years, but between Kali Yuga and Sat Yuga there is a 100 year long age called Sangam Yuga. They believe that Sangam Yuga began in 1936 and thus the Sat Yuga will begin in 2036. Of course this isn't the first date they have chosen for the start of Sat Yuga, it's merely a new date in line of failed predictions.

Of course none of this makes sense in relation to traditional Hindu beliefs. There is no mention of a Sangam Yuga in any text and each Yuga is known to last hundreds of thousands of years. This sounds like once again 2012 supporters trying to shoehorn anything into their beliefs. Except in this case they're not even trying to shoehorn traditional Hindu beliefs.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

832626/pg1#pid13955442]post by Xcalibur254[/url]

I didn't come here to be challenged. I've done nearly 10 years of research on this topic.

Odd that.

I have found that the most astute researchers attract, collect and revel in being challenged. What's up with you?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

It wasn't just the Mayans that came up with that date either.

So did Terence McKenna's TW Theory and it's a load of garbage too.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

When I did my research throughout the 10 years, I never once made any documentations and I wish I had. I might consider getting back into it again. I have trouble remembering things due to my ADD/ADHD and I think it would be a good idea to actually do more research on this topic with documentation files on my hard drive so I can share my research with ATS in the future.

10 years, ten, of no documentation - with an awareness of your deficits - isn't research. It's "looking around".

You seem quite smart and, judging by how fast you are replying to messages on here you also seem to have a pretty good memory.

Garsh...

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Here's a question for you guys. Riddle me this....

If the Mayans couldn't predict the end of their own civilization, how then can they predict the end of the world?

It just seems to me that if they could accurately predict the end of the world then they could've predicted the end of their civilization.

Or anything else for that matter.

In fact, have they ever been able to predict anything else besides the end of the world? For example, did they predict the election and the assassination of JFK?

If they can't predict anything else, then why would they be able to predict the end of the world?

Who said the Mayans predicted the end of the world?

You need to get more educated on the topic, my friend. The mayans never said anything about the end of the world.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Interesting. You seem quite knowledgeable but my only problem is that you mentioned that the Mayans didn't even have an accruate measurement for the legnth of a year.
This line right here shows that you have not researched it from the correct point of view. You are trying to compare the Mayan calendar to others. They dont line up. The mayans measured their calendar not based on days, weeks or years, but in ages. You will never accurately compare them to other calendars.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

The Mayans are not to blame for this ''world ending'' phenomenon , they simply made a calendar ending on 2012, there was no claim that it would be the end of the world, in fact from what I know, it actually is the mark of a new beginning or event.

That event not being the end of the world, but some thing rather enlightening or knowledgeable.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I don't know where you're getting that from. The two most important calendars the Maya had were the Haab and the Tzolkin. These were each broken down by days. As I explained earlier the Haab was the Mayan solar calendar but it only consisted of 365 days with no mechanism to correct for the extra .25 days in a year. The Long Count is also based on days. The base unit for it is the k'in which is equivalent to one day.

This belief that the Maya believed in past and upcoming ages clearly shows that most 2012 "researchers" have never actually researched the beliefs of the Maya. As I've demonstrated in other threads this belief in multiple ages is a conflation of the Popol Vuh and the Aztec Fifth Sun prophecy. The Popol Vuh does mention three previous creations made by the gods. There were no time limits set on these past creations. They were destroyed because they were inadequate. The gods found humans to be adequate and thus we lived. There is no indication that we will eventually be followed by a fifth creation.

The Fifth Sun prophecy states that the universe has been remade four times and that eventually it will be remade one more time. However, this prophecy is not associated with a specific date, not to mention that is Aztec in origin. On top of these facts neither of these are even associated with the Long Count. By the time the K'iche wrote the Popol Vuh the Long Count was no longer used. As for the Aztec, they never even had the Long Count to begin with.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join