It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prision Suicide

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxCanexX
Hmmm, have you been to hundreds of prisons and interviewed all of these inmates to find out why they are killing themselves? Are you for certain that it's because "Abuse by Gaurds, Abuse from other inmates without the gaurds caring"? Are you an expert in such matters? I only ask because you told him that basically his experience didn't mean squat, but somehow you have all the answers correct?

Yes that is correct. What gives you the bigger picture? The testimony of a single teacher at one school? Or the testimony, documentation, reports, witness accounts from many teachers at hundreds of schools?

Actually I'm not sure why I wanted to use an analogy in the first place. 1 correctional worker doesn't give a a full view of the entire system. Their single prison gives them a very skewed view. What they see doesn't necessarily represent the majority.
edit on 4/24/2012 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drezden

I'm in my lane sweet heart, don't you worry your pretty little head about it. I'm sure whatever small county jail you worked at was lovely, but it doesn't give you authority to speak about the majority of U.S. correctional institutions, or their officers.

Well that was cute buttercup, and it was about as much as I expected from someone with a Banksy Piece as their avatar, did it come with your "anti establishment starter kit?" You're so hipster it hurts!

FYI, I worked in one of the larger correctional institutions in the NY/Metro area as a SERT officer...but that obviously pales in comparison to your extensive SME like knowledge of the intricate workings of our penal system.

So please, the floor is yours. What first hand knowledge do you have of the daily plight of the incarcerated in the US?
edit on 24-4-2012 by EyesWideShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine
reply to post by EyesWideShut

Wow, thanks for the great input!! So what happens in cases like this? Do you think the jail is going to be held liable?

You're welcome, in all honesty it depends on the IAB investigation, if the Officer is found to have been negligent in his duties, then yes I'd say the jail would be held liable.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
This documentary gives quite a good insight into what life in prison can lead to.

www.putlocker.com...

Disturbing

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
In 2002, 314 people committed suicide in county jails vs 168 in state prisons. Violent offendors were twice as more likely to commitm suicide.

bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov...

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by fairguy

WOW that was a great documentary! Thanks for sharing it. Although, the county jail in my town is much different than that. Inmates in our county jail don't stay longer than 2 years at a time, people with longer sentences get sent to the state pen.

To be honest, the women in the jail were mostly nice. I didn't see any fights, a little yelling once, but that was it. No "gang" type of stuff, and no open racism (all I did was observe the whole time) I had 5 different cell mates in 15 days, and other than one who woke me up all night long for snoring, they were all decent people who i got along with.

The food was totally disgusting!! I lost 11 pounds in there, cause i couldn't eat that crap. I was surprised the guy in the douc ate his whole tray!!! I liked that guy a lot, he did a great job of connecting with those guys and was able to ask some really tough questions without seeming like an arse!

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

Well I mean a young skinny naive guy goes to jail for tagging up a spot. He serves jail a couple months and comes out a cold-hearted, strong, evil man. Yeap prison changes people either to the bad or worst.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainNemo

Very interesting. I'm guessing here...
The county jail is the first stop in their prison career, some just off them selves before they get transfered to where they will do the real time.

Once they make it to the long term prisons they have their meds under control, along with their state of mind.

Maybe the penitentiary corrections officers do their jobs better, and actually make their rounds, and listen to inmates when they complain about medical issues.

What do you think?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ExploitedAliens

Agreed! I always say jail if you wernt a criminal when you went in, you will be when you go out. And if you were, you'll have new skills, and a network of new criminal friends. sad

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
Well that was cute buttercup, and it was about as much as I expected from someone with a Banksy Piece as their avatar, did it come with your "anti establishment starter kit?" You're so hipster it hurts!

FYI, I worked in one of the larger correctional institutions in the NY/Metro area as a SERT officer...but that obviously pales in comparison to your extensive SME like knowledge of the intricate workings of our penal system.

Brilliant, we are onto personal insults,. (side-note: The bit about the anti-establishment kit was genuinely funny, thank you) Being able to appreciate the work of a modern artist doesn't make a person a hipster. I'm not anti-establishment though, without an establishment of some kind the world would be chaotic.

I don't need to justify myself to you. I never said every single prison worker is bad. There are some good ones scattered evenly about, and if you are a good one then that's super, but it doesn't change the reality of the situation. My brothers friend was raped in jail. He was a good athlete, got good grades, and from a good family. He went out drinking with friends and was arrested for disorderly conduct, but being too drunk in public on a rare occasion doesn't make someone a criminal who deserved the treatment he got. He was raped for being a good looking white kid from the suburbs in a inner city florida jail. The guards did not help him when they new there was going to be trouble. Then the way they treated the situation after it happened was beyond disgusting. That kid is ruined, I don't know that he will ever emotionally recover or be able to function as a healthy adult. I get enraged thinking about this.

Our prison system allows the unsupervised mixing of hard criminals and young non-violent first time offenders. What's worse is most of the guards do not care enough to prevent things that they could if they wanted to.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

Look Man, I'm like a mirror...I reflect back the energy coming towards me, whether it be love or hate. If someone that never worked a day in your profession states on an open forum "All [Insert your profession here] treat people like scum" You'd probably be taken aback by it.

I reply by attempting to show you that not ALL [Insert Profession Here] are scum.

You basically said in so many words , "Yeah, that's great...go kick rocks"

And that's when things went south.

Look, I understand someone you know closely had a bad experience in a jail and it shaped the way you view things, a terrible thing happened to your friend. But you can't place blame on the law enforcement community as a whole for that. Hopefully your bud recovers.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExploitedAliens

Well I mean a young skinny naive guy goes to jail for tagging up a spot. He serves jail a couple months and comes out a cold-hearted, strong, evil man. Yeap prison changes people either to the bad or worst.

Do you not think that maybe that guy uses it as an excuse? I think if you want to be changed for the good then you will. If you no longer want to be a criminal after serving jail time then you won't. I have worked at a jail before and seen guys come in one time and when they get out they clean their act up and never come back. Others however are just bound to live a life of criminal behavior. Nothing anyone can do will ever change that IMO. If you want to be a criminal you will and if you don't you won't. I'm sure some people slip through the cracks, but saying that you are a criminal just because you spent time in jail is an excuse IMO.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by XxCanexX

I think what he meant might be this:

18 year olds are very impressionable. Most of them have no clue who they are, and many look to there peers for ideas and thoughts on life. When one at this stage in life gets thrown into jail with career criminals, it seems like the cards are stacked against them...I believe when your young like that any length of time in jail will have a negative impact on who they are as people...well most of them anyway.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Here in Jersey we have a program to try to mitigate that, you can tell the difference between a kid that made a stupid mistake, and a kid that's a bad seed.

(PTI) Pre Trial Intervention

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Wait, are you talking about jail, or prison? They are two different things.
NVM, I missed the county jail part I guess.....
I knew a kid, was a heroine addict, got caught with like 10 grand worth of smack. He was a weak prettyboy, and knew he was gonna end up as someone's girlfriend in jail. He hung himself as well. The parents blame the jail, but I disagree, it was only him to blame. He was the one that thought sticking needles in his arm was a bright idea. He was the one that thought borrowing 10 grand from his parents(told them he was gonna buy a car) and start dealing to feed his habit. His fault that he hung himself.

Don't know about your situation, but is it really jail guards job to babysit everyone 24/7? If the guards caught it and stopped it, chances are the kid I knew would have blown his head off when he got home, if he was allowed bail at all.
edit on Wed, 25 Apr 2012 23:44:09 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Both I guess. My friend killed himself in county jail. Seems from a stat someone posted earlier, suicide in county jail is almost double that of in prison. What chew got ta say?
thoughts...

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I probably should not comment...but after 13 years in the state penitentiary...I know how this goes.

We often look at things like this from the outside looking in...but from the inside looking out...it is a frequent and sad occasion!

It shouldn't happen...but it does...stuff a person into a hole and forget they exists...and they forget they exists themselves...death is a preference when human existence is forgotten!

The U.S. per capita has more people in prison than any other country in the world...land of the free...not so much!

My sympathy for the family of this man!

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Sorry, hit post too quick lol. Too many tabs were opened at once, posted the wrong one.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Thanks Jerry
Glad you commented! Yea I bet you saw a lot a BS. That documenty posted earlier gave me a feeling like you mention...being forgoten is no fun
Hope your days are better now 1000 fold.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I feel you. I've spent time in many county Jails. My home county was in the news back in 2007 because of an inmates suicide attempt. I had the privilege of being a guest in that exact same cell block but a year or so before that incident. This fella also had medication issues. I just searched and found the news stories but it seems the video has been removed from all sites but liveleak. I'll post the video below, but beware it's a bit graphic. I remember I laughed pretty hard the first few times I watched It but that's just because I'm sick.

VIDEO: Timothy J Thayer attempting to commit suicide in Erie County Jail, Sandusky, Ohio.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join