It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prision Suicide

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Early on a Sunday morning one of my husbands life long friends hung himself from the top bunk of his cell in the County jail. On Saturday pre-trial services spoke with his girlfriend who informed them that he was a heroin addict that would need to be medicated, and she also told them about his suicidal history. That Saturday his Father also called the jail and told someone else there the same thing. They were both told he would be placed on a specific pod that deals with these people, and were assured he would be closely monitored during detox.

Well obviously they failed to do their job, and I’m not surprised. Having spent 15 days in the same jail I know first hand how the corrections offices treat the inmates. I also know they treat the visitors like criminals as well.

I spent 6 days with a cell 50 year old mate who was incarcerated because she went to tax court intoxicated. She had serious mental problems and had been waiting for the “red tape” to release her meds for almost 20 days. She was a total wreck. She was meek and would try everyday to politely address the C.O.’s about the severity of her need to be medicated and everyday she was SCREAMED at and told to shut the F up.

I know that jail is supposed to be an awful place and prisoners should be treated like crap, but I believe this is outrageous. Criminals or not, they are still human beings that should at least be medically cared for.
edit on 19-4-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-4-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

edit on 19-4-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

No.. Prisons are not supposed to be awful places. They are supposed to be places where you serve time for the crimes you have committed. And no, prisoners shouldn't be treated like crap.

Sure, there are some that I would like to beat with a stick, but that doesn't mean they deserve it.

The prison's duty was to incarcerate him, and nothing else (aside from the things that incarceration entails). But since this was supposed to be a case where suicide was likely hazard, rather than a possible hazard, it shouldn't have happened. Negligence can't be excuse when this man's life rested in their hands.

My mother was a jailer for several years, and she also has told me (more times than I care to remember) about some of the ways people were treated badly. One man, a diabetic, was essentially ignored for an entire weekend, even though he required insulin. My mother finally did it, even though she didn't have to.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The guards view you as scum whether you are in there for murder or tax evasion.. it makes no difference, you are criminal scum and will be treated that way.

How a country treats its prisoners is one of the main indicators of its moral standing. The U.S. is morally bankrupt..

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa

Interesting outlook you have there. How would you feel if you knew this person and someone had said that?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

Selfish foolishness at its finest.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Sadly most in county jail haven't been convicted yet, just can't afford bond.
innocent until proven guilty? Naw.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I promise you would rather be in an American prison instead of most any other countries prisons. I love that show "locked up abroad"great show

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

So you think instead of helping drug addicts and those with mental disease, we should just kill them off? Like population control?

OP sorry for your loss. As stated above prisons are not supposed a place to be treated cruelly. There should be living conditions that people can survive in. I agree bread, water, a place to sleep, and take care of nature. However, putting someone in a place that increases their risk of harm -both mental and physical - is wrong.

It would have been one thing if the prison had not been informed. However, they were informed twice and blatantly lied to those people.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The American attitude towards criminals and/or prisoners is one which emphasises vengeance. Said attitude also considers a person's humanity to be entirely arbitrary; something which can be granted or revoked, purely on the basis of acceptable behaviour. Said attitude owes its' existence not only to the chronic racism which is a foundational element of America's heritage, but also the country's extended legacy of being governed by vicious, remorseless psychopaths at virtually every level.

I did not get to read lacrimosa's post before he/she deleted it, but I would suspect that it consisted of the type of fascist, secondarily psychopathic appeal to revenge, just described.
edit on 19-4-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
depends on your crime.

to treat someone who is in jail for something very minor, like pot possession as if they were a serial rapist murderer is wrong.

most people end up in jail for stupid mistakes or because of alcohol.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Hey thanks to both of you that commented and inspired the removal of the rude post I didn't read.

Yes they all get treated the same in that jail, and yes most of them haven't been proven guilty. But in their defense, 75% of the people in there are like wild animals. It was the worst experience I have ever had, and I don't understand how anyone would chance going back there, but they do all the time. The CO's don't know why you're there, and they don't care.

The system is so messed up. Jail just makes these people more inclined to commit crimes, and with an angry disposition to boot.

I saw more illegal medication trading in those 15 day than I have in my entire life. And if I could just sit back and observe it and clearly understand what going on, then the guards defiantly know what's going on and they just don't care. It's sad.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Okay, maybe I've got this wrong. But I thought the point of jail/prison was to rehabilitate the person so that after serving their sentence they could rejoin society and become a productive member.

I guess that's the "happy" version of events and I'm being sentimentally foolish.

I've seen a couple of episodes of a tv show, think its called Locked Up. Documentary style program interviewing inmates and discussing the conditions of the prison.

The episodes I've seen are brutal. Not just guard to prisoner brutal, but prisoner to prisoner brutal. And I think the current system guarantees that prisoners will be placed in a situation that requires them to become MORE violent just to keep themselves alive and well. Or they have to join a gang for protection.

No wonder we have such a high rate of recidivism with our present system.

OP, sorry for your loss. Any chance of legal recourse?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

Actually, they have no business at all in jail. If someone is not a threat to society, they don't need to be in jail. Being drunk in court does not warrant jail. Being an addict does not warrant jail, not unless you rob someone or beat them up.

If we got the correct people into the jail, then it wouldn't matter how they were treated, because they would deserve to be there.

I have spent many nights in jail myself, and it was always for dumb stuff like driving on a suspended license. One night I shared a dorm room with 3 accused murderers and me. Real nice. Another night some drugged out ninja kicked our cell door, broke the welds, and it took them hours to get maintenance to be able to open the door, and the whole time it was just him and I in there. Good thing he didn't attack me, because they could not possibly have helped me.

I've given up on any chance of making the C.O.'s act humanely, or the prison medical staff act humanely, so instead, let's just make sure we get the right people into the torture chamber, and let all the others go.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

It's under investigation. Seems to me like someone is to blame and I hope his family does something about it, I know I sure would. Thank you for your reply, and your kindness

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
To the OP, sorry for your loss...

Originally posted by Drezden
The guards view you as scum whether you are in there for murder or tax evasion.. it makes no difference, you are criminal scum and will be treated that way.

Thanks for your opinion, but it is exactly that...OPINION. the TRUTH is CO's are just like anyone else...It's a Job. I'm not sure if you've had a bad experience being in jail that brought you to your expert conclusion, or if you're just one of those people that like to speak on things which they've had no 1st hand experience.

I've Personally climbed up and cut 2 guys off of the bars that were trying to "hang up" by making a noose out of bedsheets. I had to snatch another guy out of a dorm and apply direct pressure to his wrists so he didn't bleed out, he opened up one of the AA batteries out of his walkman and used the metal outer coating of the battery to cut both wrists...the "right" way.

My job was to make sure that there were the same amount of bodies in the dorms on my last count as my 1st count, make sure that they received the medical care and meds that they're entitled too, and try to do everything in my power to make sure no one is being assaulted or extorted under my watch.

From taking care of commisary, visits, classification/gang issues, toilet paper, special diet trays (cardiacs, diabetic, kosher, halal, vegetarian) Street beefs, health issues... listening to the problems of 260+ guys daily, mentoring, cultivating CI's , Shakedowns, officer assaults, inmate assaults,dealing with dope sick guys fresh out of the bullpen, avoiding jail bugs like MRSA...you've got a full day.

Then you go home and when your wife asks how your day was you just say "fine" despite the fact that you had to wrestle around with an inmate in Max 2 that just came back from court and ended up with a sentence that won't let him see the light of day for 25+ years (yeah, he's got nothing to lose) , and to top it off your LT can't aim worth a damn and end's up shooting you multiple times with the pepperball gun. (google it)

Or fun times like when an Inmate decides not to take his meds for 4 days and slides into a psychotic episode , gets butt naked, lathers himself up in the piss and excriment hes been saving in old cup o' noodle cups and saran wrap for 3 days , refuses to get up for count and says "Call the dogs and come get me, I promise you I'm gone kill one of you MF'rs".

It's a thankless job, but it's the one that we've chosen (I left & became a Firefighter).

As far as the rules go, It's mandated that you make "15 minute rounds" or you make a tour of your area at least once every 15 minutes, I usually did it much sooner at off intervals as not to establish a pattern, if the Officer was found to be negligent in his duties then I hope he contacts his PBA rep and stands by.

I worked with a lot of good men and women who took their job very seriously and executed their duties in a very professional manner... If you think you can do better, you're more than welcome to take whatever civil service test your local agency requires, if not than please with all respect, stay in your lane...

edit on 21-4-2012 by EyesWideShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

Wow, thanks for the great input!! So what happens in cases like this? Do you think the jail is going to be held liable?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut

Thanks for your opinion, but it is exactly that...OPINION. the TRUTH is CO's are just like anyone else...It's a Job. I'm not sure if you've had a bad experience being in jail that brought you to your expert conclusion, or if you're just one of those people that like to speak on things which they've had no 1st hand experience.

I've Personally climbed up and cut 2 guys off of the bars that were trying to "hang up" by making a noose out of bedsheets. I had to snatch another guy out of a dorm and apply direct pressure to his wrists so he didn't bleed out, he opened up one of the AA batteries out of his walkman and used the metal outer coating of the battery to cut both wrists...the "right" way.

Maybe instead of applauding yourself for preventing suicides you should be addressing the reason why prisoners are trying to kill themselves in the first place. Rape, Abuse by guards, Abuse from other inmates without the guards caring, extreme racism.

I'm in my lane sweet heart, don't you worry your pretty little head about it. I'm sure whatever small county jail you worked at was lovely, but it doesn't give you authority to speak about the majority of U.S. correctional institutions, or their officers.
edit on 4/23/2012 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut

Maybe instead of applauding yourself for preventing suicides you should be addressing the reason why prisoners are trying to kill themselves in the first place. Rape, Abuse by guards, Abuse from other inmates without the guards caring, extreme racism.

I'm in my lane sweet heart, don't you worry your pretty little head about it. I'm sure whatever small county jail you worked at was lovely, but it doesn't give you authority to speak about the majority of U.S. correctional institutions, or their officers.
edit on 4/23/2012 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

Hmmm, have you been to hundreds of prisons and interviewed all of these inmates to find out why they are killing themselves? Are you for certain that it's because "Abuse by Gaurds, Abuse from other inmates without the gaurds caring"? Are you an expert in such matters? I only ask because you told him that basically his experience didn't mean squat, but somehow you have all the answers correct?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join