It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Purple Crab Species Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Newly discovered animal species is one of my favorite things to learn about. This is one of the coolest new species that I've come across in a while. It's amazing how colorful ocean life can be, and this little crab in definitely colorful.

www.care2.com...

A species of purple crab has been discovered on the island of Palawan in the Phillipines. Lead researcher Hendrik Freitag said the bright colors might be a random variation or could be a social advantage, “The particular violet coloration might just have evolved by chance, and must not necessarily have a very specific function or reason aside from being a general visual signal for recognition.” (Source: National Geographic) It was named Insulamon palawanense.

The new species is very tiny – just one to two inches wide – so bright colors indeed would probably be an advantage for recognition by other crabs of the same species in habitat where so many other objects are much larger

One thing stood out to me about the story of this crab.

Nearly every time I encounter some magnificent new creature, I see how fragile they are, and how we as humans have neglected to take care of what is around us. We have been given all this intelligence, but have yet to see our role in this universe.

The tiny creatures also can hide in spaces unavailable to their larger counterparts and require less food. They can also survive in less habitat. Even so, the tiny purple crab is endemic, meaning it lives nowhere else, and mining projects on Palawan are disrupting natural areas

Additional pictures of the crab can be found at the link below.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
The first thing that popped in my mind was Purple Crab Power

S&F that is a really pretty crab, it's looking at the camera saying "What you never seen a purple crab before". lol
"

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Amazing!

I love the vibrant colors on these little things. I, too, am a fan of the news of new species discoveries. It is a very humbling thought, that we, as humans, have been here for a long time, and still know so little of what is out there.

(They aren't the dreaded purple people eaters are they??)
edit on 19-4-2012 by Daemonicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Daemonicon

That's a great idea for a story or movie!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Aw, he's cute

Having hermit crabs for years let me see just how alive crabs are. Humans give too little credit to other species, especially non mammals.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

I have often wondered who is smarted, our society as humans, or the "animal world". Most animals take and use only what they need to survive, and they don't waste what little time they have to exist with iPods and new cars.

Spend some time watching animals...then spend some time watching people...Which seems happier?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Beautiful creature it is!

But, it is just now being discovered, yet, its already being threatened

Noone has voices, human, animal, fish, we just conquer and destroy

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Great find OP, S&F for you !

I really enjoy finding new species, especially ones found underwater. There's so much about our oceans that is undiscovered (we have only explored 3%-5% of it's entirety).

If you like this thread, you'll probably really enjoy a thread I did a few days ago (lots of amazing newly discovered underwater creatures!);

The Last Unexplored Frontier On Earth - Deep Ocean Mysteries and Wonders

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Yeah, but how does he taste?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

I agree entirely, It's staggering, and does nothing less than capture that sense of childish curiosity and sheer wonder...

Really inspiring. Thanks for sharing
S&F

V

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daemonicon
Amazing!

edit on 19-4-2012 by Daemonicon because: (no reason given)

No we already have the purple people eater here in MN, and he likes to go to the vikings games...

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
That thing is beautiful.Nice find OP.
Prince called, he wants his crab back.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barrios
Yeah, but how does he taste?
Oh you terrible troll, now you got me wondering that.
How awful! Well that is a beautiful little creature. It reminds me of the gorgeous tiny poisonous colorful frogs, most of which are also endangered that were on this forum some time ago. Usually in nature such bright colors mean "watch out" but in this case it seems to mean "look at me.".

Thanks for sharing this find with us, OP. Star and flag. It love these threads reminding me what beauty this planet produces.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Pimp my crab, 'nuff said

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
It reminds me of a christmas island crab how closely are they related?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I wonder if they are poisonous like the purple ringed octopus?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
very cool looking crab...Nature makes some of the most amazing things

top topics

join