It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ISP will defend users from government spying

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   

New ISP will defend users from government spying

www.youtube.com

As the battle rages on over regulations for the Internet, one man is proposing a solution that could curb the concerns over online privacy. Legislation is being pushed in America right now that could stop online piracy, but would at the same time also infringe on the rights of many. Could all that change, though? One new Internet Service Provider will challenge the government if a user's information is requested. Nicholas Merrill, executive director for The Calyx Institute, joins us to explain.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Found this on the tube. Apparently this guy used to run a major ISP(not sure which one) and he says that during that time, US authorities approached him asking for extensive details on a particular customer.

He goes on to say that they were basically using the patriot act to write their own warrants without probable cause etc.

All is not lost, this guy wants to create a new ISP that makes it impossible for users activities to be tracked, or something to that effect. I am not very techy, I would love to hear your opinions on this.

www.youtube.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 18-4-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   

edit on 18-4-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Here's your video.

I'm looking forward to feedback - if this is possible - if it will be done - how I sign up - etc.

Thanks!

peace

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Thanks, I had already posted it though.

I would really like to hear some views on this.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

In all honesty, I think this is a bad idea. I mean how many criminals, pedophiles etc are going to be connected through this provider? I'm against the government wanting every little bit of information but somewhere the line has to be drawn and it's painfully obvious this is just going to let people get away with bad things. I know there are already other ways to protect your virtual identity and that the government can also use other methods to catch criminals but this is too far in my opinion.

Although he would have to put up a hell of a fight to get away with not handing over the information in the first place.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Yes, this is one of my concerns. I too think about the evil doers who could get away with virtually anything. Perhaps they could do a CRB check on customers before they join as a safety measure.

Just in case: CRB = Criminal Record Background.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

That's exactly the argument the government uses to protect us from the dangers of the internet.

Pedophilia needs to be solved at it's source, the internet is simply a medium they use.

What if they start using physical pictures and paper? Outlaw cameras? pf...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Swizzy

I agree, too many people use the "paedophile" argument against allowing freedom of the internet.

Yes, it means criminals will get away with things, but at the end of the day, the criminals are much less than 1% of society, which means that the 99.???% of people would have to be putting up with these laws for a tiny tiny tiny minority. In other words, the minority wins, the opposite of democracy.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
This could have some serious implications for the government as it will increase the time and money they need to get their hands on certain information.
Lets not fool ourselves into believing that with this, our information will be completely shielded from the government. All this does is make it harder for them (which is good imo).

I wouldn't be surprised if this guy would be found dead somewhere due to "suicide" in the near future just like many others before him like Gary Webb. He was best known for his research into the CIA-backed contras in the late 90's/early 00's who was found dead (In his hotel room if I'm not mistaken). He allegedly died due to two "self-influcted" gunshot wounds to the head which is total and complete bullsh!t if you ask me.

IT--
edit on 18-4-2012 by edog11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I am sure that if this is a genuine plan to start this up, that the isp will not alliw its services to be used for illegal purpose. I would imagine they would still monitor what is happening on their lines, and if any pedos are using the service, they will still be dealt with by the law.
Just because they will not pass your details to the govt. Does not mean it will become a den for every illegal activity online. It just means they will not hand your details out so willingly.
If anything does come of this, I am sure new legislation would get put in place to get around it anyway, so it wouldnt be private for long.
edit on 18-4-2012 by djyorkie because: sorting out some typos due to the keyboard on my phone playing up

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swizzy

That's exactly the argument the government uses to protect us from the dangers of the internet.

Pedophilia needs to be solved at it's source, the internet is simply a medium they use.

What if they start using physical pictures and paper? Outlaw cameras? pf...

Not only that, the internet is a Small part of it all, you hear about these sick lowlifes being caught with thousands and thousands of images and video, on removable media. They aren't zipping up terrabytes of CP and sending it over the internet, they're meeting to do major trading.

So, penalising everyone is just a typical government manoeuvre to put walls around freedom. It will do absolutely nothing to stop sick people. In fact, it will most likely keep them safe as they tighten their own methods, and ultimately do the exact opposite such bills are for. Pure stupidity, but as transparent as it is... it's the government afterall.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by djyorkie

Yes, this is were I'm a little unclear about the idea of this ISP. Like I said, I'm not very tech savvy with networks and software. Is he saying it's untraceable or just that he will refuse to hand details over without probable cause?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigBruddah

In all honesty, I think this is a bad idea. I mean how many criminals, are going to be connected through this provider? I'm against the government wanting every little bit of information but somewhere the line has to be drawn and it's painfully obvious this is just going to let people get away with bad things. I know there are already other ways to protect your virtual identity and that the government can also use other methods to catch criminals but this is too far in my opinion.

Although he would have to put up a hell of a fight to get away with not handing over the information in the first place.

So you would have the net controled because of a few pedophiles etc.....

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigBruddah

In all honesty, I think this is a bad idea. I mean how many criminals, pedophiles etc are going to be connected through this provider? I'm against the government wanting every little bit of information but somewhere the line has to be drawn and it's painfully obvious this is just going to let people get away with bad things. I know there are already other ways to protect your virtual identity and that the government can also use other methods to catch criminals but this is too far in my opinion.

That is the price of freedom. You have a guaranteed right, such as freedom of speech, and there are going to be some nuts out there who spew nothing but hate, ugliness, and terrible discrimination and/or murder, like Westboro Baptist. But to take it away to shut up the people whose opinions are actively harmful, you take it away from EVERYONE.

Furthermore, even without a guaranteed right for the law-abiding, criminals will still commit crimes by exploiting that right. Because they don't care if there's a law or not, they are still going to find a way to do what they do.

I hope that guy does it. If he does, I will be all over it like white on rice.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

People already get away with bad things.

Anonymous managed to take down a massive pedo ring that the police around the world couldn't touch. And we're supposed to believe these laws are intended to "protect" people? Not a chance.

The gov in the UK is also now planning to extend their monitoring, recording every single connection on the internet, and opening content at will.

There are already a lot of methods to become anonymous on the internet, regardless of this snooping. Are we supposed to believe that people who want to communicate secretly cannot use encryption methods?

These methods are not intended to prevent crime or terrorism. If you are engaged in either you can simply go off the radar using a proxy or a "book" encryption that NO AGENCY can hack.

What these measures will do is allow governments to intercept, monitor and prevent the democratic process of rallying the people for protest. This is intended to be used to prevent domestic unrest, to stop people from being able to organize peaceful protest around the world.

It is no coincidence that just as the economy tanks, and as we're expecting the Euro to collapse, that the UK government now wants total control over who communicates with who, when, and why. They know that massive social unrest is coming, and that the two-party system is finally at risk. The PTB cannot afford to let the people create their own parties, without influence of the elites, and actually lead their own nations - they would loose their control over entire nations.

If you have any doubt about this, just look at the infiltration of existing peaceful protest groups over the last ten years. This has been going on for a long time and they admit it.

They will be using these methods to stop you from going to that rally to call for democratically elected government, not to stop you from acting illegally.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by djyorkie

It is illegal for ISP's to actively monitor your Internet traffic unless warranted by the Police, So taking that this ISP will refuse to cooperate with police, That doesn't seem likely.
It sounds from the article that the ISP are making a system that even they themselves cannot tell what the user is doing or connecting too, So they are not "harboing" criminal activites so to speak. I think plausible deniability comes into play here? Not to sure about American Law.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I should probably add this isn't the be all all end all of internet privacy. People who use it for illegal means can still be caught using Honeypot methods (Agencies setting up or infiltrating illegal websites and logging who uses them)

Most paedophiles and other online criminals aren't caught or investigated just for looking at CP or trying to find stolen credit cards. The people usually arrested are the ones with massive online presences who supply and host illegal content. Real-time internet Monitoring rarley ever happens. Even the NSA can't monitor someone Internet use in Real time, It is a process of looking over months and months of logs, Usually starting off with the agency investigating requesting the details of said person from the ISP he is with, However This info isn't exactly essential for big governmental agencies investigating more serious things than Internet Piracy. (The RIAA needs this info because it is illegal for them to obtain it in any other way, it is not for Governmental agencies.)
edit on 18-4-2012 by Mart0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This is what all ATS users should have, I'm really surprised that this hasnt got more attention. This is whats up with ATS's user base, they're fast to flag threads that explain a conspiracy, but when a solution comes along it gets plunged into the bottomless pit of lost threads

S&F, I will be sharing this with everybody I know. Thanks for sharing

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Thank you for reading/watching and replying.

I agree with what you said, words of wisdom. I really appreciate that you are going to share this with those you care about, I am going to too. We just need to keep our eye on developments with this because chances are, he will be stopped. One way or another.

Let's hope not and keep our eyes on this.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join