It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse - A fascinatingly disturbing thought

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I saw him last night! He came to UNC Chapel Hill as part of the North Carolina Science Festival and I was able to get tickets to go.

He pretty much talked about the same stuff as in Cosmic Quandaries, as well as other stuff.

He's an awesome guy!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Extremador

He's an awesome guy!

I agree, whole heartedtly!

If I could pick five "dinner guests".....he would be one. Others. Dr. Stephen Hawking, and for (no particular reason, but just for the jokes) Lisa Lampanelli, Kathy Griffin and.....oh, for the "magic", Penn Jillette (or, and his partner "Teller").....

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShockTruther
This man is talking about serious, thought provoking theories and the audience reacts by laughing like a bunch of idiots... Drooling morons indeed.

Yeah, I'd say that if intelligent life came across us it wouldn't bother to stop. I imagine intelligence beyond ours would find humans not quaint, but annoying and barbaric. Not worthy of the valuable resources we enjoy.
edit on 17-4-2012 by ShockTruther because: (no reason given)

Of course he is talking about very serious thought provoking theories, but he also has a sense of humor. The two do not have to be entirely separated from each other. Considering who the speaker is, I suspect that the people who would go to see him and hear him speak are not of average intelligence. These are likely very bright people who understand not only what he is suggesting, but can also laugh at his joke about such theories. I can not imagine your average person going to listen to Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
So I was thinking on the 1% difference and what if that next step isn't a matter of brain intelligence as much as it is a spiritual difference? Now please do not misunderstand me. I'm not talking Jesus freak christian or any other sort of religion. I don't believe religion has much to do with spirituality to be honest and I'm not a religious person as it would be. But over the years I have read and seen much that eludes to the fact that beings who are superior to us communicate telepathically. So yes this could very well just be a physical brain development that our species simply does not have, but what if a spiritual growth of some sort allows us to communicate differently. Or perhaps tap into an energy source that is everywhere, but we can not at our current state observe. What if that would give us an entirely different understanding of all things in life. What if that is the next step to moving up a percentage? What if the difference between humans and apes isn't so much a physical difference, but more of a mental separation between spiritual and the physical. I suspect there is probably a good deal of physical difference, but what if bridging the gap of that 1% is something that isn't entirely un-acheivable?

Just thinking out loud mostly. Of course it could just be that we are big apes who want to know more, but have no physical way to jump forward that next 1%. LOL

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join