It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse - A fascinatingly disturbing thought

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+82 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Well searched and couldn't find, mods move if in wrong forum. Anyways, Dr. Neil DeGrasse, in my eyes, is a brilliant human being. In this video he talks about the Panspermia Theory. and how our intelligence compared to an aliens is miniscule to say the least. Very interesting video indeed. Enjoi

edit on 17-4-2012 by Thisbseth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Thisbseth

One word...Profound.

Oh yea...second line.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

that was somethig really brilliant

i really see my poster collection on my fridges door with different eyes now

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
relativity and perspective

regardless of intelligence, i doubt we're among the more noble races, based on all the war as soon as we got our hands on gunpowder & nukes.

theres room for improvement - a noble species would not have a history of genocides and world wars.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I've always been a fan of the theory that life got transferred from Mars via space rock. If our two planets currently exchange around one ton of material a year completely by chance I cannot imagine on any significant time scale that biological material didn't get from Mars to earth in a viable manner. Since Mars is so much smaller than earth it cooled MUCH faster than the Earth. It is quite possible that simple life had started chugging along on a wet, geologically active young Mars long before Earth had cooled enough to develop life of it's own. It is not a stretch to imagine some hardy martian microbes getting trapped in rock debris being flung into space by an asteroid and eventually landing on earth in a low angle impact that won't completely scramble the hardy travelers

Regarding the second point of the video I would be fine if aliens never come to visit us as for the reasons he describes the aftermath of that meeting won't be pretty for us.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Hrm. It kinda hurts to think maybe we're just not interesting enough to be Liked or Friended on Galaxy Facebook. Haha. Is there more to this clip? I never heard his ideas on UFOs.
edit on 17-4-2012 by AMANNAMEDQUEST because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I like him, he's an out of the box thinker, I wonder how many people he has pissed off with the 1% theory.

I like his thoughts on this very much, thinking about life outside of this planet and making contact has it's limitations, our own intelligence is the limiting factor, truly brilliant thouhgts by a brilliant human.

Thanks for posting the vid, a new perspective on things is exactly what we humans need.

Peace

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AMANNAMEDQUEST

Yes, if you watch the vid on youtube then there are a bunch of other vids down the right hand side, enjoy.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
His position is that of most educated skeptics, i.e. there is presently no absolutely empirical evidence to support visitation and that the popular belief that UFO=Extraterrestrial is a product of human psychology.

Here is the video...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Thats some good ol common sense right there, something not that many are privy to any longer.

I would think, however, that hyper intelligent beings, if such things as he mentions were in fact intuitive, would consider communication with any less intelligent being a simple matter.

IMO, aliens really just dont care that much for whatever reasons.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
This man is talking about serious, thought provoking theories and the audience reacts by laughing like a bunch of idiots... Drooling morons indeed.

Yeah, I'd say that if intelligent life came across us it wouldn't bother to stop. I imagine intelligence beyond ours would find humans not quaint, but annoying and barbaric. Not worthy of the valuable resources we enjoy.
edit on 17-4-2012 by ShockTruther because: (no reason given)

+15 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShockTruther
This man is talking about serious, thought provoking theories and the audience reacts by laughing like a bunch of idiots... Drooling morons indeed.

Yeah, I'd say that if intelligent life came across us it wouldn't bother to stop. I imagine intelligence beyond ours would find humans not quaint, but annoying and barbaric. Not worthy of the valuable resources we enjoy.

This whole "humanity is barbaric and not worth an alien's time" crap is so tiring. If you can't see how humanity is awesome in spite of our extreme limitations, then you're just a negativist from the get go, and filled with self-hatred. Aliens would be lucky to find us. We're great.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

aliens really just dont care that much for whatever reasons.

That is probably a good thing, as we (the more intelligent) species exploit our closest genetic relative (chimpanzees) in zoos and exploit them in circuses & the like, not to mention the animal testing that occurs on them in the name of science.

There are those that lean on the side of conservation of course and could be considered benevolent to the species I suppose.

There in and either way, we're still separated by roughly 1% of genetic material...which denotes ehmmm human intelligence.

With the "fascinatingly disturbing thought" brought forth from the clip in the OP, it is probably better we aren't visited, regardless if the aliens were benevolent or otherwise.

Truly fascinating and disturbing indeed.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
That was a very awesome video there.
I like his analogy of having a conversation with a bug.

Ask your self this:
If aliens did make themselves known to us in a big public affair what do you think would be the first reaction?
We would shoot at them of course. That's what people do.

Now ask your self this:
What do you do, when you get bit by a bug?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

It's amazing to know that he fell in love with the universe at the same place I later learned that I love the universe. How lucky are we in this present time...to see the farthest reaches of the universe and all the way back to the initial spark that ignited the forever.
I was fortunate to get the best public education possible when I grew up in Long Island. My class and school trips were huge...Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Paris, Vermont, plus all the landmarks in NYC. We went to the Hayden Planetarium every year, I never missed a trip[.
I miss my city. I now live in Southeastern US.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

what gunpowder and nukes. the first time man picked up a rock, he probably hit someone over the head with it.

and if you can imagine, during roman times, they used swords and spears. imagine the battlefield after 70,000 people clashed.

and they fought to the death and took no prisoners. you're talking 10's of thousands of gallons of blood spewed on an area the size of 5-6 football fields.

not to mention the hacked limbs, intestines, heads, brains and tissue littered all around you.

the smell of the rotting carcasses must of been unimaginable.

edit on 18-4-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I believe the exact same thing as this fellow, and even posted my first thread to ATS on the topic.

My thread has a lot more information on the subject, but might not be quite as easy or funny to follow along with.

Like literally, the first seven minutes were almost verbatim to what I have posted and believe. I like this guy already

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Any alternative intelligent/wise being would look at us and I will take a guess and say " they are pure potential, isnt that amazing" Now wether we waste that pp its another matter. Also any being who heard mozarts music would have to bow down in admiration.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ShockTruther

Sounds like their laughing with him, not at him

I think he's 100% correct, we are so egotistical and yet we are just like everything else....made of the building blocks of life, hydrogen, oxygen, carbon, and nitrogen. Less than 2% DNA separates us from the apes.

We are not separate from the stars, merely an extension of them.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   

What a brilliant man, i have had the same theory about the 1% differance, but he put it so clearly and well, what a brilliant man, Great thread OP mega S&F with uber kuddos.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join