It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaders who make war but are not soldiers. They are not lions. They are scared foxes.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I was thinking.

What is war to someone who is not a soldier? What is the difference to someone who is a soldier?

I ask to make that juxtaposition because more often than not we find people who are not soldiers making wars.

Is that not similar to a mechanic recommending brain surgery? Should not the ultimate role of waging war be placed in the hands of those that fight it? This brings me to my next thought. Some may argue that military people act as advisors and ultimately are involved in the decision making process. I wonder though.

Is there a difference between the generals and experts of the past and now in reference to their "being soldiers". I am not saying a general is not in the know. What I am saying is that allot of times these people are officers from the get go. The go to military academies and when they finally do take on the role they have been trained for, they are not necessarily soldiers but rather advisors and organizers with the same uniform with a little more crap attached.

I look to the past when a king or a leader had to lead his army on the battle field. He was protected and not like swinging a claymore rushing into the enemy force literally leading his army. Not always at least, but the leader WAS there and some did die. Take for example the legend of EL CID. He rode into battle with his troops in Spain against the moors and inspired his men and struck fear into his enemies. His cadaver was even placed on his horse and sent into battle just because the men felt as though they could not lose when he was there bleeding with them. The moors saw him as a kind of war god.

Now flash forward a bunch of years and we have our leaders in thousand dollar suits pressing buttons and signing papers that make officers command men miles if not hundreds of miles away from them into battle. They are not soldiers and the officers, though they will say different, are watered down versions of their former selves. I am not speaking of the grunt who had a good head and balls to match and progressed up the chain of command. Many will argue that even he has a ceiling to his potential advancement. He is not refined and "politically marketable" so he might lead well and command the respect of his men, so he does JUST that.

Imagine if our leader was there with them. Imagine if war was taken as seriously as it was throughout our history. If you want land, you go fight with the men you inspire. If you want power you rally your troops and live by example. A leader that would not risk his life in the least was considered a coward and so was thought to be bad luck on a battle field. No pay would make men risk dishonor and defeat because they followed a fool into a game of masters.

There is no greater honor for a soldier to prove himself true on his battle field. That he is capable and worthy of living and dying alongside men of similar worth. There is nothing of this to a politician who cares not how well his troops do as long as his purpose is served. (Vietnam for example). If he was a soldier he would first care about the honor of his soldiers being fulfilled and kept and there after the consequences of a single battle or war. Victory is tantamount to fulfilling your reason for war in the eyes of a soldier. They want to win. Victory is circumstantial to a politician since he can serve his reason for war in many ways with or without it.

That is a grave problem to me. The people who argue the necessity of war don't actually care. They aren't warriors. They are liars who like to feel manly commanding men, and so will never understand the awesome truth of being a leader who has victory and jubilee with his men, or loss and solemn respect with his men. A leader who is just a leader will never compare to the kings of old who were soldiers first on the battle field and leaders second. The will never be like the leaders of the past who knew what was being delt before going to war since they will never have to become the war they make.

To become the war you make. Think about it.

I will defend my nation with war. In my people´s name I will defend our honor. I will become the war it needs.

Or

I will command for war to be made for my nation or in my name. The war I see fit. They will become what I ask them to.

Which comes from a lion? Which from a fox?

Who would you follow. Who would you not dare defy.

May the lions rise again.

May men who make war, fight the war. May they inspire us to overcome our fears. May the make us stronger for it. May we learn to respect our lives in peace, knowing the honor of war and its sacrifice.

may the disrespect of life be forgotten in our living world. May the dishonor of frail men be erased from our nation´s thrones.

Men will bleed rivers for a single drop of blood from a righteous leader bled in their defense.

Men will shed only what blood they must to survive, if their leader only offers tears for his victory or his defeat. Even if he cries oceans.

edit on 17-4-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by BIHOTZ
Which comes from a lion? Which from a fox?

So that must be the reason why Erwin Rommel was called Desert Fox...well Desert Lion would sound a bit awkward. Desert Fox is more slick and with a great strategic master as he was...i would follow him

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

yeah it's not as cool. I would have asked to be the desert scorpion. Or like the Sahara cobra...lol

good example. That man suffered it all with them. They would have marched into hell for him.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

This may be one reason why wars are too easily launched nowadays. The leader, advisors, and politicians do not step onto the battlefield, and very few have children or family members in the line of fire. There's no true concept of risk involved to these "white collar warriors."

You say leaders should once again experience war with the men they lead.

I say: the soldiers should put down their weapons and tell the "white collar warriors" to fight their own wars. Fight for their own profit-making schemes and grand agendas.

How beautiful the world would be if the soldiers stop killing their fellow humans on the whims of some shiny-shoed paper pusher with a "great" idea.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Ruy Díaz de Vivar – El Cid (Parque de Balboa, Sevilla)
1043 – 1099 (Burgos, España)

“El ciego sol, la sed y la fatiga.
Por la terrible estepa castellana,
al destierro con doce de los suyos
-polvo, sudor y hierro-, el Cid cabalga”.

TRANSLATION
"the blinding sun, the thirst and the fatigue.
From the terrible Castilian steppe,
to exile with twelve of his own.
dust, sweat and Iron-, The Cid rides on."

I just thought I would throw this in here for good measure. My heart almost punched its way out of my chest and shot itself like a cannon upon my keyboard.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

yeah man I hear you. I wish our generation knew more completely how precious life really is. War is inevitable when men chose not to learn why their enemies stand against them. It is also the only answer to mad men who know not the fortune of peace. That said, it is not something someone should impose on his people without suffering the sacrifice alongside them.

If we had respect for life we would not carelessly throw it away or strip it from each other. If we had leaders with honor we would not be faced with meaningless sacrifice.

May the lions rise again.

may true warriors walk this earth again so that we may know peace once more.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
A lament for the lost glory of Germanic theocracy and the old world order.

I had to include this too. We have lost much. We must honor them. Those that came before us with soft souls, noble hearts, and abounding virtues. I salute you!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
One of the exceptions

Maj. Gen. James E. Livingston, USMC (Ret.), Medal of Honor

I led by example and was always shaved, had my gear in order, and was always in the front of a fight or PT [physical training] run. You have to lead from the front . . . anyone can shout orders from the rear, but I would not want to follow such ‘leaders’ into harm’s way either.

I always believed in what Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. said . . . that a man ‘should be judged by the content of his character and not by the color of his skin.’ This was never truer than on the field of battle, and it is one of the great hallmarks of our beloved Marine Corps.

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as Commanding Officer, Company E, Second Battalion, Fourth Marines, Ninth Marine Amphibious Brigade in action against enemy forces in the Republic of Vietnam. On 2 May 1968, Company E launched a determined assault on the heavily fortified village of Dai Do, which had been seized by the enemy on the preceding evening isolating a Marine company from the remainder of the battalion. Skillfully employing screening agents, Captain Livingston maneuvered his men to assault positions across 500 meters of dangerous open rice paddy while under intense enemy fire. Ignoring hostile rounds impacting near him, he fearlessly led his men in a savage assault against enemy emplacements within the village. While adjusting supporting arms fire, Captain Livingston moved to the points of heaviest resistance, shouting words of encouragement to his Marines, directing their fire, and spurring the dwindling momentum of the attack on repeated occasions. Although twice painfully wounded by grenade fragments, he refused medical treatment and courageously led his men in the destruction of over 100 mutually supporting bunkers, driving the remaining enemy from their positions, and relieving the pressure on the stranded Marine company. As the two companies consolidated positions and evacuated casualties, a third company passed through the friendly lines launching an assault on the adjacent village of Dinh To, only to be halted by a furious counterattack of an enemy battalion. Swiftly assessing the situation and disregarding the heavy volume of enemy fire, Captain Livingston boldly maneuvered the remaining effective men of his company forward, joined forces with the heavily engaged Marines, and halted the enemy's counterattack. Wounded a third time and unable to walk, he steadfastly remained in a dangerously exposed area, deploying his men to more tenable positions and supervising the evacuation of casualties. Only when assured of the safety of his men did he allow himself to be evacuated. Captain Livingston's gallant actions uphold the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and United States Naval Service.
Nixon

3 tours in vietnam. almost nothing right......

I am not a fox news guy (he likes it)lol
.but I cant argue with him. Sir, I salute you! Thank you.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
just some random quotes. The king Arthur ones are from the movie..lol

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

"No leader should put troops into the field merely to gratify his own spleen; no leader should fight a battle simply out of pique. But a kingdom that has once been destroyed can never come again into being; nor can the dead ever be brought back to life. Hence the enlightened leader is heedful, and the good leader full of caution."
- Sun Tzu

Inhale, exhale
Forward, back
Living, dying:
Arrows, let flown each to each
Meet midway and slice
The void in aimless flight --
Thus I return to the source. -sokko

Carlos Casteneda on the Path of the Warrior
"The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything as a blessing or a curse."
— Carlos Castaneda

Arthur: Knights! The gift of freedom is yours by right. But the home we seek resides not in some distant land, it's in us, and in our actions on this day! If this be our destiny, then so be it. But let history remember, that as free men, we chose to make it so! »

Arthur: Oh, merciful God, I have such need of Your mercy now. Not for myself, but for my knights, for this is truly their hour of need. Deliver them from their trials ahead and I will pay You a thousandfold with any sacrifice You ask of me. And if in Your wisdom, You should determine that sacrifice must be my life for theirs, so that they can once again taste the freedom that has so long been denied to them, I will gladly make that covenant. My death will have a purpose. I ask no more than that. »

"It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death it is then the truest valor to dare to live." - Sir Thomas Brown

To lead people, walk beside them … As for the best leaders, the people do not notice their existence. The next best, the people honor and praise. The next, the people fear; and the next, the people hate … When the best leader’s work is done the people say, ‘We did it ourselves!
Lao-Tsu

I must follow the people. Am I not their leader?
Benjamin Disraeli

Example is not the main thing in influencing others, it is the only thing.
Albert Schweitzer

I think leadership comes from integrity – that you do whatever you ask others to do. I think there are non-obvious ways to lead. Just by providing a good example as a parent, a friend, a neighbor makes it possible for other people to see better ways to do things. Leadership does not need to be a dramatic, fist in the air and trumpets blaring, activity.
Scott Berkun

The leaders who work most effectively, it seems to me, never say “I.” And that’s not because they have trained themselves not to say “I.” They don’t think “I.” They think “we”; they think “team.” They understand their job to be to make the team function. They accept responsibility and don’t sidestep it, but “we” gets the credit…. This is what creates trust, what enables you to get the task done.
Peter Drucker

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, concerned citizens can change world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Not the cry, but the flight of a wild duck, leads the flock to fly and follow.
Chinese Proverb

He who has never learned to obey
cannot be a good commander.
Aristotle

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

top topics

join