It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entire Family Witness Landed UFO - Mellen, Wisconsin, 1975.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Star Trek's Leonard Nimoy describes a very strange UFO incident in the video below where an entire family witnessed a landed object on the road outside their farm in Mellen, Wisconsin on March 13th, 1975- the object was reported to be making a large banging noise (whilst also emitting a high pitched whining sound) and the witness sketch is posted below along with the main report from the APRO bulletin and other information about animal behaviour and landing trace evidence.

The case becomes more intriguing when it's stated that later that same evening the local sheriff and seven other deputies chased several brightly lit objects down local county roads which 'darted about the sky'- one police officer said that the light emitted by one of the objects was so intense he could 'read a newspaper by it' and there were also reports of EM effects on the patrol car's police radio.

New Video link:

Newspaper Article:

Source: Rochester, MN Post-Bulletin, March 20, 1975

Wisconsin Officers Report Multiple Sightings of UFOs

Ashland, WI (AP) - Authorities in a four-county area of Northern Wisconsin have reported several recent sightings of unidentified flying objects, with nine deputies in Ashland and Iron counties saying they saw four UFOs at one time.

At the time of the sightings, officials said, police radios were garbled or went out of service and witnesses said they saw the objects moving, changing colors, and heading toward a common position in the sky.

Authorities at the nearby Duluth airport said there was no radar contact made at the time, late in the evening of March 13.

Ashland County Sheriff Joe Croteau said "telephones were ringing off the hook from citizens who also saw the objects". Sightings were also reported in Douglas and Price counties.

A rural Mellen resident, Mrs. Phil Baker and her daughter, Jane, 15, told authorities "an object" landed on a road near their home, made noises and high-pitched sounds, and had red and green lights around it.

Ashland County Undersheriff George Ree, who investigated, said he found no evidence of a landing. He left their home and drove about two miles to meet with deputies. Then, he said, he and the deputies saw four UFOs, one brighter than the others. They said the brightest one moved, changed colors, and then became stationary while three smaller objects headed toward it.

link

Object description:

Witness Sketch.

"I didn't want to believe what I was seeing," Phil Baker said later. "There was this circular object about twelve feet across with red and bluish-green lights around the outside and in the center was an opening like a door with a real brilliant light coming from inside."
“I felt I could've looked inside if I'd been closer, but I couldn't see any details. It made a high whiny, sing-songy noise. I never heard a sound like that before."

Archive

Police UFO Chase:

"We saw one object come from the south going in a northerly direction," Ree said. "This was the second one, and it was a little lower than the first. We watched these two for maybe a half hour.

“Then a third one came from the north going south, and that was the lowest one of all. We could see different colored lights on it. That one stayed in the air for approximately ten or fifteen minutes, just moving, sort of doing a jig, going up and down, making a big ‘U’ and going up and down again.

"We had two more cars on U.S. 2 in the northern part of Ashland County and I was transmitting to the deputies in that location. Two deputies were watching from a fire tower on Birch Hill and another, Drolson, was northwest of them on Lake Superior when one of these objects we were watching took off at a very high rate of speed.

“I radioed to Drolson and told him, 'It's going your way,' and all of a sudden he said, 'I see it coming–' and his radio went blank..

Things That Go Bang In The Night

Links:

Animal Reaction Feature - NICAP
APRO Bulletin Article - April 1975
edit on 14-10-2021 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Very fun and awesome post.
I especially enjoy the drawings in cases like these as a reflection on the degrees of sophistication involved in the imaginations of witnesses from a psychological standpoint over time from the 50s up to modern sightings.

We get nuts and bolts craft with portals, windows, and hatches in the early years.
In the last two decades, for whatever reason, especially in modernized urban areas with liberal access to current media sources and entertainments, we get a wider variety and degree of imaginative sophistication in craft descriptions.

I'm not saying the event above didn't happen. I just find, from a psychological and sociological perspective, such cases quite very interesting, for the people, what they claim, and how they claim it.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Druscilla, thanks for the reply and there's a link below charting many of the different UFO/OVNI shapes reported down the years, there's also a thread here dealing with close range sightings although I don't realy subscribe to the socio-psychological explanation as in many cases the incidents involve aspects like radar confirmation, E.M. interference effects, ground trace evidence or separately located witnesses to help corroborate the reports- when a person looks at global reports the descriptions also appear to show very little cultural influence or environmental prejudice and are reported by a wide range of people from right across the social spectrum.

The number of different shapes, sizes, and configurations of claimed UFOs has been large, with descriptions of chevrons, equilateral triangles, spheres, domes, diamonds, shapeless black masses, eggs, and cylinders. Skeptics argue this diversity of shapes, size and configurations points to a socio-psychological explanation. Other researchers argue that the large diversity of UFO shapes points to a possible paraphysical origin. Still others argue that there is a large diversity in the shapes and sizes of human flying craft, reflecting different origins, propulsion systems, and purposes, so such diversity in UFOs is not necessarily unexpected or inexplicable..

UFO/OVNI shapes

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Hiya Karl 12,
thank you very much for the endless numbers of fascinating cases you keep bringing here

Originally posted by karl 12
The case becomes more intriguing when it's stated that later that same evening the local sheriff and seven other deputies chased several brightly lit objects down local county roads...

This sounds like a scene of Close Encounters which was released two years later.
Maybe this is where they got the inspiration?
Who knows.

Have a nice day,
derpif

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by derpif

I thought I had heard from someone/somewhere that CE of the 3rd kind was indeed, based on a case from WI. Don't remember where I heard it.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Thank you.
I'll concede that there is indeed a wealth of evidence and correlations indicating a real physical phenomenon.

The psychological-social aspect of this, however, does lend some fascination as there are a large number of cases that conform to this paradigm usually within the rough 95% of reported cases that are a result of misidentification, or ignorance where police chase, or people have 'encounters' with the moon, Venus, a lighthouse, lenticular cloud formations, bolides, or other phenomenon that due to meteorological conditions or lying outside the experience of the witness precipitated the sighting.

When it comes to group sightings, there's the phenomenon of sympathetic collusion where those involved talk among each other, each telling their side, but embroidering their side to fit and support their neighbor's, family's, friend's account, and round robin until everyone has heard each other's story with renewed, collaborative, understanding of what they now all know they saw with corroborating details.
Social alignments self enforce such participants to bolster each other, not out of intentional deception, but out of trust and respect because if Bob says that's what he saw and I saw the same thing, then that's what i saw too, and Bob aint no liar and neither am I.

It's a complex phenomenon where no one answer is going to be the answer. As stated, there's evidence for real physical happenings with radar hits recorded, strange EM phenomenon, and other supporting evidence.
There's also the psych-social factor.
Some cases may be one, or the other, and also in some; both, where an event did occur with 'something' but, human perceptions warped by social influences present might embroider or validate some details where there are none.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The 'fluffed' snow they talk about in the report is odd. Never heard of that before. I wonder how. It seems likely for the snow to be melted in that area but fluffed up, puzzling.
I also found the animal reactions interesting. I've witnessed two orbs that seemed to stir up the animals in my area.
I just love older reports from before the internet. They seem so much more sincere before all of our technology got in the way and clouded the ufo sighting waters.
Thanks for the post! I can't get enough of these old reports!

TXML

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by derpif

Hey my friend, thanks for the kind words and it's not as if there's any shortage of truly interesting and unexplained incidents to discuss
-of course I'm all for genuine scepticism but it sometimes baffles me why many armchair cynics who just pour scorn and derision onto the UFO subject never seem to actualy address some of the more truly puzzling cases (but not to worry).

Easynow once mentioned that good old Mr Spielberg got his inspiration for the Close Encounters police chase from the incident posted about below -it realy is quite a bizarre and fascinating case and the object description and flight characteristics submitted by the police officers involved does make for some very interesting reading, the case even comes complete with yet another incredibly dubious USAF UFO explanation (link).

The Portage County Incident - Object:

"He just stood there with his mouth open for a minute, as bright as it was, and he looked down. And I started looking down and I looked at my hands and my clothes weren't burning or anything, when it stopped right over on top of us.The only thing, the only sound in the whole area was a hum...like a transformer being loaded or an overloaded transformer when it changes....
.... it went PSSSSSHHEW, straight up; and I mean when it went up, friend, it didn't play no games; it went straight up."

Deputy Sheriff Dale Spaur Portage County,Ohio,April 17, 1966
Also witnessed by Deputy Wilbur Neff

*Above BlueBook* - Ohio UFO Chase , Portage County April 17, 1966

Cheers.

reply to post by Druscilla

Druscilla, can't disagree with anything you've said there and appreciate the point you are trying to make -when it comes to the actuality of UFOs I think it's been pretty well established (in certain cases anyway) that these objects are physical in nature and even Dr. Carl Jung made a relevant statement HERE about the subject concerning radar confirmation -granted as you say many incidents may be caused by misidents but there certainly remains quite a large number of extremely compelling UFO cases out there.

I don't know if you're aware of the case and I could be wrong but I've always thought this was an interesting example of consistent eyewitness testimony from Gosford, Australia in 1996, Lowneck has made a great thread about it below and the research he mentions conducted by Moira McGhee is well worth a look.

Gosford NSW multiple witness UFO sightings Dec 30/31 1995

Cheers.
edit on 18-7-2013 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by txMEGAlithic

The Gosford case is one of my all time favorite ufo cases. Unmistakable an entire community witnessed it. Great witness bank.
Love it. Something is up with that.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

The Gosford case is interesting to me as well, I keep thinking back to Ernest Norman's book The Truth About Mars were this Nur El contacted him (if true) and said there is a shortage of water on mars. He stated they have 2000 years left of water on mars. I have to wonder if that large metal sphere is a moveable water testing craft etc.
In the book it was mentioned the martians have to take showers with some type of chemical because water is so precious.

I've seen that video a few years back and thought it was interesting then as well, Just wonder if that time period mars is closest to earth.
edit on 16-4-2012 by thetiler because: trying to articulate better

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Geez Karl, how do you even find all these cases!

One of my greatest UFO research sources is this page right here!

LOL!

Keep up the great work man, it's a blessing to have you here.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by txMEGAlithic
The 'fluffed' snow they talk about in the report is odd. Never heard of that before. I wonder how. It seems likely for the snow to be melted in that area but fluffed up, puzzling.

TxMEGAlithic, thanks for the reply and you're not wrong about the fluffed snow aspect of the case being interesting -there's a database about physical trace cases below and although there's mention of an object landing in snow in Norway it doesn't realy give anymore information.

Physical Evidence - Trace Cases (pdf)

There's also a short article here which goes into a little more detail about the bicycle tracks in the Baker case and the MUFON Skylook journal contains more info on page 11.

SkyLook - MUFON Journal (pdf)

Cheers.

Originally posted by thesearchfortruth

Geez Karl, how do you even find all these cases!

Hey bud, Isaac helped out a lot there.

The most significant collections available include:

(1) NICAP “UFO Investigator” bulletins, at the link on the top of that webpage.

(2) APRO bulletins

(3) MUFON Journals

FAST searching of major free online collections of UFO journals (or just browse/download them)

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparrowstail
reply to post by txMEGAlithic

The Gosford case is one of my all time favorite ufo cases. Unmistakable an entire community witnessed it. Great witness bank.

Love it. Something is up with that.

And mine mate.

Another great witness bank is the Yukon UFO "Mothership" Incident where over 30 eyewitnesses appear to give consistent testimony about a massive UFO over the Klondike Highway in 1996 -I don't know if you've seen it already but Jkrog has authored a very, very good thread about it here.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12
I think I might start calling you "The Case Master". Seems a fitting title. You've given me other links in other threads and I greatly appreciate it. The Yukon UFO Mothership Incident is new to me.
It looks like I've got some reading to do. Many Thanks!
TXML

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Thanks much, as per usual Karl - you are the man -

Loved those In Search Of shows from that era. Pretty much one of the places where it all started for me. I have roots in WI, so that story is extra fun, same with WVA.

Can't get much better than Nimoy either. Right up there with Serling, albeit horses of a different shade, in terms of the shows. Will have to come back for the CE3 bit, as I gotta shut it down for the day.

Thanks again for more great work -

Cheers,
Nexo

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Another great case in the Yukon. Its funny you never hear the debunkers chiming in on the truly great cases like these.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparrowstail

Another great case in the Yukon. Its funny you never hear the debunkers chiming in on the truly great cases like these.

Sparrowstail, I'd certainly say cases like the Edwards Air Force base incident, the Portage County incident, the Tehran incident, the Coyne incident, the Bariloche incident, the Shag Harbour incident, the Minot AFB incident, the Red Bluff incident, the Colares case etc.. deserve serious scientific scrutiny and it's a shame that many of the relevant threads don't seem to get much post traffic from 'debunkers' but Elevenaugust has made a thread here about efforts to explain the 1996 Yukon sightings -Teaandstrumpets also makes some very good points.

Cheers.

Originally posted by nexotop

Can't get much better than Nimoy either. Right up there with Serling, albeit horses of a different shade, in terms of the shows..

Hey Nexo, you're not wrong about Nimoy and Serling my friend -classic stuff.

Here's a good UFO film from Rod in the 1970s and it was said there was Government co-operation at the time as there's a segment filmed inside the Pentagon (it also won a Golden Globe Award in 1974).

Cheers.
edit on 20-5-2013 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Similar object to the Mellen UFO described 11 days earlier in same area:

March 2, 1975; Elmwood, WS

8:00 p.m. A UFO attempted to land in front of a car with the Forster family inside, while the children in the car screamed. The UFO was a disc the size of a car, white in color with lights all around it, and sticklike legs or landing gear. In their panic they repeatedly honked their car horn, which alerted farmer Roger Weber, who came out of his farmhouse and guided the family home. The UFO flew off.

Source: Jay Rath, The W-Files: True Reports of Wisconsin's Unexplained Phenomena.
link

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
New link for removed OP video:

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Videos have been taken down again - here are the new links:

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join