It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Universe Teeming with Life? New Study Suggests BILLIONS of Alien Worlds in Milky Way Galaxy.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by itsJUSTzo
Give me some wisdom newageman, tell me something uplifting

"No eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the mind of man concieved, what God has in store for those who love him."

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I have always been of the opinion that the universe is teeming with life. Even if the conditions for life are rare, with the sheer amount of planets in the universe life must occur relatively often.

Life is accepted to be in two planets in this system: Earth and Mars, with moons of Saturn (Titan and Encoladus) thought to have liquid oceans and possibly complex organisms. If it is in multiple places in a SINGLE solar system, with TRILLIONS or more solar systems in the universe it would be ignorant to even consider we are the only life in the universe.

In my opinion!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Thank you newageman, you always have struck a cord with me. You always give me hope with a few simple words. Thank you

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by BenTFH

The tally for planets in our own galaxy, is anywhere from 160 billion to as many as a TRILLION planets. Planets like ours, brimming with life probably number anywhere from 100 million to 10's of BILLIONS, and that's just one galaxy of 100's of billions of galaxies, and that's just the known universe.

And from what I've been able to gather from what little research I've done for this thread, this conclusion will be PROVEN within the next 10 to 20 years, even if only in the form of an approximation.

New instruments will actually be able to evaluate the atmospheric content of exoplanets which will also prove life.

Proof of life on Mars and/or a moon of Jupiter, will also demonstrate the same thing.

It's a game changer imho. Changes the whole frame of reference and gives us a much better sense for our place in the cosmos as evolved sentients imbued with self-conscious awareness. Makes our present social sphere/matrix appear utterly ridiculous and absurd, and UNREAL, even amuzing if not hilarious.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Well if there are lots of intelligent life, that could be bad for our chances to meet any. They either cannot reach us which would mean we may be stuck here in our own solar system or they are avoiding us for some reason which could also be bad. Univerese is billions of years old so should be plenty of life out there inteligent enough to come here (if it is even possible) or at the very least enough to say hello which would mean they dont want to or cant. Surely they would have detected Earth by now?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Gilbert Levin is not a huckster. There's a strong chance life existed on mars at some point and may exist there right now and that indeed the LR experiment DID detect life. But the LR experiment cannot be relied on. I think that, when it's all said and done, we will discover that there was life on mars but it was utterly destroyed. We will find only small hints of life in our solar system. We will be searching for 150 years to find ET life that exists CURRENTLY before we finally discover it. And when I say ET life i mean life that originated off-earth, not on-earth and then was catapulted off earth by an impact. We will find that only earth-like places can have lots of life and they're very very rare. We will find that life is extremely infrequent, at present, yet is very common across the ages of time.

For this reason we will not find CURRENT intelligent life for a long long long long long long time.

We live in an almost empty universe. Most of the intelligent civilizations destroyed themselves. This will solve fermi's paradox. There're no ET UFOs. But the military has some secret technologies...

We're lucky to be alive. Strangely, we went full circle from earth is the center and to the universe and back. We will rediscover that earth truly is a special place in the universe. It's weird how things work. In this new era coming upon us, we will gain new respect for the deeply religious among us. We will see that they were close to the truth all along in their belief that earth is special and unique. How could we be so foolish and blind? Well, science blinded us and our ego led us astray.

Cosmologists were on the right track when they asked how could the universe have so many factors come into play perfectly to produce the exact chemistry needed for life to exist??

I would love to tell you life is common, but it'd be pure fiction and only for fun.

Mad Max is what this universe is like. It's a vast wasteland with a few hardy souls. We're lucky we haven't bumped into anybody yet because if we did the results can be seen in that movie. Mayhem. Life for some reason hasn't figured out how NOT to destroy itself. But it's good at finding gas.
edit on 15-4-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Hubble Utra Deep Field Image - must see! (breathtaking)

zebu.uoregon.edu...

What's interesting here, is that photo was from one tiny grain-sized space of what otherwise appeared to be nothing where there were no stars or galaxies visable (by prior earth based viewing).

Edit to Add: Remember, each dot of light in the photo, is an entire galaxy (3000 total).

edit on 16-4-2012 by NewAgeMan because: edit

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

How many life sustaining and habitable worlds are there?

According to the recent understanding along the lines outlined in the OP, there are anywhere between

200 billion TRILLION - to two trillion trillion such planets in the known universe.

I'll come back and post the math to support this, and to show that it's a relatively conservative estimate at that, pegging the number of such planets in each galaxy between 1 and 10 million, with there being 200 billion galaxies (approx) in the known universe.

That's 2 followed by 18, or 17 zeros if you would rather take the conservative estimate of only 1 million such worlds, ave, in each galaxy, on average, instead of 10 million (18 zeros), when it's quite possible they number in the billions (add 4 more zeros for 100 million and then to a billion) per galaxy, especially when moons are included as planetary bodies some of which are capable of "housing" life.

Doesn't matter how you slice and dice these kinds of numbers, either way the number is incredibly HUGE!

edit on 18-4-2012 by NewAgeMan because: photo added

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
They look something like this

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e38e75cc54f8.jpg[/atsimg]

except they are anywhere from one to ten times larger.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
everyone's like... no comment.

I know how you feel!

It's insane, every grain of sand-sized pinhead of space, all around the earth, whether day or night - is filled with wonders of which we cannot presently imagine, and in numbers which themselves defy immediatecomprehension. All around, happening, now. It doesn't matter how long the light has taken to travel here, it's still happening, all of it (whatever it may be), RIGHT NOW!

It's crazy, unimaginable, while beconing the imagination to tentatively explore its infinite wonder.

Since making this thread I've been in a state of continual wonderment and awe at this thing we call life, and it looks like it just got a whole lot bigger, to the nth degree. It changes the frame of reference, even though it presents itself in the domain of an unknown.

I can't WAIT for the science to burst forth on this issue, and for the MSM to run with it - while Johnny Sixpack suddenly sits bolt upright, and has an epiphany!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
How many life sustaining and habitable worlds are there?

My math was off by three zero's.

For one million to ten million such worlds in each galaxy ave, the number is "only"

2-20 Billion Trillion,

not 200 Billion Trillion to 2 Trillion Trillion.

Sorry.

edit on 20-4-2012 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Wrong again! Argh.

For a range of 1,000,000 to 100,000,000 in each galaxy (in truth there could be over a billion per)

the number range IS:

200,000 TRILLION to 20 Million, Trillion, in the known universe (with approx 200 billion galxies).

I'm going to do a thread on this, looking at average relative galactic size, the whole bit, then take a conservative number, cut that in half, and then see what only 1% of 1% yeilds in search of a reasonable range for not just life sustaining planets, but living worlds inhabited with the kind of life we know here on earth.

Such an evaluative process was not possible 20 years ago, not even 10 years ago, but it's becoming possible now, and will become ever more precise over the course of the next 10-20 years.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join