It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's biggest civilian earth-observing satellite falls silent - and engineers scramble to regain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

World's biggest civilian earth-observing satellite falls silent

www.dailymail.co.uk

The largest civilian Earth-observing satellite has fallen silent - and an engineering team is scrambling to fix a craft that has orbited Earth 50,000 times.

The satellite failed to radio to its controllers on April 8 - and a team of engineers, scientists and mission operators are now attempting to restore contact with the satellite.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... ct-tonne-orbiter.html#ixzz1ruufTbsm
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 13-4-2012 by Mister1k because: (no reason given)

MOds fix that title for me can yah.
edit on 13-4-2012 by Mister1k because: title

edit on 13-4-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
What did Major Danes say about satellites falling from the sky? Lost Contact of 8 tonnes of scrap metal apparently. Who's head is that gonna land on?? Was it the Ghost CME that created so much havoc?? Its probably Burnt toast from here on out.
The largest civilian Earth-observing satellite has fallen silent Great.,,

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
you should fix the title

so how big is this? how much does it weigh?

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Have just been looking at what it actually does and found out that it's due to start being replaced next year anyway, despite what happens to it. (hopefully it won't land on any of our heads...) It's being replaced by these : Sentinel (satellite)

ESA's Sentinel satellites

And you can edit your own title as long as you have time left, you probably just need to shorten the actual headline a bit.

edit on 13-4-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mister1k
What did Major Danes say about satellites falling from the sky? Lost Contact of 8 tonnes of scrap metal apparently. Who's head is that gonna land on??

As soon as I started reading the article I knew that somebody would start talking about it falling from the sky.
Some people cant tell the difference between a radio not working and a change of orbit.
Or maybe some people just cant resist a pointlessly sensationalist doomsday scenario.

For what its worth, you can see Envisat for yourself.
At heavens-above, that satellite is one of the featured ones because it is so big. If it moves from its normal path, anyone of you ordinary citizens could tell.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
How do they figure this is a civilian satellite when the article then says it is monitored by the ESA.

'After 10 years of service, Envisat has stopped sending data to Earth. ESA's mission control is working to re-establish contact with the satellite,' says the European Space Agency.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... ct-tonne-orbiter.html#ixzz1rvLKoZ9c

And it is going to be replaced by another ESA satellite.

Also Wiki clearly states;

Envisat ("Environmental Satellite") is an Earth-observing satellite. It was launched on 1 March 2002 aboard an Ariane 5 from the Guyana Space Centre in Kourou, French Guyana into a Sun synchronous polar orbit at an altitude of 790 km (490 mi) (± 10 km (6.2 mi)). It orbits the Earth in about 101 minutes with a repeat cycle of 35 days.
This €2.3 billion European Space Agency (ESA) programme launched the largest Earth observation satellite put into space (as of late 2006)

The European Space Agency (ESA) (French: l' Agence spatiale européenne) (ASE), established in 1975, is an intergovernmental organisation dedicated to the exploration of space, currently with 19 member states.

What is the point of calling it a civilian craft? Is it to imply it is not strictly military?

I think my TV is linked to more of a civilian satellite than this one.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
With my tin foil hat wedged firmly in place part of this quote really jumped out at me

The satellite's information is used daily to monitor for oil spills at sea, to check on iceberg hazards, and to provide information for meteorological forecasts, among a wide range of services.

BBC article

edit on 13/4/12 by yellowbeard because: finish post 'cos I hit reply instead of preview

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

ESA regulates space, that way things don't crash into each other.

When I had my bar the state didn't own it, but they regulated it.

Same deal here.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Mister1k

Perhaps it grew a mind of it's own...out there with the stars, away from all the helter skelter. I don't think I'd call home either.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

I thought that all these satellites needed to be orbit adjusted periodically. No matter, I'm more interested in its pictorals of the gulf of Mexico, and what speciality it might have there.

www.esa.int...
edit on 13-4-2012 by smurfy because: Link.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by yellowbeard
With my tin foil hat wedged firmly in place part of this quote really jumped out at me

The satellite's information is used daily to monitor for oil spills at sea, to check on iceberg hazards, and to provide information for meteorological forecasts, among a wide range of services.

BBC article

edit on 13/4/12 by yellowbeard because: finish post 'cos I hit reply instead of preview

I'm there also Beardy,

WUWT is having a go too, wattsupwiththat.com...

Those guys are not so soft, and are not so much tin-foil hat as hard headed. To be sure Envisat has had a double life, and most likely a shill will appear emphasising that, (well maybe not now) but if you read the link, there is once again a gerrymandering of sea temperature. You can read Steve Goddards postings here,

www.real-science.com...

Now, while this gerrymander has been going on for some time, Dr Gianluigi Zangari, (who predicted precisely the Northern Europe extreme low temperature, winter weather in 2010 due to the gulf oil spill stopping the gulf stream et al) was vociferous in saying that the satellite charts he used were later also altered, and on his site he has the the charts he used.
edit on 13-4-2012 by smurfy because: Text/link.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy

Originally posted by yellowbeard

BBC article

I'm there also Beardy,

WUWT is having a go too, wattsupwiththat.com...

Those guys are not so soft, and are not so much tin-foil hat as hard headed. To be sure Envisat has had a double life, and most likely a shill will appear emphasising that, (well maybe not now) but if you read the link, there is once again a gerrymandering of sea temperature. You can read Steve Goddards postings here,

www.real-science.com...

Now, while this gerrymander has been going on for some time, Dr Gianluigi Zangari, (who predicted precisely the Northern Europe extreme low temperature, winter weather in 2010 due to the gulf oil spill stopping the gulf stream et al) was vociferous in saying that the satellite charts he used were later also altered, and on his site he has the the charts he used.
edit on 13-4-2012 by smurfy because: Text/link.

I'm thinking the same things as you..... When I read this, my very first thought was "oh, how convenient for them.."

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
maybe its this?

Rt.news

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Hmmm, there was an odd report about a greenish glowing UFO that came down in the area of Bantam Lake in the Litchfield area oc CT.

It was spotted by a State Trouper, and one other.

It was reported to be as large as a whale. Maybe it's our missing sat?

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ctdannyd
Hmmm, there was an odd report about a greenish glowing UFO that came down in the area of Bantam Lake in the Litchfield area oc CT.

It was spotted by a State Trouper, and one other.

It was reported to be as large as a whale. Maybe it's our missing sat?

Did you even read the article?

It's not missing, it's right where it has been for years, in orbit.

They lost communication.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mister1k

The largest civilian Earth-observing satellite has fallen silent Great.,,

You're welcome.
Just another day at the office. Besides which, I never did like communication that didn't serve greater purposes anyway. JT knows

Monitor oil spills my a**.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Loosing contact with a satellite is different than it just mysteriously falling out of the sky unannounced, to de-orbit from the altitude that satellite is at, it would take some time.

edit on 4/13/2012 by RyanFromCan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by KingJod
maybe its this?

Rt.news

Did anyone else think of the Tunguska Event when they read this post and related link?

Tunguska Event

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Mister1k

What's a ghost CME?

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
A CME would explain...possibly, the lights, but it would not explain the explosion heard. There is a possibility that a loud explosion type noise was coincidentally heard at the same time as the light(s) were seen.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join