It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Equipment Feedback Survey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
When it comes to survival equipment, for those that are really into this can you please answer a few feedback questions:

1. Do you prefer light (10 lbs and under) over heavy (11-20 lbs)?

2. What if the difference between light and heavy is the difference between a product that won't last that long or one over built guarenteed to last forever and a day?

3. What if the cost of the light unit (due to different alloys) meant a substantial price increase over the heavier unit?

4. Because of the nature of the product, it will require a carry bag. Do you prefer a simple carry bag, custom fit, or would a mil spec backpack that offers additional pockets, but perhaps not custome fit be more desirable?

Your feedback is appreciated. Those that respond will be eligible for a 10% discount once the product is online and moved from prototype status. Thank you.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I would really need more information. What does the product do? I try to stay light for my BOB, my whole bag with everything I need for 3-7 days is less than 25 lbs.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
I would really need more information. What does the product do? I try to stay light for my BOB, my whole bag with everything I need for 3-7 days is less than 25 lbs.

Heat/cooking unit - very unique though - pretty much bullet proof.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
There's always a market for outdoors items that save substantially on weight or volume.
Maybe as much as 200% price increase for a truly better item would worth the extra cost for serious campers and survivalists.
Make sure you research the market to make sure that such an item doesn't already exist.
Patent searches can be very expensive.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by pityocamptes

What I use for cooking in my BOB weighs ounces, not pounds. It would likely need to be very light weight and small.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
There's always a market for outdoors items that save substantially on weight or volume.
Maybe as much as 200% price increase for a truly better item would worth the extra cost for serious campers and survivalists.
Make sure you research the market to make sure that such an item doesn't already exist.
Patent searches can be very expensive.

Thanks. Actually this design does not exit. Patent is almost through. So, the general consensus is that bullet proof but heavy ~16.2 lbs is NOT better than light - perhaps about ~12 lbs, but made from a lighter, softer alloy material and MORE expensive? The problem I am running into is that the alloy material is going to be very expensive over the non alloy unit - my fear is that although the lighter unit may be lighter, it may not fair well economically based on a significant price increase. Hmmmm....

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

What I use for cooking in my BOB weighs ounces, not pounds. It would likely need to be very light weight and small.

True, but what is the durability and longevity factor? Plus can it boil water under 2 min?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

True, but what is the durability and longevity factor? Plus can it boil water under 2 min?
Longevity factor, I have had it for over 20 years. Boil in 2 minutes? No, but if I have the time to stop and cook that isn't an issue to me. Maybe for others?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Longevity factor, I have had it for over 20 years. Boil in 2 minutes? No, but if I have the time to stop and cook that isn't an issue to me. Maybe for others?

Thanks for the feedback. May have to re-evaluate the weight issue and go with an alloy.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
11-20 lbs is considered heavy?
Is that just based off the average person?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte
I am considering the weight of everything in my BOB, not just one item.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte

In my opinion it is not, but depends on what everyone is packing
A mil backback weighs 80+ lbs, and I've carried more than that, just trying to get some honest feedback from differing peoples. Thanks!

OK, so now that some have touched on the weight issue, how about the other issues or questions asked? Trying to get an overall feel...
edit on 11-4-2012 by pityocamptes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
There are so many stoves under 3 pounds already.

But is this designed to be at location rather than packed ?

Then it might be an option.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
This item doesn't sound like something that would appeal to folks assembling a BOB (Bug Out Bag).
Sounds more like a piece of camping equipment, and if so, then the heavier weight isn't really that much of an issue.

As another said, cooking items in his BOB are ounces, not pounds, and I'm right there with him.
However, a durable, long-lasting cooking item that is revolutionary, and even at the high end of your weight scale, sounds excellent when marketing to the camping/RV/canoeing/hunting crowd.

Perhaps the issue isn't weight, but targeted demographic? Granted, we don't know a lot of details about the product, so I can only go off what we've heard.

The other angle is for the prepper, as weight isn't as big an issue with a home item, that isn't gas or electric dependent.

Free advice from an MBA....

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
This item doesn't sound like something that would appeal to folks assembling a BOB (Bug Out Bag).
Sounds more like a piece of camping equipment, and if so, then the heavier weight isn't really that much of an issue.

As another said, cooking items in his BOB are ounces, not pounds, and I'm right there with him.
However, a durable, long-lasting cooking item that is revolutionary, and even at the high end of your weight scale, sounds excellent when marketing to the camping/RV/canoeing/hunting crowd.

Perhaps the issue isn't weight, but targeted demographic? Granted, we don't know a lot of details about the product, so I can only go off what we've heard.

The other angle is for the prepper, as weight isn't as big an issue with a home item, that isn't gas or electric dependent.

Free advice from an MBA....

Very nice. Thanks for the feedback. I may go with two designs - the original (heavier item) as you mention, and then an ultra light unit for BoB's. Hey thanks again I really appreciate it. As an MBA do you do any confidential consulting work? If so cost? Thanks again!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

I pretty much have a 9-5 job, so no, no consulting at the present.
However, if you can deal with me replying to U2Us on my own time, at my own availability, I'd be happy to offer some advice if you like. Just keep in mind, it will only be based on whatever information you share, so you'll have to take that in consideration. I can certainly understand why you'd want to keep information close to the vest...so just tell me what you think would help me offer the best advice.

If truly revolutionary, it would seem that THAT would be your main selling point versus size/weight, etc.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Just keep in mind that you can make a jerry rigged solar stove at 2 pounds or less that can cook a full sized chicken or small ham. It does require a lot of space though, which is why I have the materials in my van but not my BOB. Of course, my van IS my first BOB, the pack is second line meant for use with an 18 speed mountain bike.

new topics

top topics

join