It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prison officer bashes inmate after being spat on

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by hanyak69
reply to post by jerryznv

I was getting my point across. Luckily you were in a softball prison...lol
Glad your out just don't go back.

I can understand you getting your point across...and I shall refer to your post in all matters of authority...you can't help the fact you were trained that way!

It is becoming all to common for police, guards, etc...no instinctively think that way..."any and all consequences"!

As far as a softball prison...
...ya whatever!

I think that a professionally trained correctional officer (or jailer) could and should have acted differently!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

reply to post by TinkerHaus

I never had to beat an inmate ( the guards actions were not justified) most altercations last only a few seconds.
The first thing we were taught if you can walk away then walk away.

And that's all I'm saying - this guard handled the situation poorly and should be expected to do so again in the future.

The prisoner was in the wrong too, but in the US we don't deal with crime by immediately beating the guy down - we have them arrested and file charges against them, and the courts decide the appropriate punishment.

This cop attempted to deliver instant justice - and while I could forgive your average citizen for this I cannot forgive a correctional officer who should have known better.

Very well put!

Stars for you...you nailed what I have been trying to say throughout this thread!

Well done!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I agree on the one instance here but people demonize CO's when something like this is done. Most CO's are not like this idiot.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I agree on the one instance here but people demonize CO's when something like this is done. Most CO's are not like this idiot.

And I think that most CO's are just like this idiot!

Having served time in different prisons...I offer up that this type of mentality is more common than not!

I have been in the Sargent's office when the CO's are having a good laugh over torturing some inmate for one reason or another!

You might be able to proudly say that you don't have that mentality (and I would challenge that with your "any and all" post)...but as for the profession as a whole...this is not uncommon thinking at all!
edit on 10-4-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
We all know what the prison guard did was wrong. But if someone did that to me I would WANT to do that. Now, I've always been taught that 2 wrongs don't make a right and I truly live by that as much as I can.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Don't see the problem with the guards reaction. Guards are not allowed access to an inmates medical history, so how does the guard know the mutt doesn't have aids, or some other nasty stuff.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The US Prison System is completely broken. It just doesn't accomplish anything unless the experience of living in such a horrible place makes someone decide crime isn't worth it. This is nothing more than traditional, middle ages punishment on par with chopping off a hand for stealing.

I'm very conservative when it comes to criminal justice, I want to see criminals who use violence locked up until they are no longer a threat, not released to make room for more non violent criminals. The prison system has become a zoo, however and the inmates respond by acting like animals. It's now extremely common for inmates to spit or throw bodily fluids at each other or the guards. The punishment for doing this is a private cell and maybe some additional time. For most inmates this does not seem to be a deterrent.

There are certain lines you just don't cross without risking your own well being and standing a high likelihood of a violent response. This is one of those acts. While it's not right for the guard to beat the inmate to death as a response we as a society need to allow for the fact that expecting these men and women to tolerate this type of attack day after day for years on end is not going to result in calm, non violent reactions every time. What I find really ironic is that the guard is facing more jail time for an assault than a prisoner would be facing for the exact same thing.

This is one of those situations where neither the left nor the right seems to have the right answers. We need a new system of criminal justice, that's obvious. We need to rehabilitate criminals or make sure they are never free to hurt anyone again. I'm not sure how to go about accomplishing that, really.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I have no problem with him giving him a good punch in the face. But repeated punches is just letting your emotions getting the better of you. When you're guarding potentially dangerous criminals, that's not the kind of man that you need to have on board. At the very least, he needs to be let go. Whether charges should be filed is something that I'm not really sure about. Depends on just how bad the injuries were.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
oh and the bleeding hearts come out of course

he spat on the man. He deserved to be beat up. It is that simple.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Thou dost assume much ... my any and all statement appearantly needs some explaination.. What I meant was offenders know the Officers mentality. Each officer handles things differently and inmates know this and try to exploit them to their advantage. It is a mental chess game and sometimes people break. In my experience there are good officers and there are cooler jockeys. Good officers are referred to as police, bad officers are referred to as robocop and are usually covering up for being crooked. Then there is "freindlies " who let the inmates walk all over them aqnd are not respected by either side.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
What if that inmate molested a child or assaulted a woman? What would you say then? I have no problem with this. The inmate sealed his fate by starting it with the spitting.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
There's this wild idea called accountability for ones actions. Spitting on someones face isn't anything like slapping or throwing profanity at someone. The prisoner knew exactly what he was doing, and got what he deserved.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

And I think that most CO's are just like this idiot!

Having served time in different prisons...I offer up that this type of mentality is more common than not!

Now I understand why your reasoning is flawed. You brag about being in prison(s). Most people would be ashamed.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Sounds like that guard got spit on just one time too many. Had this been handled quietly and out of the view of present and future inmates, the action might have served a purpose to deter future spitter attacks. As it is, the opposite reaction will likely encourage MORE of them. Heck... Why not? Spit on a guard....take the beating...then watch that guard lose his career. Many prisoners would come to see that as a sport to compete in, I'm thinking.

If the guard was going to take a prosecution ANYWAY...and the possibility of Hep. C as a gift from this scumbag, it's a real shame he didn't go much further and carry the lesson to far greater levels. Heck, the same charge probably left a lot of room for more to earn it without bumping up. What a shame.

For inmates though...what do people expect to see happen?? If you deliberately spit right square in the face of the authority figure who essentially controls your every waking moment, would you expect a hug in return? The guy went looking for trouble....found it....and lost. It probably could and should have ended right there.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
inmate deserved it if you ask me. What do they think would happen if you spit in an officer's face?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
those were love taps.

if that was a hockey game, the prisoner would have been booed off the ice for turtling.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Nite_wing

Now I understand why your reasoning is flawed. You brag about being in prison(s). Most people would be ashamed.

Well I am not most people...and I was hardly bragging!

For the life of me...I can't figure out why your reasoning is flawed!

What's your excuse?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
For those of you standing up for this guy, that's ridiculous.the guy that spit was wrong but the pig could of just spit back on him. I woulda beat the piss out of him myself, but I wouldn't be crying about the possible jail time. As they say...don't do the CRIME if you can't do the time. Hope he gets slammed with 2 years just to taste what it's like on the other side and see what it feels like from the point of view of the people he's abused in his life.

LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fact is these people working in law enfocement and corrections are actually worse and more deceitful than criminals for the fact that they use the system to their advantage.

They manipulate the laws and oaths they took for their own twisted desires. These people are trained in the law and know the law yet use that knowledge corruptly. Most criminals as you would call them aren't criminals but arrested for petty nonsense so these scum can make quotas and move up in the ranks.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Revealation

I really don't think it's a matter of sticking up for the cop per say, although I also would have like to do the same thing.

I think it's flat out getting sick and tired of human beings choosing to behave like filthy animals. If they want to act it, they can be treated like it. We've all been treated to quite a few examples of some of the most disgusting behavior in examples like this and protests as well as other contexts in just the last several months. I'm surprised it's taking this long in general, but the public was bound to just get sick of it eventually. That is why I have absolutely 0 sympathy for the spitter.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Revealation

It may seem as simple as spitting but the officer can contract Hep C from the inmate. Hep C can be lethal and its a long brutal death.
So yea, a person purposely tries to give me Hep C or any other disease, they will be lucky if they walk again.
edit on 11-4-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join