It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima Daiichi Site: Cesium-137 is 85 times greater than at Chernobyl Accident

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Japan’s former Ambassador to Switzerland, Mr. Mitsuhei Murata, was invited to speak at the Public Hearing of the Budgetary Committee of the House of Councilors on March 22, 2012, on the Fukushima nuclear power plants accident. Before the Committee, Ambassador Murata strongly stated that if the crippled building of reactor unit 4—with 1,535 fuel rods in the spent fuel pool 100 feet (30 meters) above the ground—collapses, not only will it cause a shutdown of all six reactors but will also affect the common spent fuel pool containing 6,375 fuel rods, located some 50 meters from reactor 4. In both cases the radioactive rods are not protected by a containment vessel; dangerously, they are open to the air. This would certainly cause a global catastrophe like we have never before experienced. He stressed that the responsibility of Japan to the rest of the world is immeasurable. Such a catastrophe would affect us all for centuries. Ambassador Murata informed us that the total numbers of the spent fuel rods at the Fukushima Daiichi site excluding the rods in the pressure vessel is 11,421

akiomatsumura.com...

85% times greater than Chernobyl and still going to be getting worse as all six reactors will go down eventually with one that has 6,375 spent fuel rods in it and yet nothing on TV warning people. People in Japan aren't hearing the truth and won't before it's too late as the effect are already being seen and covered up as well as reports of still birth and deformations are coming in.

I asked top spent-fuel pools expert Mr. Robert Alvarez, former Senior Policy Adviser to the Secretary and Deputy Assistant Secretary for National Security and the Environment at the U.S. Department of Energy, for an explanation of the potential impact of the 11,421 rods.

edit on 9-4-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
And could this number actually be a lot higher... especially if we consider the massive numerical error being commonly sited about the CSFP, mentioned just recently in the mega thread?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Please modify your headline. Fukushima CAN be 85x worse in respect of Cesium 137 than Chernobyl if SFP r.4 collapse. I'm afraid that there is no possibility to compare Fukushima to Chernobyl because we do not have enough data thanks to TEPCO, Japanese and USA government, military cliques of both states and UN/IEAE. We have not sufficient data for any "hard core" conclusions in field of tens of transuranic elements developed during work time of reactors and subsequent melt through of cores.
What should be also said: there is not "1,535 fuel rods" but 1,535 assemblies of fuel rods consisting of cca 90 fuel rods each in SFP of reactor building No. 4: 460 tons of highly volatile mix of s..t.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by JanAmosComenius
Please modify your headline. Fukushima CAN be 85x worse in respect of Cesium 137 than Chernobyl if SFP r.4 collapse. I'm afraid that there is no possibility to compare Fukushima to Chernobyl because we do not have enough data thanks to TEPCO, Japanese and USA government, military cliques of both states and UN/IEAE. We have not sufficient data for any "hard core" conclusions in field of tens of transuranic elements developed during work time of reactors and subsequent melt through of cores.
What should be also said: there is not "1,535 fuel rods" but 1,535 assemblies of fuel rods consisting of cca 90 fuel rods each in SFP of reactor building No. 4: 460 tons of highly volatile mix of s..t.

The title comes from Akio Matsumura's site here: akiomatsumura.com... the title is the same as the article that is the source. If you would like the title changed contact Akio Matsumura @ akiomatsumura.com...

If your waiting for TEPCO to tell you everything is going to S*** your gonna be waiting a while and hopefully your not in Japan as waiting for TEPCO to tell you things are bad will be a death sentence to those in Japan near Fukashima that stay.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
The solution is very simple. Helicopter concrete & steel to where the fuel tube building is leaning, and you will have problem solved within weeks. There are plenty of Patriotic Japanese willing to risk their lives, and elderly are much less affected by radiation anyway (owing to much slower cell division).
Why this is not being done is beyond me? Something about Fukushima seems beyond manslaughter, and more like a deliberate conspiracy.

They also need to build a replacement pool, and I've heard nothing about them doing this. Perhaps they intend to deliberately let the old pool collapse, catch on fire, and that's why they are not building a new fuel tube (i.e. they figure they won't need). Fukushima is the accident that should never happened, caused by a TEPCO company that should never have been allowed to operate a gas plant -let alone a nuclear one!
edit on 090705 by Liberal1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by PageAlaCearl
The title comes from Akio Matsumura's site here: akiomatsumura.com... the title is the same as the article that is the source. If you would like the title changed contact Akio Matsumura @ akiomatsumura.com...

If your waiting for TEPCO to tell you everything is going to S*** your gonna be waiting a while and hopefully your not in Japan as waiting for TEPCO to tell you things are bad will be a death sentence to those in Japan near Fukashima that stay.

OK. I just pointed out that the title is inaccurate.
I'm not waiting for any data from TEPCO. Their data are fog and smoke and nothing more. Data released by TEPCO and Jap. gov. have only reason: obfuscate real (bad, Bad, BAD) situation at ground zero and vast segments of Japan. Terrible structural shape of RB4 and its SFP + dangers connected with collapse were discussed many times in ATS Fukushima monster thread.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl

We are well aware of the Situation of the Fuel Pools,
we know this danger already since many Months,
to write that in Japan No-One know this danger is wrong,
Tepco released this Statement on the 5th of April:

Reactor buildings will not collapse even if earthquake with the same scale as that of Tohoku - Pacific Ocean Earthquake occurs again.

At 11:04 pm on April 1, a 5.9-magnitude earthquake centered in the coast of Fukushima Prefecture occurred. Hama-dori of Fukusihma Prefecture registerd intensity 5 lower on the Japanese seismic (intensity) scale of 7. No abnormalities were detected at facilities for water injection into the reactors, nitrogen gas injection, cooling of spent fuel pool, and the treatment of highly contaminated water at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station.

They all operate normally after the quake. As for the degree of the shake of the reactor buildings, Unit 6's reactor building's foundation registered 40.7 gal in horizontal direction and 19.4 gal in vertical direction. We, TEPCO, evaluates earthquake-proof safety by developing Design Basis Earthquake Ground Motion Ss as large-scale quake which would possibly occur in future.

For example, the degree of shake of Unit 6's reactor building's foundation against the Design Basis Earthquake Ground Motion is 448 gal in horizontal direction and 415 gal in vertical direction (, which is around 10 times large in horizontal way and around 20 times large in vertical way compared with the quake occurred on April 1, 2012). We assess that the level of this Design Basis Earthquake Ground Motion is almost same as the one recorded for the Tohoku - Pacific Ocean Earthquake.

Based on the Motion, we simulated the damaged situation of the current reactor buildings of Unit 1 to 4, having implemented quake response analysis for the reactor buildings as well as equipments and pipes which are important in terms of safety. As a result, we confirmed that there are no negative signal, such as shear/ twist of quake-proof walls of buildings, the fact that the stress of facilities/ piping lowers the standard value, and the fact that buildings collapse and facilities/ piping lose their functions.

www.tepco.co.jp

I do not know how well Tepco worked but the other Press Releases regarding the Fuel Pool Nr. 4 looks
not that bad, in theory the Fuel Pool must be even more stable than before 03/11!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Your blindness really astonishes me, but each its own, enjoy your FUBAR japan...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984
The solution is very simple. Helicopter concrete & steel to where the fuel tube building is leaning, and you will have problem solved within weeks. There are plenty of Patriotic Japanese willing to risk their lives, and elderly are much less affected by radiation anyway (owing to much slower cell division).
Why this is not being done is beyond me? Something about Fukushima seems beyond manslaughter, and more like a deliberate conspiracy.

They also need to build a replacement pool, and I've heard nothing about them doing this. Perhaps they intend to deliberately let the old pool collapse, catch on fire, and that's why they are not building a new fuel tube (i.e. they figure they won't need). Fukushima is the accident that should never happened, caused by a TEPCO company that should never have been allowed to operate a gas plant -let alone a nuclear one!
edit on 090705 by Liberal1984 because: (no reason given)

oh c'mon...look at all those well-paying jobs that has been created by this corporation (tepco)...just because it happens to be radiating the earth means that the western world does not have to worry about paying for old age security or social security. our lives will be shortened to the point that this whole massive global debt will quickly and efficiently come under control.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juanxlink
reply to post by Human0815

Your blindness really astonishes me, but each its own, enjoy your FUBAR japan...

Human's view is not as dark as many of us entertain. Still, to call him blind is not fair. Study Fukushima monster thread and you will realize it.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Wow, I can't believe this only has six (now 7) flags. This is a potential E.L.E. and here it sits collecting dust.

On a related note, (not that I think it would get many flags since this story is actually better than the one I found) it would seem that they are taking your advice.

Japan building 88km wall around Fukishima evac zone

If you want to post it, and write about it as a separate story, feel free. I'm more flabbergasted at the lack of response more than the story now.

Weird I know.
edit on 11-4-2012 by schadenfreude because: typo in link source

edit on 11-4-2012 by schadenfreude because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by schadenfreude

Agreed, there is so much to tell that hasn't been told, I saw today an article about the San Fran Milk being 2x almost double EPA’s maximum contaminant level for Cesium-137.
enenews.com...

Professor Hayakawa went to Koriyama City in Fukushima Prefecture and walked in Kaiseiyama Park right near the City Hall. Compared to his walk in Edogawa-ku, Tokyo on the previous day, the radiation levels in Koriyama City is markedly higher (no surprise).

ex-skf.blogspot.com...

Even more recent........

I've posted many threads about this travesty not being told and so sad as everyone in this world will be affected by this.
edit on 11-4-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I think one of the greatest Problems is that the both Group do not talk together,
The Pro- and the Anti-Nuclear People need to sit on one Table and not separated by Dogma!

Both Groups just stay inside of their own tiny Cocoon without seeing the whole.

Many of the Pro-Nuke People do not understand that they need Eon's for the Waste
and many Anti-Nuke People do not understand the danger of Radioactive Materials,
they just think "No" which is in a way right but also very shortsighted!

Both Groups need a permanent Exchange of Thoughts and most important
without any form of Mind-Games!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by JanAmosComenius

Would you care to explain the difference about these assemblies, ir that there was even any assemblies mentioned by the ambassador? Or should I use my google-fu instead?

I tried looking through that monster thread link you posted, and to be honest I don't have two hours I can widdle away looking for relevant info, let alone sorting out which is true and which is hype/hogwash, but I am interested if this is just fear mongering as I feel a personal responsibility in discerning between the two, thanks.

Seriously.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Here's some more info for your thread -

The Fukushima Nuclear Disaster Is Far From Over

• Nearly all of the 10,893 spent fuel assemblies sit in pools vulnerable to future earthquakes, with roughly 85 times more long-lived radioactivity than released at Chernobyl

• Several pools are 100 feet above the ground and are completely open to the atmosphere because the reactor buildings were demolished by explosions. The pools could possibly topple or collapse from structural damage coupled with another powerful earthquake.

• The loss of water exposing the spent fuel will result in overheating and can cause melting and ignite its zirconium metal cladding resulting in a fire that could deposit large amounts of radioactive materials over hundreds, if not thousands of miles.

This was not lost on Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR), who after visiting the site on April 6, wrote to Japan's U.S. ambassador, Ichiro Fujusaki, that "loss of containment in any of these pools... could result an even larger release of radiation than the nuclear accident."

Earlier I read the ramifications to another large earthquake in this region resulting in more damage would surely promise a complete 'meltdown'.

So - if this is the case? We're through.

??

peace

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Also:
Is Fukushima’s Doomsday Machine About To Blow?

April 20, 2012

Mounting troubles at Japan’s hobbled Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear power plant now pose a real threat to human survival. If the area in which Unit 4 is struck by another 7.0 magnitude earthquake, there’s a 70 percent chance that “the entire fuel pool structure will collapse” and massive doses of lethal nuclear radiation will be released into the atmosphere. The disaster would release approximately “134 million curies is Cesium-137 — roughly 85 times the amount of Cs-137 released at Chernobyl as estimated by the U.S. National Council on Radiation Protection (NCRP).” Experts believe that the amounts are sufficient to “destroy the world environment and our civilization”, which makes containment “an issue of human survival.” (“The Greatest Single Threat to Humanity: Fuel Pool Number 4″, Washington’s blog)

This can't be all fear mongering?

There is no way to overstate the media’s complicity in concealing critical information about the tragedy that is presently unfolding at Fukushima. If there is another earthquake, the media will certainly be every bit as responsible as the government officials who saw the danger, but chose to do nothing.

If an earthquake hits and undermines the pool, the coolant will exit the pool, the rods will melt and radioactive plumes will rise into the atmosphere. Koide explained that the rods could not be safely removed from the existing pool because “if you hoist them up in the air, huge amount of radiation will come out from the spent fuel and people nearby will die.”

One of the journalists on “Morning Bird” asked Koide what would happen if the Unit was struck by another earthquake?

Koide answered, “That will be the end.”

“The end,” the journalist asked, visibly shaken?

“The end,” Koide repeated emphatically.

The end... ???

peace

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I have to say I honestly just don't get why this thread is getting SO LITTLE NOTICE.

It's like I get a visual of everyone who reading the thread's title in the 'line' of index immediately close their eyes, stick their fingers in their ears and start yelling 'blahblahblahblahblah'...

Is this just NOT troubling anyone???

peace

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
I have to say I honestly just don't get why this thread is getting SO LITTLE NOTICE.

It's like I get a visual of everyone who reading the thread's title in the 'line' of index immediately close their eyes, stick their fingers in their ears and start yelling 'blahblahblahblahblah'...

Is this just NOT troubling anyone???

peace

Yes, I'm troubled.

We must be reciprocating back to the nuclear industry all the listening skills they utilized when we wanted hard facts concerning safety vs practicality. We weren't given the facts then, and now that the facts are so grim, we wish we could bury our heads in the sand. That is alot easier than finding any real solutions at this point.

At this point there are only consequences to come face to face with...

top topics

join