It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a fair sum of money and want to use it wisely in regard to the soon to be financial collapse?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by celerygeneral

Oh, missed one of the points of your response... I have plans regarding ONE YEAR of time, September 2012-August 2013. The upfront cost of the trip (already paid) $15,500 covers all my travel, food, and contacts. So, yes, I would still like advice regarding the rest of my funds/time. And no, I didn't ask the questions and then tell everyone what I planned to do. I only mentioned the trip because it's relevant that I will have exposure and contacts in these countries, and that I will be away from the United States for the given time.

Sheesh, people are very rash sometimes...

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
you could always donate some of that money to various charities. unicef comes to mind. salvation army and goodwill also do great things for the community. ymca boys and girls clubs help to give structure and care to many deserving children. you are articulate and intelligent, with world experience. use your money to impact as many lives for the better.
this life will come and go. you already know how precious life is, and how quickly it can be taken away. our lives won't last forever. do some real tangible good with it. if the world goes nuts this year, well, you spent it well. and if the world continues along this same path for the next 100 years, you spent it well.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!! sorry for the caps, but that's what I was looking for! Something I hadn't even considered... A boat. Oh wow... you just opened up another world to me lol. I'll definitely have to spend some time researching what I could get for what I could spend, long-term boat survival, etc. You are awesome for showing me the absolute last thing I would have ever thought of

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by closerseemsfurther

Hi Alex,
Leave all you got with me.
See I got that dog.
Now, go live off all those associates and friends as long as you can.
I will invest your money in producing gard dogs like "Killer" to the left.
You can have pick of the litter every 8 weeks. two picks!
Give a gard dog to a friend and repeat.
Send 100k to ljb general delivery asap.
be safe on your trip.
ljb
When the SHTF. Killer is the only investment

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracytheoristIAM

I don't really know what to expect when I return. I feel something will happen soon though, and I think it might be better for me to be on this trip (it's called The World Race for anybody that's interested in looking it up! You can search for me, Alex Burdett, on their website and check out all the pictures, videos, and stories I post from my trip!) if a collapse, riots, etc happen soon. As far as the exact timing of the trip... I JUST got out of the army on March 18, and this was the earliest I could get on it. It's a bit of me learning about who I am apart from the military... they did their best to take my identity/personality/life from me when I was in & this is the best way I know to find all those things again.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Your coming to ATS for financial advice? Bad idea I think.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
Invest in Australia.........things are going off. Even your average savings account will give you 6% Things are good.

Wrong, Australia is getting more and more big brother every day, an average oil change costs $200, they charge out apprentice labor rates at $115 per hour, rental is crazy, decent house or apt $2000 per month, cops hiding behind every bush with cameras, revenue raising, Good steak dinner $50, cameras every where, pack of cigaretts $25, out of control police dept acting on enforcing the laws not protecting and serving,and if you are not subservant you are going to Jail.

Government gone power crazy, refugees all over the place sucking up all benefits from Aussie pensioners, taxed at incredible rate, earn $100.000 taxed %50 refund $800.

Oh yes I forgot, you are probably going to be pulled over at least two times a night at roadside random intoxication tests and swab test for drugs, just a ruse to get the population used to authority, and when you get off the plane you will be met by at least 20 dressed in black jack booted johnnies, with canine, where you will be funnelled into one line for sniffing, Aussie is as they say there Rooted.
edit on 9-4-2012 by dreamstalker because: add verbage

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Put it all in Apple tomorrow morning!

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Jumpin and twistin M Jackson!!
I just read your OP again. You are leaving with 30k.
Comeing back with 100k all expenses paid.
And you want advice??
Alex go see Dilan Avery you could get his old job.
Or ah Cramer.
good luck
ljb

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

The sooner you decide where you want to take up permanent residence the better, then you can prepare yourself accordingly. It wouldn't make sense to spend money Arctic survival gear, if you choose to live in Jamaica! There may come a time when your money is worthless, so make sure you have a dry secure place where you can store goods for trading with others (including medical supplies), and be sure to have a different storeage place for your own use. Make sure you have plenty of amunition for your weapons of choice, and when you do think you have enough, double it! Once you are set to survive any unusually rough times that may come along, perhaps you should convert any money you have left into gold, then stash it somewhere.
I live in an area of closed down silver mines, some of which I'm sure have been forgotten about for years. Most have had their entrances dynamited, but over the years I've come across a few that must have been the work of only one or two prospectors. I also found a cave entrance that's only big enough to allow single file entry. About a hundred yards or so in it dips down to a pool of fresh water, then on the other side rises back up to an area that's completely dry, with the remains of some ancient fire lying scattered about. There is a slight movement to the air, though I haven't yet checked it out. I'm now at the age where I'll leave that up to my son. If the shtf that's where my family will be taking up residence.
Good luck to you! You're fortunate in having the resources to get yourself set up, but just be careful about whom to trust!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Buy a farm in brazil, when the SHTF food will be the currency of choice and brazil is a nice off the beaten track place to be out of the line of direct fire when the SHTF. plus I hear the women are pretty hot down there.
edit on 10-4-2012 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-4-2012 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by samkent

Yeah that was exactly my first thought was when I read this. How did $30K suddenly turn into $100K when all he's doing is traveling?

He states quite clearly in the original OP that he trusts none of the banks or anyone who's a banker or such like to hold his money on deposit while he's gone... let alone leverage it up and perhaps have a professional trade spot FX, commodity and market indices futures or some other such derivative trading instrument on a regular basis for him (the only possible way that anyone could even have a remote chance of booking a 300%+ return in 12 months!)...... but at the same time as he's saying all this, pulls out the usual inane 'talking point of the ignorant' about gold and silver only being some 'rock'.

... unless of course he's referring to accumulated 'military benefits' being paid to him in his absence (?). All in all, a very odd post and an even more odd request for advice and guidance from a faceless bunch of strangers, about something he's clearly got at the top of his list of concerns before he departs. But assuming for a minute that the writer of the OP is legit and in his naivety, he's honestly asking for some help and informed feedback to a legitimate concern he has about what to do with his roll.

His itinerary too is worth note. Australia (again, somewhat of a naive view of and fixation on Aussie's importance both strategically and economically going forward; China's impending 'hard landing' will wreck havoc with Aussie's ability to sustain its recent economy growth as much of its recent strength has been garnered from China's demand for its raw commodities, which is already starting to wane and bear on both its currency and GDP to some extent... when China really reins things in, the picture's likely to look much different), Cambodia, Vietnam/Laos, India, Malaysia... that's all understandable I suppose, but then Nepal, Tanzania, Rwanda, Kenya, Ukraine, and Romania?? The last 4 or 5 seem a bit out of place.

Actually, I'm not going to go any further into this... it just all feels bloody odd to me.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

hate to tell you,and its only cos its the truth,forget about ukraine romania etc.(and most of the countries you listed) if there was an outbreak of hostilities with the US most citizens would kill you on general principle.in britain (your closest allies) we are generally rude to americans (some invite it on themselves due to their general brashness).i however treat yanks as i find them,and visit states every occassion i can,generally i like you guys.
please if you intend even to go backpacking even if not in a shtf scenario please,please,research your list of countries better.i am ex military too and one thing that scares me senseless is if a mob of people turned on me.(would actually prefer it was zombies they would kill you quicker.lol)
i seriously urge you to travel elsewhere,south americas nice,you could prob traverse the country without being spotted if you so wished.most of europe should be safe too and take your pick of wide open spaces here too.some southeast asian countries could be ok,but hey its only one wrong political decision or revolution away from being hostile too.even the states or mexico or canada could work for your purposes.
i did not author this to annoy anyone,its simple fact and as fas from opinion as i could manage,just worried about a guy who has served his time for his country getting kicked to death in some country that has just added "istan" to the end of its name.have a think and look at the govt website of what countries are safe for tourists and what are sorta safe...i would avoid any of these,remember you wont have body armour and an m4.just a pack full of instant noodles and 6 pairs of pants.lol
good luck any which way

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Propulsion

But seriously, don’t invest in gold or silver. It wasn’t too long ago where gold was at $400.00 an ounce. I think if things get back to normal, the price will come back down again. You’d be wasting a lot of money.

I would maybe invest into in some land..

How can things get back to normal with the U.S continuing to import 25% more wealth in goods and services than it exports back to the rest of the world each year? Everyone holding U.S. dollars as a store of value in all countries are watching and realizing that unending importing is not normal, cannot continue and will soon change.

To price things in dollars as a way to hold value is the illusory scam of the bankers they pulled over your eyes, to value things directly as a human would is to see real wealth as it is, here and now. Land is a good way to hold value, not because it costs/is worth $100,000 but because it provides basic wealth like food, water, resources and life.

financialsurvivalnetwork.com...
"Importing more than you export means lots of empty containers. That visual manifestation of our trade deficit is what drivers see as they pass the Port of New York and New Jersey on the New Jersey Turnpike. In the first eight months of 2010, the port saw the equivalent of 700,000 more full 20-foot containers enter than leave.

45% of containers exported from port operator APM Terminals’ Port Elizabeth facility (part of the Port of New York and New Jersey) are empty, a reflection of the trade imbalance."

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
i say check out northern canada! buy some land for super cheap and live there!!
live off the land northern bc in the mountians or in northern quebec!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join